Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

New ?; Resurrect LMGT4 v. Kazera KZ-A

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Darthvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New ?; Resurrect LMGT4 v. Kazera KZ-A

I know the general topic of Nismo LMGT4 v. Tire Rack's more inexpensive Kazeras has been discussed previously, but I don't think recently, and I have a different dilemma/question:

I like the price of the Kazeras, and I love the look of chrome rims on a super black Z, but I don't like the idea of going with a "value" brand made in Korea. On the other hand, I couldn't care less that a set of 4 Kazeras weighs approx. 25 lb. more than the Nismos; b/c they're shot peened, they should be almost as strong as the Nismos and stronger than the stock 18s.

OTOH, I like the fact that the Nismos are forged, as well as the undeniable "brand cache" of Nismo, but I'm one of the few that doesn't like the fact that the Nismos have a more agressive offset, i.e., they stick out farther, and I don't like the idea of a sticker on a premium wheel instead of the name engraved (kinda like buying a Ralph Lauren dress shirt w/an iron-on polo pony, IMO), and I know several folks have complained about having to remove/replace peeling or torn Nismo stickers on their LMGT4s. I also don't like the brushed look as well as the chrome.

I'm getting new rims after X-mas, and I can't make up my mind, and would appreciate all opinions re which rims to choose, or alternative suggestions (Yes, I have already looked at the wheel gallery). If anyone thinks it's relevant, I rarely track the car, d/n compete in autoX, but like to go fast. I will run the std 245/40/18 front and 275/40/18 rear, and w/in the next year, I'll be getting the smaller Stoptech big brake kit in front. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:19 PM
ZinMiami

From your own comments, it sounds like you have already decided! LOL

Made in Korea doesn't mean junk anymore, by the way. Since you don't care about weight and care more about durability and the LMGT4 look maybe you should go with the value brand.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:11 PM
NzZ

Default Re: New ?; Resurrect LMGT4 v. Kazera KZ-A

Seeing the wheels in person makes all of the difference. The Kazera wheels are nice, but the finish is just not as lustrous and perfect as the Nismos. I'm not entirely sure why they went sticker on the Nismos (seems they could've easily done something better)...but the polished lip and silver face look fantastic. If I had a set, I'm not sure if I'd put then on my car or in a display case in the living room. They're that good.

Same applies to most Volk and RH. IMO the Kazeras have the finish of an OEM wheel...acceptable but not impressive. You can get fantastic deals on the Nismos these days..I'd aim for around $1500.

NzZ
Old 12-14-2004, 02:42 PM
tylerdurden

If you don't care about weight or performance get the cheaper ones.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:20 AM
faris13

well i just went from my stock 17" rims and tires to the Kazera kza's with bridgestone s03's...yea the tries were more expensive than the rims lol. but Ive noticed an increase in performance, the stock 17" are still heavier than the kazera's and im pretty sure i had a greater overall tire diameter with the 17" setup with stock potenzas. Granted if you can afford the Nismo's then go with them, they are by far my favorite set for the 350z. but I honestly believe that for the price, the Kazer'a are a good alternative.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Luke@tirerack

I like the Kazera's

Old 12-15-2004, 09:02 AM
ZBoater

I like the NISMO's...

Old 12-15-2004, 10:47 AM
roydiculous

What size do is the Kazera?
Old 12-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Luke@tirerack

18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear
Old 12-15-2004, 02:34 PM
aaaaa

name value is different
Old 12-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Darthvol

Originally posted by aaaaa
name value is different
That's my fear. I don't want to pay just for a name. I don't doubt the Nismos are "better," to some extent, in terms of both weight and strength, but how much? [I remember a Murphy Brown episode in which she was riding in a guy's Land Rover and asked him, "Why not just buy a Ford Explorer and tape $25,000 to the hood?"]

It sounds like, except for the name factor, the Kazeras are about 80-90% of the the wheel that the Nismos are; am I wrong? I DO care about performance (I spend a lot of time driving through the twisty roads in the TN countryside, and I occasionally enjoy teaching frisky rednecks a lesson, when safe to do so), but I really like the smooth, "plain," low-bling chrome Kazeras; and the Nismos don't come in chrome.

What real, measurable performance difference will I appreciate with the Nismos? As for the 20-25lbs, I'm now on a diet. I don't mind paying for quality, if there's a real, as opposed to perceived, difference (I only wear Ralph Lauren & Brooks Brothers suits, for example), but I have seen some "rim snobbery" on the forum from a few posters in the past, based largely on brand cache, from people who spent so much on rims they had to go with the cheapest tires they could find.

It seems to me from a performance standpoint, premium tires would be at least slightly more important than wheels, since the tires are the only part of the car (we all hope) that actually come in contact with the surface of the road.

All that said, I admit I'd probably buy some chrome Nismos, if they existed.

Oh, and one last question: Does anyone actually have the chrome Kazeras? If so, please post and tell me how you like 'em, and post a pic it possible. Thanks, all.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Darthvol

Default Re: Re: New ?; Resurrect LMGT4 v. Kazera KZ-A

Originally posted by NzZ
You can get fantastic deals on the Nismos these days..I'd aim for around $1500.

