Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Hr regrets

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:59 AM
ashram

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hr regrets

First and foremost I love my z , but lately I've been getting the boost bug . I sometimes wish I would've gone with another de I had an 03 before it got totalled .

The main reason is now I'm seeing such great deals on super charger and turbo kits for the de z. Especially On this site classified section ,The kits from vortech, hks, and sts all suit my power needs . Just looking for a kit that would put me at about 400 bhp.
I know some are gonna say well just sell your hr and get a de. But I'm just curios if other hr owners have any regrets not getting the de.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:44 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I'm sorry the SCCA is going to restrict the HR in my class of SCCA road racing (40 mm inlet restrictors in Touring 3). Outside of that, both the DE and HR have proven to be dead reliable in NA form, which is in line with the virtues of the Z model line.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

At first I did, but the HR does have 'enough' of an aftermarket to get by. Granted I got my HR with the GTM TT kit already on it, so that made that part easy. Having owned 2 DE's in the past, I loved the support for those, it was always so easy.

That being said, I think there is more power to be had per psi with the HR as they seem to have a big gap of TQ vs. HP where the HP is much higher in the HR than the DE, granted the TQ seems to be lower than a DE in that regard. But to me that makes a pretty big difference. You can see the pronounced difference in MMA's dyno's where his car makes gobs of HP.

The other cool thing is the VHR crank is drop in, so easy to do a .2 L poor man's stroker. For TT kit support, you still have AAM, but don't forget, CJM does have custom manifolds/downpipes/turbo options and from what I recall about phunk's post on the370 is that they are going to also offer IC kits I believe so you'll eventually be able to piece together a kit that way too.

I think Greddy is supposed to get a TT kit around sometime hopefully in our lifetimes after the manifold cracking issues, but also you can check with FI on the the370 forums as they were open to putting their fast intentions TT kit on a HR, they just hand not had a HR owner bring a car by to do it on.

My only real complaint is the ECU options suck; the best we got is probably Dynost's Haltech Platinum or Elite with their custom harness option. I run the elite and it works fine, but it's not just plug and play or full ECU replacement which is a bummer somewhat, but it works. Heck I think MMA just uses UpRev reflash so you know at least in his experience even that works to very high levels, just maybe without the safeguards of say the Haltech, but doable.

So in short, at first, yes, but then I realized the HR does have enough support more less to get by and to get retarded power, it's just not as 'easy' as say a DE and getting so many TT kit options, but there is support, you just have to know where to look. And when you do boost the HR, it really responds with stupid power with ease in my opinion. Off of 10 psi base actuators my HR does ~580/450 on 9.0:1 w/ VHR crank & 91. MMA's posted about the shop who did his TT kit, so you could always take it there, it looked pretty damn nice. So while they are a bit harder to start with as a platform, one you do get the setup right, they lay down some awesome power, just takes more research and finding the right parts over the DE's.

Your 400 BHP desire will last like all of a week LOL. The motor can do way more than that stock, heck you'd probably only need like maybe 5psi to hit that on a conservative 91 tune with stock exhaust on a TT setup. So don't give up on the platform, it is super fun once you get it dialed in with the right supporting mods, just takes some work - post up your Q's on the HR platform here in this sub-forum and we'll try to help where we can.

Last edited by Juztin; 06-04-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:59 PM
ashram

Originally Posted by Juztin
At first I did, but the HR does have 'enough' of an aftermarket to get by. Granted I got my HR with the GTM TT kit already on it, so that made that part easy. Having owned 2 DE's in the past, I loved the support for those, it was always so easy.

That being said, I think there is more power to be had per psi with the HR as they seem to have a big gap of TQ vs. HP where the HP is much higher in the HR than the DE, granted the TQ seems to be lower than a DE in that regard. But to me that makes a pretty big difference. You can see the pronounced difference in MMA's dyno's where his car makes gobs of HP.

