Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

255 front and 285 rear with +30 front and +24 rear- will they work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Losing Grip II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 255 front and 285 rear with +30 front and +24 rear- will they work?

i did a search!!!!

ok. i have a set of Volk GT-7s 19/9.5 +30 front and 19/10.5 +24 rear. i know the 245/275 combo will work but. like most others, i want more portection and less stretch. my question is will a 255/285 combo work with these rims or will i have a major concern with rubbing? also, if i go to the 285/255 combo should i decrease the sidewall height from 35 to 30 or keep it 35 all around?

thanks,

john
Old 02-27-2005, 03:24 PM
apharmdb

It will most likely rub with the 285's since your car is dropped. But you will be fine if you roll your rear fenders. Front will fit with 255's no problem. I'm running 285's on 10.5 +22 and all is well with rolled fenders and -1.8 camber.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by apharmdb
It will most likely rub with the 285's since your car is dropped. But you will be fine if you roll your rear fenders. Front will fit with 255's no problem. I'm running 285's on 10.5 +22 and all is well with rolled fenders and -1.8 camber.

so the difference between my back and yours seems to be that my rim is 2mm more inside the fender than yours, right? therefore would that 2mm be enough to offset the 285 series tire concerning rubbing, or at least make the rubbing less than yours so that i would need to role the fender?

when you roled your fender, could you still use your splash gaurd or does the back lack a splash gaurd? how did you role them? baseball bat? pro.?

thanks,
john
Old 02-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by apharmdb
btw: r u running 35s or 30s?

john
Old 02-28-2005, 12:44 PM
bwzabodyn

Well, I have that exact same tire setup on the way, but with slightly different offsets (19x9.5 front +29, 19x10.5 rear +29 ---> SF-winnings) and I'm about 85-90% sure that I'm not going to rub in the rear (no worries about the front) - but I'm going to have 5mm more room to play with than you, so it's a risk... worse comes to worst, just get the fenders shaved and call it a day...
Old 02-28-2005, 01:31 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bwzabodyn
Well, I have that exact same tire setup on the way, but with slightly different offsets (19x9.5 front +29, 19x10.5 rear +29 ---> SF-winnings) and I'm about 85-90% sure that I'm not going to rub in the rear (no worries about the front) - but I'm going to have 5mm more room to play with than you, so it's a risk... worse comes to worst, just get the fenders shaved and call it a day...
Can you post a picture of your setup? I am also considering getting SF Winnings in the same size, but different offsets (+19 front/+17 rear). But if +29 all around looks good, maybe I may settle for that. BTW, did you lower your car?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by bwzabodyn
yes i suppose i could role or shave the inside of the rear fender, but that would only pro-long the time it will take for me to have enough money to turbo my ride. i gave it some thought today as to what to do next to my ride and came to this conclusion: i will be doing a turbo next and then right after or at the same time, ill do a BBK and probably call it a day then. after those two mods are within my reach ill settle down with the car and just do maitnence. when the shocks need rebuilding tho, i will switch from my Tein to JIC. i have JIC on my s2000 and supra and find they provide a much better ride and offer more adjustability in the way of tuning. plus they dont squeek. i mean i think the new Tein don't squeek , but ive found the quality of JIC is worth its price, although, customer service- well they say they have customer service but they really dont. it sucks.

i will just have to see what happens when i put this rims on. if it rubs, it rubs. depending on how bad will show me whether or not i need to spend the dough roling or shaving the rear fenders.

john
Old 02-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Losing Grip II

just ordered:
(2) 255/35/19 BFG T/A KDW 2
(2) 285/35/19 BFG T/A KDW 2

from tirerack.com for just a bit over 1000.00. actual total shipped, second day air, was 1093.00 i beleive. great prices! best of all, i will have them soon and tirerack.com is located in FL.

john
Old 03-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Losing Grip II

Default Look what came today!!!!

o man...
Attached Thumbnails 255 front and 285 rear with +30 front and +24 rear- will they work?-p1010001-small.jpg  
Old 03-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Losing Grip II

...look at what the tires will be going on. (actually had them for a few months now)
Attached Thumbnails 255 front and 285 rear with +30 front and +24 rear- will they work?-p1010014-small.jpg  

Last edited by Losing Grip II; 03-03-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Losing Grip II

Attached Thumbnails 255 front and 285 rear with +30 front and +24 rear- will they work?-p1010015-small.jpg  

Last edited by Losing Grip II; 03-03-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Losing Grip II

now for the encore...

-move little doggie!
Attached Thumbnails 255 front and 285 rear with +30 front and +24 rear- will they work?-p1010018-small.jpg  
Old 03-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Losing Grip II

these are beautiful peices. kinda like the Crawford headers,(except, no welds ) feel like i should be hanging them on the wall!
Attached Thumbnails 255 front and 285 rear with +30 front and +24 rear- will they work?-p1010019-small.jpg  

Last edited by Losing Grip II; 03-03-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Losing Grip II

one more to get you drooling before they go on tomorrow...

john
Attached Thumbnails 255 front and 285 rear with +30 front and +24 rear- will they work?-p1010022-small.jpg  
Old 03-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Losing Grip II

omg, i think i killed the server, either that or it sucks. uploaded the front tires (2 pics) as well. some how the second shot of the rim, which was uploaded first [i typed on the first pic uploaded] was suppose to be the first rim.wtf?

anyways heres what i got if all the pics suddenly disappear.