NzZ
The lowest I've seen for Nismos is $1800, BTW. Who's selling them for around $1500?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:55 PM
NzZ

Default Re: Re: Re: New ?; Resurrect LMGT4 v. Kazera KZ-A

Originally posted by Darthvol
The lowest I've seen for Nismos is $1800, BTW. Who's selling them for around $1500?
I've seen a few sets from ebay, and a few posts on other forums where the Nismos run $1500-1600 + shipping. If you look around and call around there are definitely deals to be had.

NzZ
Old 12-17-2004, 08:03 PM
ZZtopp

The weight of the wheels has nothing to do with what number your own fat a$$ tips the scales at (of course I mean that in good way ). When you talk about wheels, you should be considering the unsprung weight, not the mass of the car.

You say you don't care about the weight of the wheels but you ARE concerned about performance? Makes no sense.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:15 PM
axxizzer

hahaah, its not like shaving pounds from your trunk or engine bay, THIS IS ROTATING WEIGHT the worst kind!!!

The Nismos(had a nice silver set) are beautiful, ang will net you better 1/4 mile, 0-60, and road-racing times. Not to mention gas-mileage n'stuff'

Get the nismos, you wont be dissappooinntteeedddd(because I cant spell for Schite)
Old 12-18-2004, 07:49 AM
mdacko

i have the Kazeras (silver, not chrome), and I LOVE Them.

http://www.a2sportcompacts.com/images/IMG_0465.JPG
http://www.a2sportcompacts.com/images/IMG_0471.JPG
http://www.a2sportcompacts.com/images/IMG_0478.JPG
http://www.a2sportcompacts.com/images/IMG_0468.JPG

the Kazeras are just as "shiney" as the Nismos, the lip is perfect, and if you are that concerned with the performance weight, than go get a 17" forged wheel. The Kazeras are lighter than stock, so unless youre a serious drag racer, and you really care about that extra Maybe tenth of a second in the quarter mile, just get the Kazeras. As far as handling performance, youre not going to notice a difference either way.

25 total pounds of rotating weight isnt going to make or break your driving experience.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:58 PM
yacoub

Your car looks awesome!
Old 12-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Darthvol

Originally posted by ZZtopp
The weight of the wheels has nothing to do with what number your own fat a$$ tips the scales at (of course I mean that in good way ). When you talk about wheels, you should be considering the unsprung weight, not the mass of the car.

You say you don't care about the weight of the wheels but you ARE concerned about performance? Makes no sense.
So, by your logic: Secretariat still would've won the Belmont by thirty-something lengths, even if Steve Cauthen weighed 300 lb., just as long as he wore lighter shoes. If you want to be scientific enough about weight, you would really need to know WHERE the weight in a particular rim was located, i.e., the lesser the % of wt. in a given rim is located on the OUTSIDE of the wheel would also be better from a performance standpoint, as well as less total weight of the wheel, because more power would be needed to move a pound of weight the farther out the wheel (away from the hub) it was located.

Along the lines of power/force, I'll bet your 19's, even iForged, aren't much lighter than 18" Kazeras, and they still suffer from having an additional inch of weight farther away from the hub to keep rolling.

A few people on the wheel forum try to one up one another by bragging about a rim being one pound lighter than another. Does it make a difference in 0-60 times? I'm sure it does, but are you willing to pay an extra $100 or $500 per wheel that could be spent on better tires (I've seen an unbelieveable number of folks blow the budget on rims and have to go for the cheapest tires they could find) or other mods for the same money, just because the lighter rims help you go 0.001 sec. faster? I'll bet that a 20-25 lb. difference for a complete set of rims doesn't come even close to making 0.1 sec. difference in 0-60 times (I might be willing to believe it in the 1/4).

ZZ, I know you love to flame, but to use your own putdown, to say that someone who is going to wider rims in the first place (and with Goodyear F1 or Michelin Pilot Sport [haven't decided which yet] rubber), and has completely "Crawfordized" his car and installed a Borla, as not caring about performance at all, simply "makes no sense". Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some folks care MORE than I do about performance, but I do want a real, measurable, significant difference for my performance dollar. Enjoy the AM.

mdacko & NzZ, thank you both for the helpful info.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:49 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by Darthvol

Along the lines of power/force, I'll bet your 19's, even iForged, aren't much lighter than 18" Kazeras, and they still suffer from having an additional inch of weight farther away from the hub to keep rolling.

The 19" Iforged wheels weigh 19.5 fr and 20.5 rr. I'll bet the 18" Kazeras are 26-27 pounds each....and if you get Pilot Sports, your adding even more weight than if you went with Toyos. I was planning on going FI (I still might), so 19's vs. 18's would mean little to me.

If the extra money is such a big deal to you, than get whatever you want. You've got a car that needs every HP it can get. I'd go with the Nismos.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:45 AM
kopo

Quick Reply: New ?; Resurrect LMGT4 v. Kazera KZ-A