Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Possible metal specs in engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:11 PM
StephenM57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible metal specs in engine

Hello, i have a 2008 350z, and let's just say it took a tow hitch to the timing cover. The timing assembly itself did not get touched, and everything else should be fine. After the accident i turned the engine off extremely quickly im suprised how quck i turned it off tbh), but after taking an airbag to the face it obviously wasn't instantly. My worry is that metal pieces got into the engine, and will ruin it once i rebuild the car, and get it running again. Without tearing apart the whole engine is there any way to "flush out", or check to see if any specs that could've possibly gone into the engine for the very short amount of time it ran after the impact? All piece's of metal in the timing compartment, and oil pan have been removed, and the timing assembly works fine. I just want to be extra cautious because the engine ran perfecttttllyyy pre crash, and i cant afford to engine swap.

Last edited by StephenM57; 03-25-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:20 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

The question is … did the boat hit the car after the hitch?

Get better pictures of the metal in the engine...is it metal from the timing chain case? are you 100% sure.

I wouldn't risk it unless you want to buy a whole new engine. I wouldn't be so worried about metal in the coolant as I'd be worried about metal in the engine oil.

If any tiny pieces of metal get lodged in the cylinder wall/piston, cams/cam lobes, crank/bearings/rods, they'll destroy them past recovery/salvage.

I'd almost tell you to park it and start disassembling so you don't risk losing any components.

Last edited by bealljk; 03-25-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:25 PM
StephenM57

Originally Posted by bealljk
The question is … did the boat hit the car after the hitch?

Get better pictures of the metal in the engine...is it metal from the timing chain case? are you 100% sure.

I wouldn't risk it unless you want to buy a whole new engine. I wouldn't be so worried about metal in the coolant as I'd be worried about metal in the engine oil.

If any tiny pieces of metal get lodged in the cylinder wall/piston, cams/cam lobes, crank/bearings/rods, they'll destroy them past recovery/salvage.

I'd almost tell you to park it and start disassembling so you don't risk losing any components.
I dont know if there's any metal in the engine, im wondering if i could flush the system to get any specs that possibly could have entered the engine because i want to be extra cautious. Engine hasn't been ran after incident, and im 100% sure the metal found was from the timing cover. Also sorry for confusion i was worried about the possibility of it being in my oil, not the coolant.

Last edited by StephenM57; 03-25-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:34 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenM57
I dont know if there's any metal in the engine, im wondering if i could flush the system to get any specs that possibly could have entered the engine because i want to be extra cautious. Engine hasn't been ran after incident, and im 100% sure the metal found was from the timing cover. Also sorry for confusion i was worried about the possibility of it being in my oil, not the coolant.
I would be worried that you didn't get it all out and it gets caught on something.
In theory and on paper any oil that is lubricating internals has passed through the filter … right? So you'd think that as long as it made it through the oil pump it'd get caught in the filter. Still too risky for me...what does an running HR engine cost? $2500?
Is this your daily driver?
If it was me - I'd near fully disassemble, clean/flush/hot bath, replace bearings, possibly replace rings, replace front/rear seals, replace water pump, inspect the timing chain components, possibly upgrade oil-pump gears, upgrade any internals that you've had your eye on.

and you might as well add some turbos! lol! just kidding!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:44 PM
StephenM57

Originally Posted by bealljk
I would be worried that you didn't get it all out and it gets caught on something.
In theory and on paper any oil that is lubricating internals has passed through the filter … right? So you'd think that as long as it made it through the oil pump it'd get caught in the filter. Still too risky for me...what does an running HR engine cost? $2500?
Is this your daily driver?
If it was me - I'd near fully disassemble, clean/flush/hot bath, replace bearings, possibly replace rings, replace front/rear seals, replace water pump, inspect the timing chain components, possibly upgrade oil-pump gears, upgrade any internals that you've had your eye on.

and you might as well add some turbos! lol! just kidding!
Problem is i have nowhere close to enough money to do that. I appreciate the feedback man!