The other cool thing is the VHR crank is drop in, so easy to do a .2 L poor man's stroker. For TT kit support, you still have AAM, but don't forget, CJM does have custom manifolds/downpipes/turbo options and from what I recall about phunk's post on the370 is that they are going to also offer IC kits I believe so you'll eventually be able to piece together a kit that way too.

I think Greddy is supposed to get a TT kit around sometime hopefully in our lifetimes after the manifold cracking issues, but also you can check with FI on the the370 forums as they were open to putting their fast intentions TT kit on a HR, they just hand not had a HR owner bring a car by to do it on.

My only real complaint is the ECU options suck; the best we got is probably Dynost's Haltech Platinum or Elite with their custom harness option. I run the elite and it works fine, but it's not just plug and play or full ECU replacement which is a bummer somewhat, but it works. Heck I think MMA just uses UpRev reflash so you know at least in his experience even that works to very high levels, just maybe without the safeguards of say the Haltech, but doable.

So in short, at first, yes, but then I realized the HR does have enough support more less to get by and to get retarded power, it's just not as 'easy' as say a DE and getting so many TT kit options, but there is support, you just have to know where to look. And when you do boost the HR, it really responds with stupid power with ease in my opinion. Off of 10 psi base actuators my HR does ~580/450 on 9.0:1 w/ VHR crank & 91. MMA's posted about the shop who did his TT kit, so you could always take it there, it looked pretty damn nice. So while they are a bit harder to start with as a platform, one you do get the setup right, they lay down some awesome power, just takes more research and finding the right parts over the DE's.

Your 400 BHP desire will last like all of a week LOL. The motor can do way more than that stock, heck you'd probably only need like maybe 5psi to hit that on a conservative 91 tune with stock exhaust on a TT setup. So don't give up on the platform, it is super fun once you get it dialed in with the right supporting mods, just takes some work - post up your Q's on the HR platform here in this sub-forum and we'll try to help where we can.

Thanks for the feedback , believe it or not 400 h.p would keep me happy for quite a while , my z by no means feels slow to me , I'm just looking for more power to stay competitive on the streets with the new 5.0 stangs and camaro ss. With 400 bhp I believe this would give my z a much better power to weight ratio Compared to those cars.

as a owner of a tt350z you don't have to put your head down and look the other way when a 5.0 stang runs up on you . It seems like every week some one is selling there supercharger kit on this site at such great bargains . Unfortunately most will not work on my HR.

But the whole point of this thread was to know if any other HR owners wished they had gone with the de since there is such an abundance of fi de kits being sold at a bargain.

Last edited by ashram; 06-04-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Boosted Performance just came out with a mid mount kit. I think they're around $6700 and 400whp would be easy. Everyone who has his kit on the DE and 370Z love them.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the difference between stock hr whp to 400whp is very marginal.

you got boost bug? hr motor is perfect. turn it up to like 700whp hr motor has dual throttle bodies, getting to 700whp is easy doesnt take massive amounts of boost like my de engine.

should try shooting all the way up to 700 to 900whp with your hr than you will really feel a difference.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Tochigi_236

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Juztin

It's available now.
https://www.z1motorsports.com/forced...it-p-3965.html
Old 06-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Juztin

Wow, now that is news! Cool to see them finally get there kit back out for us HR guys!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:56 AM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin100
the difference between stock hr whp to 400whp is very marginal.

you got boost bug? hr motor is perfect. turn it up to like 700whp hr motor has dual throttle bodies, getting to 700whp is easy doesnt take massive amounts of boost like my de engine.

should try shooting all the way up to 700 to 900whp with your hr than you will really feel a difference.

Wait....your saying the the difference between 260whp and 400whp is margianal? Can i get what ever your smoking...140whp is a substantial jump in what ever you driving.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:30 PM
roplusbee

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as the HR goes, you should be able to use whatever works on a 370z on a 350z HR. Minus AC lines, intercooler piping and cat-back exhaust routing, it is a bolt on affair.

As far as turbo kit options, there are 3 shops that make twins (only one is worth the time) and 2 single options )again, only one is worthwild).

