Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

this cant be right... please advise on this tire wear(photos included)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 09:13 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default this cant be right... please advise on this tire wear(photos included)

to my knowledge I do not have feathering. never have, no noise or anything. instead I have something far worse...

pictures will tell the tale. FYI these tires have never seen a track. the ones photographed are goodyear eagle F1-DS3 or something along those lines. 275/40/18.

thats the inside edge on the rear tire. the last pic is of the opposite side, same wear pattern, slightly less deep.

oddly the front have the same wear pattern.

the tires life is complicated but Ill explain, hopefully itll help.

I purchased these tires at approx 8000miles ago. fronts and rears. fronts or Toyo T1S, not pictured. rears were the eagle F1s.

4000miles ago I switched rears to toyo RA1s. the fronts were just rotated(unmounted side to side). the rears were kept with intent to remount this winter. RA1s would be summer tires, eagles for winter.

hope that made sense.

went to discount tire here to get the rears swapped, and they wont do it citing secondary rubber showing. I never took a look at the old tires when they were removed 4000miles ago. but sure enough, as you see...

either way, my RA1s are showing identical wear and are becoming a hazard to use any longer. the fronts have the same wear, but on both sides since they were rotated.

I cant go through a set of tires in 4000miles, at 250 a tire, this is insane. the camber is noticably off and seems to be the problem..., but I dont know what to do about it. to my knowledge stock camber in the rear is fixed, and only slightly adjustable in the front.

is there something I can buy that will adjust the camber? if you even think thats the cause.

Old 12-23-2004, 10:27 PM
juicedZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you are right about camber being the problem. the same thing happened to me on my previous car. i had to buy a camber kit for my old car im sure they have something like that for the z
good luck
-Eric
Old 12-23-2004, 10:28 PM
ss350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im no expert but it looks like you have too much negative camber on the rear. Pick up some Kinetix camber and traction arms to fix this.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:25 AM
zillinois

Excessive camber. Mine did the same thing on the rears even with camber brought into spec. You will want to go with even less camber than spec. Maybe -1.2 or -1.3 If you want them to last longer. The less camber the better for tire life. Also get the tires rotated (swapped off the rim) before they get too bad. That's your best bet for tire life. I got about 8000 miles from my T1S's.

Tire life is really bad on ultra high performance tires like RA1's. You will burn through those like mad driving them on the street. 4000 miles is not especially horrible for RA1's they are a near race compound. I bet that thing cornered like no tomorrow though.

Rear camber can be altered no problem up to a point. But to
alter camber in the front you will have to get new aftermarket suspension pieces. Front A-arms are not cheap.

Last edited by zillinois; 12-24-2004 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:38 AM
ares
Veteran

cheaper than buying new 230$ tires 2x as often.

Ill look into kinetix, they dont crack do they?
Old 12-24-2004, 08:49 AM
synth19

Before you go ahead and get a camber kit, I would like to know if you have dropped your car (if so, how low)?

and

if you did drop your car, did you get an alignment? I have the TEIN S-Tech's and the drop is only .6/.7. The camber was REALLY bad after the install, after an alignment...no problems! Everything was corrected. NOW..if you did a drop, like 1.0" or more...then you WILL Need a camber kit.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:51 AM
synth19

to my knowledge, T1S are directional tires, thus can't be rotated.

Originally posted by zillinois
Excessive camber. Mine did the same thing on the rears even with camber brought into spec. You will want to go with even less camber than spec. Maybe -1.2 or -1.3 If you want them to last longer. The less camber the better for tire life. Also get the tires rotated (swapped off the rim) before they get too bad. That's your best bet for tire life. I got about 8000 miles from my T1S's.

Tire life is really bad on ultra high performance tires like RA1's. You will burn through those like mad driving them on the street. 4000 miles is not especially horrible for RA1's they are a near race compound. I bet that thing cornered like no tomorrow though.

Rear camber can be altered no problem up to a point. But to
alter camber in the front you will have to get new aftermarket suspension pieces. Front A-arms are not cheap.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:00 AM
zillinois

Originally posted by synth19
to my knowledge, T1S are directional tires, thus can't be rotated.
They can be "rotated". (Unfortunate use of terms) You have to have the tires swapped off the rim. You put the "left" tire (the one with excessive camber wear on the passenger side of the tire) on the right side of the car and visa-versa. Then the inside becomes the outside, but still facing the same direction.

Last edited by zillinois; 12-24-2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:13 PM
ares
Veteran

no drop. only mods in this realm are the rims.

going to try and get an alignment anyway, having a few problems finding someone willing and able.