Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Best Tires for Nismo Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 06:47 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best Tires for Nismo Wheels?

Just got my 18" Nismo LMGT4 wheels. For those of you who have the Nismo wheels what tires are you using? I have been looking at the new Michelin Pilot Sport PS-2s, but it appears that Michelin doesn't make the tire in the 275/40 size that Nissan recommends for the rear, although they do make it in 265/40 which may fit the rear. However, I would like to stay with the recommended size. They also make the regular Pilot Sport in 275/40. Michelin does make the recommended front tire size of 245/40 in both the Pilot Sport and Pilot Sport PS-2.

I have also heard good things about the Goodyear Eagle F1s and the BF Goodridge KDs. It looks like you can get the correct sizes in those tires. I want something that gives good dry traction (I don't drive my Z in inclement weather) and decent treadware. What do you guys think?

Last edited by ZPirate; 02-06-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:23 AM
ksj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bridgestone SO-3's on mine. Excellent wet and dry traction. I have about 16K miles on them and expect to get another 10K or so before replacing them.

I convinced a friend with an M5 to put them on when he needed to replace his stock tires. He thinks they rock wrt traction.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:31 AM
lowrider

I like my Dunlop SP9000s a lot. I've been a Dunlop customer over the years, I have them on my truck, my wife's car, my truck and my Harley. The 9000s have not let me down. IMO, they have the best cost to performance ratio out there.

Lou

PS - couldn't post a picture?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currenty looking for a performance all season tire sinc ei had recently moved to an area where i need them (when i was in Texas having a summer only tire was perfect), the one set that is made in the NISMO sizes and has good traction ratings across the board (dry, wet, snow) were the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S, and were very affordable
Old 02-06-2005, 11:43 AM
tylerdurden

BFG G-Force KDW's.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:47 AM
NzZ

Z04

Do you have the Pzero Neros M+S? How do they compare to the stock RE040 - a big loss of grip in the dry? I live in TX and don't need all seasons, but those tires are so much cheaper than summer-onlys I will consider getting them anyway. Esp the way this car eats up tires.

NzZ
Old 02-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Z04

Originally posted by NzZ
Z04

Do you have the Pzero Neros M+S? How do they compare to the stock RE040 - a big loss of grip in the dry? I live in TX and don't need all seasons, but those tires are so much cheaper than summer-onlys I will consider getting them anyway. Esp the way this car eats up tires.

NzZ
actually right now i got Kumho MX on the car and they are doing pretty decent but are starting to lose their grip a bit. They were pretty good down there for a summer tire. IMO though anything is better than those stock potenzas
Old 02-06-2005, 01:33 PM
isugoo

I have Goodyear F1GS-D3.
Max performance summer tires but i like those alot.
Here is some links of survey.

MAX perf. summer:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

ULTRA HIGH perf. summer:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=UHP

ULTRA HIGH perf. all-season:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:55 PM
ZPirate

Originally posted by isugoo
I have Goodyear F1GS-D3.
Max performance summer tires but i like those alot.
Here is some links of survey.

MAX perf. summer:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

ULTRA HIGH perf. summer:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=UHP

ULTRA HIGH perf. all-season:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Hope this helps.
Isugoo,

Thanks for the info. That is good info about different brands of performance tires. Sounds like the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 is a very good tire and very similar to the PS2s. I had considered the Goodyear's my second choice to the PS2s, but it may become my first choice if I can't get the PS2s in the correct size.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:52 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Goodyear Eagles on Nismos!

The PS2 does not come in the corrrect sizes. I have the GS-D3 Eagles in the correct sizes on my Nismos. I could not be happier. In Texas, they are perfect with great dry grip and great grip in light or moderate wet conditions. As always, heavy rain demands caution (with any tire). I have 25,000 miles on the tires now, including 4 track days on them, and I have 4-5/32nds tread depth left so I will go another 5-8,000 miles before expecting to need changing. The GS-D3 on the track gives ample warning at the tire limits, and breakaway is gradual. I am considering going to the Goodyear F1 Supercar tire next, but if not considering the Supercar Eagle, I would happily stick with the Eagle GS-D3 tires.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:38 AM
ZPirate

Default Re: Goodyear Eagles on Nismos!

Originally posted by ChinaClipper
The PS2 does not come in the corrrect sizes. I have the GS-D3 Eagles in the correct sizes on my Nismos. I could not be happier. In Texas, they are perfect with great dry grip and great grip in light or moderate wet conditions. As always, heavy rain demands caution (with any tire). I have 25,000 miles on the tires now, including 4 track days on them, and I have 4-5/32nds tread depth left so I will go another 5-8,000 miles before expecting to need changing. The GS-D3 on the track gives ample warning at the tire limits, and breakaway is gradual. I am considering going to the Goodyear F1 Supercar tire next, but if not considering the Supercar Eagle, I would happily stick with the Eagle GS-D3 tires.
ChinaClipper,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I am going to go with the Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires. Since he couldn't get the PS2s in the correct sizes the guy I buy tires from was trying to get me to purchase the regular Pilot Sports, but they are not as highly regarded as the PS2s or the GS-D3s. I wanted to make sure he was right that the PS2s didn't come in the correct size for the rear Nismos.

By the way I see you are President of the Z Club of Texas. I am a member of the Emerald City Z Club here in Greenville, North Carolina.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:33 AM
ChinaClipper

Default Re: Goodyear Eagles on Nismos!

Originally posted by ZPirate
ChinaClipper,
By the way I see you are President of the Z Club of Texas. I am a member of the Emerald City Z Club here in Greenville, North Carolina.
Cool!
Actually, I was elected club President for 2003 and 2004. Someone else gets to be Prez THIS year!
Will you be at the ZCCA Convention in Syracuse this summer? I can't wait to drive Watkins Glen!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Rahtok

Toyo has Proxies in the right size -- that's what I'm using. I haven't used a lot of the others here, but the Proxies have been great in the rain -- and we get a little bit of rain up here...
Old 02-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Drumtemp

Another nod for the Goodyear GS-D3's. I've got 6000+ miles on mine and wet, or dry they feel great.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:11 PM
ZPirate

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I am probably going to go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I was very happy with my KDW's original tread... they were like rails in the rain and held up really well on the road course...