I spoke with Tony about putting a Fast Intentions Kit on my HR. For some reason the stars didn't align and now I have my Greddy 20G Twins Kit from my 370z on my 350z NISMO (running UPREV).

Bottom line is that if you want it, there are options out there.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:27 PM
ashram

Thanks for the feedback guys , but o one really answered my original question, which is if you guys had to do it all over would you go with the de 350z over the HR

now that most of the super charger kits and single turbo kits for the de can be had at such bargains these days .
Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a DE then switch to HR due to totaling my 2005 (first wreck ever). I can honestly say I have no regrets changing models however, my expectation differ from you. I do not care if the car have 300, 400 or 500 horse power so the need for speed bug bite doesn't affect me as much as it does to others. Most of my friends modify their car for speed, all money are spent in the engine whereas I modify mine for looks... suspension, wheels, body kit etc.

I think performance wise in stock form... the Z is fast enough (for me). Throughout the 10 years of ownership, I've see a lot of force inducted cars in the shop broken... always, or is "never running right". If you have the capability and time to maintain it yourself... good! But if you're like me who is not mechanically incline then staying NA is ideal.

You can sell your HR then buy a DE and turbo kit... and break even in the end, maybe?
Old 06-08-2016, 07:39 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Tochigi_236
Isn't that the old greddy kit? I thought the revised one was going to use precision turbos instead of the Mitsubishi turbos. I pretty much stopped holding my breath that the revised greddy kit for the HR would ever happen.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by roplusbee
As far as the HR goes, you should be able to use whatever works on a 370z on a 350z HR. Minus AC lines, intercooler piping and cat-back exhaust routing, it is a bolt on affair.

As far as turbo kit options, there are 3 shops that make twins (only one is worth the time) and 2 single options )again, only one is worthwild).

I spoke with Tony about putting a Fast Intentions Kit on my HR. For some reason the stars didn't align and now I have my Greddy 20G Twins Kit from my 370z on my 350z NISMO (running UPREV).

Bottom line is that if you want it, there are options out there.
Can you go into more detail about this? Was it physical limitations of the HR/the FI kit that made the project infeasible or was it something unrelated to the car and kit? The shop I take my car to said if I ever did want to go TT they think making a custom Fast Intentions 370z kit for my 350z HR would be one of the better options.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Juztin

FI will want your car at their shop, that is one of the reasons I didn't bite the bullet from my scenario but they were up for it last I talked with them - I just don't want to deal with the hassle and costs of shipping a car to Cali, trailing my car to CO from NM and back again soured my desire it doing that part myself. The other reason is I just don't want to throw away my GTM kit and would rather just frankenstein in upgraded turbo's with CJM's manifolds they are offering and use what I already have rather than rip and replace as the rest works fine.

JMS already has a proven HR TT kit that hit almost 1000whp, so they are another option to not overlook but probably $$$. Either way, all the current TT kits are pretty much $10K, the days of $7K TT kits seem to be gone.

Having the chance to do it all over again I would get a used 350z shell and put an LSx in it. That would be my #1 in all honesty (that's my next route after I am done maxing out my turbo setup unless I end up really liking the bigger turbos I want to run), #2 would be just to stick with HR as it's got enough support and ability like any other generation. Like others have mentioned you just end up using a mix of DE/VHR parts depending on what your doing.

Last edited by Juztin; 06-08-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:25 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If all you want to do is go fast in a straight line and 400whp, why not think about nitrous?
Old 06-10-2016, 02:32 AM
ashram

Thanks again for all the good feedback , it looks like the stillen HR kit will suit me needs , I'm only looking for about 400 bhp , which would probably be about 380whp. Or I may keep the z n/a and go with a Lexus isf or evo.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Old 06-10-2016, 04:49 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by ashram
Thanks again for all the good feedback , it looks like the stillen HR kit will suit me needs , I'm only looking for about 400 bhp , which would probably be about 380whp. Or I may keep the z n/a and go with a Lexus isf or evo.
Honestly with 400bhp you'll be closer to 350ish whp.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:00 AM
ashram

Originally Posted by travlee
Lol

Quick Reply: Hr regrets