BFG T/A KDW2s
Frt. 255/35/19
Rr. 285/35/19

350EVO.com
Suspenion Package:
Control Arms
Trailing Arms
Camber Arms

rims ive had for awhile till i could afford the suspenion kit.

GT-7: Diamond Black w/ Polished Lip
Frt. 19/9.5 +30
Rr. 19/10.5 +24
i also have the Center Caps and tomorrow i will have my Long Duraaluminum Rays Lug Nuts (locks too), black.

wondering if it will rub with a 1inch drop, or maybe lower (real low )

what do you all think? as far as rubbing, should i keep a more conservative drop or go lower?
right now i have like a .2 drop with my Tein Basics. you think a total of 1inch lower than stock will cause significant rubbing?
also, who else has close offsets to me with the same tires??? how is rubbing? do you role or cut/shave the rear fenders? how much does it cause to shave/cut the fenders?

...john

Last edited by Losing Grip II; 03-03-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:32 AM
mgl

lemme know what you think about those tires... (wet/dry handling/performance and road noise)
i've been thinking about getting a set of those bf goodriches, but have heard that they are loud.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:09 PM
BostonZ

Hey, I'm kinda intruding on your guys convo. but what you guys are talking about interests me.

Question: I have rims and tires, just haven't put um on yet.

Front 19x8.5 w/ 255-35/19 offset 29
Rear 19x10 w/ 285-35/19 offset 39

Got these from tire rack, and they say that they will fit, but i'm sceptical.

Could you let me knowwhat you guys think

It's still winter here, so I have a little time before they go on.

What about lowering too? I'm thinking the ProKit, will i need to adjust camber?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by mgl
lemme know what you think about those tires... (wet/dry handling/performance and road noise)
i've been thinking about getting a set of those bf goodriches, but have heard that they are loud.
WET Peformance- i notice these tires grip well even in a down pour. very happy that these Ultra High Performance tires are capable of that becuase it rains often in FL, like today

WET Handling- i couldnt give you a good opinion on this because when im driving in the rain, i tend to drive much slower and very carefully. tourists are the reason. id go faster, but tourists make it impossible and actually cause me to drive aggresively to protect myself. scarey but true.

DRY Performance- good. they stick, but i dont know if thats the size of the tires or the tires themselves that have affected that. in the end, i still get sideways going into second, and still chirp third continuously.

DRY Handling- they really hold the road. very happy! but again, i dont know if the size is actually the cause of the this or the tire itself.

Road Noise- this is where im especially happy i bought these. Even with their increased widths and obvious aggressive tread pattern, these are quiter than my nitto 555s or my potenzas! i was expecting they would be louder with the more rubber but i actually beleive now that a wider tire quites things down, because, for ever square inch on the tires they're is less weight/load than on a smaller, slimmer set. in fact, i would rate these, in terms of noise, just below michelin. my michelins on my honda are superior when it comes to noise. i can't even notice them and best of all, they stick well in wet or dry weather. to bad a full set cost me over a grand for my honda.

john
Old 03-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by BostonZ
Hey, I'm kinda intruding on your guys convo. but what you guys are talking about interests me.

Question: I have rims and tires, just haven't put um on yet.

Front 19x8.5 w/ 255-35/19 offset 29
Rear 19x10 w/ 285-35/19 offset 39

Got these from tire rack, and they say that they will fit, but i'm sceptical.

Could you let me knowwhat you guys think

It's still winter here, so I have a little time before they go on.

What about lowering too? I'm thinking the ProKit, will i need to adjust camber?
with those offsets i can asure you that you will have no rubbing issues to worry about. my front is similar in offsets but one inch wider and they dont rub at all, ever, period. my rear rub slightly over one certain bump in my town where the new asphalt layer is about three inches taller than the existing layer, and then they only rub when im in excess of 45mph. my rear off set if +24mm which means my rims sticks out about 15mm more than yours.

i think you will be fine but do suggest a going with a 285 rear to add some protection to the rim's lip, if you have one. i am currently lowered about one inch all around. with less than a fingers width gap between my rear tire and fender, it looks great. im sure if i raised it however its wouldnt rub at all, but that would require another alignment.- im out of money the prokit is an "alright" kit. i actually wouldnt suggest it only because the difference in drop and spring rate isn't equally match and thus could cause some damage to your car. basically they are like stop springs with about 40lbs more load rate added but drop the car more than an inch in the rear and close to an inch in the front. basically you might have more of a concern with bottoming than rubbing. the prokit is made to feel like stock but lower the car. it isnt made for drivers looking for my handling. i did a Tein Basic coilover setup and find i might be making a switch to JIC to have the ability to adjust dampening force and have a higher spring rate. however, this all comes at a cost. the higher the spring rate, the easier it will be for me to bend a rim. as for camber, its always a good idea to get a camber kit even when dropping it ever so slightly. i cant even begin to find words to express the difference i felt when i got my car aligned after i dropped it. its essential in my book, but optional in others. might also be cheaper for you in the long run, concerning tires. if you start to wear tires out fast enough, youll find it costs you more not to have the kit and alignment than to get it done right.

john
Old 03-08-2005, 11:07 AM
bwzabodyn

what are you doing? you can't give a review without posting pics of the setup on your car first! pics, please!

Quick Reply: 255 front and 285 rear with +30 front and +24 rear- will they work?