VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Another throttle body cleaning, Surging idle thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 02:27 PM
PDose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another throttle body cleaning, Surging idle thread

Long time lurker occasional poster

Ok I have done my research and there aren't many threads that seem to have been updated with what finally fixed this. Mine isn't fixed yet but will update this as it goes on. We will start with what has happened.

So to start it off I bought a stillen gen 3 intake. Decided to clean the maf, and the throttle bodies when I had the old intake taken off.

Got everything in place, and when I started my car up had a high idle. It was idling around 2000rpms then dropped to 1500rpms, and started the dreaded idle surge.

Went to my mechanic to get a relearn, since I couldn't get the pedal dance to work. He couldn't relearn it or figure out why, thought the throttle bodies looked fine. So went to the dealer to get them to do it. Said my throttle bodies were bad.

So I went up onto amazon and bought brand new throttle bodies. I installed them and went back to the dealer. They still can't program them. They told me to reinstall the old intake and bring it back, so they can diagnosis the issue.

The dealership thinks I either blew my cat or have bad o2 sensors.Now I haven't gotten a ses light at all, but it does smell like I am running rich. So I'm leaning/hoping there is a leak in the the gen 3, I have checked.

But that's where I am at will update how this goes. Oh and I haven't been driving it except to the dealer since this happened.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:56 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

What kind of throttle bodies did you buy off Amazon?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:13 PM
PDose

I bought new Hitachi throttle bodies
Old 06-01-2017, 01:20 PM
PDose

Update on today, I put the oem intake back on and went back to the dealership. They want to replace two o2 sensor for 1150. If that doesn't work they want to replace the cats for 2000 for parts, didn't quote labor. Lastly they want to replace the throttle bodies for 2400. I picked up my car and am going to get a second opinion.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:22 PM
zakmartin

How do the live readings look from the MAFs' PID and what kind of voltages are the O2 sensors showing (pre and post cat, both banks?) Are your lambda readings staying constant at 0/1?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:23 PM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by PDose
They want to replace two o2 sensor for 1150.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:49 PM
PDose

Haha I know that price is ridiculous, 700 for parts and 450 for labor. Now on the readings, I don't know. The dealership didn't give me that information, and I didn't ask...Also pretty sure they didn't take any readings and are guessing. Is there a way for me to check that?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

What did you use to clean your MAFS?
Old 06-07-2017, 01:49 PM
PDose

I used crc maf cleaner
Old 06-08-2017, 04:59 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Ok. That's a legit product.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:05 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

when you cleaned the throttle bodies, did you touch the butterfly valve any?
Old 06-08-2017, 04:44 PM
PDose

I did touch the butterfly valve, unfortunately I didn't read the warnings on that till afterwards. I have my ecu being looked at right now. I have read that if you touch the butterfly valve it will corrupt the ecu' s ability to read when the throttle bodies are closed. I have also read if the throttle bodies are disconnected you don't have that problem.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:31 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

If anything you messed up the gears that control it
Old 06-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Xrabbix

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Advice for anyone doing to peddle dance.

DONT.

Go buy a cheap Bluetooth odb2 scanner off Amazon for $30
Connect your phone via Bluetooth to your cheapo scanner.
Then download an app called NDSIII Lite

It has an option to idle air relearn among other nice little tools eliminating the need to do the peddle dance.

​​​​​this is what I did when I couldn't get the peddle dance to work when I cleaned my throttle bodies.
​​​​​​
Works like a charm. And I don't see many other people ever recommending this. Enjoy.

​​​​​

Last edited by Xrabbix; 06-09-2017 at 11:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xrabbix:
Atreyu'z 350 (06-14-2017), Julian Vargas (06-25-2020)
Old 06-10-2017, 12:06 PM
PDose

If it was just the gears, then it would work after I replaced the throttle bodies. Unfortunately there is a little more going on then me just messing up the pedal dance. I have had the dealer try the software reprogram for the idle relearn on both the new and old throttle bodies.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Xrabbix

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PDose
If it was just the gears, then it would work after I replaced the throttle bodies. Unfortunately there is a little more going on then me just messing up the pedal dance. I have had the dealer try the software reprogram for the idle relearn on both the new and old throttle bodies.
That's weird the new TBs won't work.
I replaced one of mine shortly after I got my car and was just able to bolt it on, do the air relearn and I was good to go.

​​​​​​
Old 06-10-2017, 09:09 PM
PDose

Yep every time they go to program it, it comes up with an open loop error. I will know about the ecu Monday or Tuesday. They aren't open on the weekends.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:22 AM
johnx818

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this problem when I cleaned the TB while I had stuff apart to install a JWT popcharger on my DE. I took precautions and disconnected the battery before doing anything after reading about problems with the TB. Had a shop try to diagnose the problem. Turned out to be the ECU after replacing TB and attempting multiple idle relearns. I don't know what I could've possibly done wrong that caused the ECU to go like that.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:46 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Xrabbix
Advice for anyone doing to peddle dance.

DONT.

Go buy a cheap Bluetooth odb2 scanner off Amazon for $30
Connect your phone via Bluetooth to your cheapo scanner.
Then download an app called NDSIII Lite

It has an option to idle air relearn among other nice little tools eliminating the need to do the peddle dance.

​​​​​this is what I did when I couldn't get the peddle dance to work when I cleaned my throttle bodies.
​​​​​​
Works like a charm. And I don't see many other people ever recommending this. Enjoy.

​​​​​
That seems new I don't remember seeing V3 the last time I looked.

Originally Posted by johnx818
I had this problem when I cleaned the TB while I had stuff apart to install a JWT popcharger on my DE. I took precautions and disconnected the battery before doing anything after reading about problems with the TB. Had a shop try to diagnose the problem. Turned out to be the ECU after replacing TB and attempting multiple idle relearns. I don't know what I could've possibly done wrong that caused the ECU to go like that.
If you didn't disconnect the throttle bodies and you moved them it's possible you created enough energy from turning the motors that you fried the inputs to the ECU. If you did disconnect the throttle bodies it's possible shocked(esd) the connector and that hurt the ECU.

It's possible the better way to do this is with the car powered on but not started and if you need to open the throttle bodies have a second person work the gas peddle.

Last edited by rancor; 06-12-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:41 PM
PDose

Johnx818 sounds like we did the exact same thing, I fully disconnected the battery but didn't disconnect the throttle bodies. What did you end up doing to fix your ecu? Did you get it reprogrammed or did you replace it?