Notices
West Canada British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Mantitoba, etc.

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:01 AM
RX_AGENT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage

Hi guys,

New Z owner here, just wondering what other Z owners do when storing their 350s in our -30 winters here in Alberta?

I know the basics of changing your oil, full tank of gas, wash and wax, trickle charge battery. Other than that, are there any other MUST DOs before storing over our long winters?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 AM
savvy

fuel stabilizer, put the car on jack stands and take off the tires, stuff rags in the exhaust to keep aminals out, box of baking soda inside to keep the smells down, some moth ***** in the engine bay to keep animals out. Other than that it seems like you have it covered.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put fuel stabalizer in a full tank of fuel. But I dont bother with jack stands and pulling the wheels off or moth ***** ect ect but my car is in town in a heated garage I guess if your in a rural area I would animal proof it. I do start the car maybe once a month just to turn things over.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:15 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Put car on stands in a nice warm garage and install turbo kit.... or bring it over to my garage and we can get them both done..lol.

Sylvan is correct about starting the car, however, make sure the engine goes up to normal operating temperature. If I was storing the car I don't thing I'd put it on stands.

Where in Edmonton are you?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
jfclark

I change oil before storage , check antifreeze to -40, check windshield washer fluid to ensure not bug wash or water , add fuel stab, clean outside , check tire psi, plug tail pipes , disconect neg bat post do with door open to have window in open position so when you close the door you do not damage the seal area, I put a bar of irish spring soap in the car and under the hood this keeps all animals out and is very effective I do not jack up the car or start during storage as this can create condendsation in the oil cover the car
Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by jfclark
I change oil before storage , check antifreeze to -40, check windshield washer fluid to ensure not bug wash or water , add fuel stab, clean outside , check tire psi, plug tail pipes , disconect neg bat post do with door open to have window in open position so when you close the door you do not damage the seal area, I put a bar of irish spring soap in the car and under the hood this keeps all animals out and is very effective I do not jack up the car or start during storage as this can create condendsation in the oil cover the car
I think it's a good idea to start the vehicle and bring it to full operating temperature. I have seen pictures of rusted cams do to the car sitting for an extedned period of time. Our winters are too long, and I'd rather not take a chance. Most people park the cars this month and won't be driving till mid May, and that's more than seven months. Gravity will pull all the oil down from the top half of the engine, and small amounts of moisture will creep up in there.

That's just my point of view.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 AM
RX_AGENT

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Put car on stands in a nice warm garage and install turbo kit.... or bring it over to my garage and we can get them both done..lol.

Sylvan is correct about starting the car, however, make sure the engine goes up to normal operating temperature. If I was storing the car I don't thing I'd put it on stands.

Where in Edmonton are you?
I'm in southwest Edmonton, right along the Henday b/w Hamptons and Terwillegar.

Yeah no Turbo kit yet haha......
Old 10-19-2008, 06:43 AM
RX_AGENT

Thanks guys, this is great advice, just a little unclear with some of the suggestions.

I'm unclear as to how the seals can get damaged if you don't roll down the windows a bit?

Also what kind and where do you get the fuel stableizer, is it the same stuff that comes with your lawnmower or is there different stuff you can get specifically for cars?

How long do you usually have to start the car to get it to full operating temp if it's just sitting in -30 weather?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:03 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by RX_AGENT
I'm in southwest Edmonton, right along the Henday b/w Hamptons and Terwillegar.

Yeah no Turbo kit yet haha......
Ha, I'm in Terwillegar. Not sure where Hamptons is though.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:42 AM
RX_AGENT

If you go on the Henday west you will find Hamptons, I'm right after the bridge on the Henday when you go west from Terwillegar, in Cameron Heights, you can see my house from the freeway......
Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 PM
apharmdb

Originally Posted by RX_AGENT
Thanks guys, this is great advice, just a little unclear with some of the suggestions.

I'm unclear as to how the seals can get damaged if you don't roll down the windows a bit?
Check out your window the next time you open and close your door. It rolls down a tad bit upon opening, and rolls back up to create a tight seal when you close it. Disconnecting the battery prevents this from happening so the glass will be in there real tight.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 PM
jfclark

fuel stab you can pick up at can tire auto section ensure after adding to run the car also best to store with a full tank this eliminates condensation
I have never ran a stored vehicle or engine during winter storage my boat 4.3l chev v6 since 1988 and no problems and back in the day my orig 240z and now 3 years on the 04 350 no problems
Old 10-31-2008, 06:57 PM
LOKI7337

Boosted you don't happen to drive a black Z with 19 or 20 inch chrome rims do you? I am also in Terwillegar (04 black track with nismo kit and 19'' Axis).
Old 11-18-2008, 07:33 PM
anj3l

did nay one drive their 350z in winter in alberta - edmonton. I'm thinking of driving it during winter. It seems like it might be fun
Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 AM
hash

same here! any albertans want to share their winter driving experiences with the z? i'm hoping to use mine as a daily driver (save for the few days where its really bad). space/practicality is not a problem. how's traction and handling? i'd use good snow tires and some sandbags in the back too probably
Old 12-17-2008, 09:14 PM
isktarum

If you have good snow tires, and don't go heavy on the throttle, its actually ok driving in light-moderate snow. But keep in mind, it doesn't take much to get that *** end out!

If the snow is deeper than 5-10 cm, on stock suspension, you'll get stuck very quickly.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 AM
BoostedProbe

My is locked up in the garage @ 20deg C. I live in Edmonton but work in Leduc, so I'm on the QE2 every day. I can't imagine driving the Z on these roads, it's a skating rink. You can't really do any braking, and I can't imagine rear wheel drive. I have a Caravan as my DD/beater with very good winter tires but it doesn't really help much.

Ice everywhere.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Konvict

my cars in a garage- is it necessary to have a full tank for storage? i have about a 1/4 tank...cars been sitting for a few weeks now..started it once but thats it and oil was changed recently

once snow has gone here...probably end of january im hoping..i will be driving my car again- still necessary to add fuel stabilizer?