Another throttle body cleaning, Surging idle thread - Page 3 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Go Back  MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion > 350Z Tech Area > Engine & Drivetrain > VQ35HR
Reload this Page >

Another throttle body cleaning, Surging idle thread

Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Another throttle body cleaning, Surging idle thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:35 PM
BipJip

The app seems to only work with certain obd2 readers. Look here first http://www.nissandatascan.com/ I'm using the NDS 3 for my 07.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Emvy

It says on the NDS website for NDS II: "It requires a Bluetooth adaptor that utilises the ELM327 chip for communication. They can be purchase from automotive Internet stores or eBay."

Edit: from NDS page: list of supported adapters: http://home.exetel.com.au/nds/NDSIIA...portedadaptors

Edit: Got this one, the recommended one from nds (http://www.obdinnovations.com/elm327...ntroller-v1-4/), will post back here after giving this a try.

Also, still awaiting APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor) and cam sensor going to put those in see if it helps. Put in a new pcv valve yesterday but old one was fine thought that maybe could have been causing some idling problems but obviously it wasn't. If none of this works I've ordered a backprobing kit, multimeter, soldering kits to start diagnosing wires for shorts etc.

Last edited by Emvy; 07-06-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM
BipJip

You won't need a back probe or anything else. The obd 2 app does data logging. If the sensor is getting verible data it must be working. If the value stays the same the sensor is bad. I data logged for a bit trying to diagnose the problem. I saw the throttle body's getting way different voltage readings. That's why I replaced my throttle body's.
The Following User Says Thank You to BipJip For This Useful Post:
pgs (12-19-2018)
Old 07-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Emvy

Hmm, yeah I've already replaced my throttle bodies with new ones, first thing I did and dealership actually quoted me saying that was the problem, didn't fix it though.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:45 PM
PDose

BipJip is right the idle has to be below I thought it was 800 rpms to relearn. When I was going through the idle surging issue my mechanic pulled a couple of my injectors and was still unable to get it to relearn. It is a great cheap fix when it works. Emvy it does sound like your connector needs to be replaced, I hope it helps! Update on mine I ran some cataclean through my cats. The check engine light came back on with the same car codes. Looking like I'm gonna have to go get some berks and replace my cats.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:20 PM
Emvy

Yeah, I'm worried that the ecu will just reset once I plug the injectors back in or it just will refuse to relearn like always, I do still have the surging idle which BipJip mentioned you can't have in order to use that injector method. So who knows, worth a try though...
Old 07-09-2017, 11:45 AM
PDose

From my understanding of that method once you pull the plugs and get the idle low enough, the relearn can take. Once you plug the injectors back in you will have to do another relearn. There have been a number of people that have used that to fix the idle surging, it didn't take with mine cause I had the ecu. But it's a cheap easy fix, so worth a try at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to PDose For This Useful Post:
pgs (12-19-2018)
Old 07-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Emvy

Tried pulling the injectors out today without taking the air intake plenum off, destroyed an entire connector housing trying to pull off the passanger side with needle noses, looks like im gonna have to get some different tools or take the plenum off in order to do this and more time, and also in need of a new connector housing now lol, still works though.

Edit: Got accelerator pedal position sensor, it's the one for the 2003-200(6)? models, doesn't fit.

Last edited by Emvy; 07-10-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:53 PM
BipJip

You only have to un plug the harness from the injector. Their is a tab on the connector, push it in and rock it back and forth and pull up. It doesn't take a lot of force. If you damaged the wires you will have to pull the upper plenum. Make sure you solder and shrink wrap the wires.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Emvy

Yeah, is it one that you just squeeze and pull off? Or does the tab go in towards the the front of the connector where the connections are?
Old 07-12-2017, 11:19 AM
PDose

I don't know if I missed it, but what year is your z? I actually had a mechanic try that method in diagnosis. I'd follow BipJip method with just pulling the wires. How badly did you damage it?
Old 07-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Emvy

I have an 07. Just the connector housing from what I can tell, half of the connector is broken off, the back part where the clip is, so not sure if I can still normally remove it, I'll try to take a picture next time I have a chance to work on it.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:38 PM
PDose

Ok, yea sounds like it needs to be replace but hard to say without seeing it. Ah you have the same year as me. You'll find parts on the 07 and up changed, ive had issues finding parts for the 07 occasionally. Some aftermarket parts like the Berkebile high flow cats are even labeled for the 370, but it's the part for our car! Love the hr engine, they didn't give us much to mod on that year though.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:53 PM
BipJip

Harbor freight has the long handle long nose pliers the set was like $20. Get the pliers open, grab around the connector press the tab in and wiggle bac and forth. It pops right off.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Emvy

Thanks for the tutorial much appreciated, will try to get this done this weekend, may see if i can get a long pair of pliers locally.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Emvy

Originally Posted by PDose View Post
Ok, yea sounds like it needs to be replace but hard to say without seeing it. Ah you have the same year as me. You'll find parts on the 07 and up changed, ive had issues finding parts for the 07 occasionally. Some aftermarket parts like the Berkebile high flow cats are even labeled for the 370, but it's the part for our car! Love the hr engine, they didn't give us much to mod on that year though.
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. For some reason they slightly changed the shape of the APPS, the one I got was even listed as a direct fit for my car, but Nissan doesn't make the part for the 07 anymore, they only sell it as the entire pedal assembly which costs like 5x+ as much, obviously to make more on parts. As far as the APPS is concerned, hopefully I can buy a pedal assembly from somewhere that I can return it to if that doesn't end up being the problem.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:30 AM
PDose

I might trying contacting a dealership to make sure they don't make it anymore. Fred Haas Nissan actually sells all their parts close to wholesale pricing online. If you call in or go in they charge you full price. But you can call to make sure they have it and order it. Is the link below the one you ordered?

http://www.carparts.com/details/Nissan/350Z/Replacement/Accelerator_Pedal_Position_Sensor/2007/RI32160001.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=CJqxu5qYidUCFcxL DQod58gAJQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Emvy

Originally Posted by PDose View Post
I might trying contacting a dealership to make sure they don't make it anymore. Fred Haas Nissan actually sells all their parts close to wholesale pricing online. If you call in or go in they charge you full price. But you can call to make sure they have it and order it. Is the link below the one you ordered?

http://www.carparts.com/details/Niss...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yeah that's the exact part I bought from carparts, it didn't fit. I checked on Nissans OEM parts website they only sell the entire pedal assembly there. Perhaps a dealership may have the part from other cars though?

Last edited by Emvy; 07-14-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:04 AM
BipJip

Did you get a obd2 Bluetooth? If so go to data logging on the app nsd3 the gas pedal has a value if it has a reading and fluctuates when you press the pedal the sensor is good. After you fix the injector harness do the relearn on the app, and plug the injectors back in and relearn the idle again an your good to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to BipJip For This Useful Post:
pgs (12-19-2018)
Old 07-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Emvy

yeah got it a few days ago out of town for the weekend going to do that when i get back and report back. may or may not need to replace injector harness hopefully i can do it without.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: