Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Air Pressure goofiness

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:35 AM
teacher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pressure goofiness

Hope someone can help on this:

I have a perf. Z that now has Tracks (as of Thanksgiving). My TPS are in the old wheels seeing as how my near-new Tracks came with newish tires and no TPS. I didn`t feel like having someone dismount (scraaaatch) these tires and mount the TPS, etc...

No problems at all for 4 months and about 3,000 miles of driving. I`ve cruised on the highway for over an hour, gotten to higher speed in the boonies, etc.

Yesterday/Today on an interstate trip (150 mile drive), I had my yellow `tire` dash light go off after about 30 or 40 miles of driving. Before leaving I pumped my tires up to 38psi for good mileage. The sidewall on these stock Re040`s say they`re good for 51 psi max!

So, in 40 degree weather, the dash light that looks like a hollow tire picture with some arrows pointing to the middle of it lights up and stays lit. I pull over and check. Surprisingly one tire had gone up to 44psi after 50 miles of 75-80mph driving. The others were around 40psi. I lowered all (hot psi now) to about 39psi. The light was off as I restarted my car , but came on again after another 20 or 30 miles. I finished my trip.

Today, on the return trip ( 42 F) the same light warning came on after 20-30 miles. I started out with 36/37psi cold in the tires. When I stopped many miles later I saw that none of my tires exceeded 40 or 41 psi. My gauge is a decent one.

Are all Z`s whining about 40 psi and up?? Could it be that I`m misinterpreting this warning light? The warning light does look a bit like a cooking kettle... The car worked fine. No fried sidewalls, leaks, or explosions In daily driving I think 34 psi is pretty normal for me, but I hate thinking that a few more psi (for trips, road course, etc) is gonna hit me with this warning light.

Any thoughts?
Jack
Old 03-24-2005, 05:56 PM
BadDriver

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/106370-tire-pressure-sensor.html

So are you using the track rims that have no sensors in them and wondering why the low pressure light is coming on? Thats what it sounds like, if thats not the case please be more clear in your explanation.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:17 AM
teacher

Default Yeah, the dash light for the tires comes on...

Exactly, Bad Driver, (I read your thread from 1/24/05)

The warnign light on the dsah comes on after 45 minutes or an hour of highway driving. The light is never on other than that.

I put Track rims/Re040 tires without TPS onto my car to replace the stock perf. rims and worn tires.

Since you had a similar result I`m not worried anymore. I don`t know if there is a certain psi that triggers the warning light, or what else is to blame, but it is not peculiar to my car, and is certainly harmless. If the light comes on more than once in a blue moon (long trips) I may look into pulling a fuse, or remounting my TPS in these track rims.

Jk
Old 03-25-2005, 12:39 PM
lgarcia

I had the same issue. I bought Nismo wheels after my Track wheels were stolen. I didn't buy the TPS sensors at that time and mounted new tires. I drove like that for a year and just recently installed TPS sensor I bought from forum member. During the time without the sensors, the light would go on for long periods of time, the chime never went off, but the light flashed as if low pressure were the problem. I had the dealer re flash the new sensors and it all works well now.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:14 PM
BadDriver

Originally Posted by teacher
The warnign light on the dsah comes on after 45 minutes or an hour of highway driving. The light is never on other than that.

I put Track rims/Re040 tires without TPS onto my car to replace the stock perf. rims and worn tires.

Since you had a similar result I`m not worried anymore. I don`t know if there is a certain psi that triggers the warning light, or what else is to blame, but it is not peculiar to my car, and is certainly harmless. If the light comes on more than once in a blue moon (long trips) I may look into pulling a fuse, or remounting my TPS in these track rims.
To be clear you are saying the rims that are currently mounted on your car don't have the tire pressure sensors in them? If thats the case that is my situation also. In this scenario the low pressure warning light usually comes on after about 50miles of driving. It resets everytime the car is turned off. What keeps confusing me about what you say is that you seem to think the warning is in some way influenced by the actual pressure in the rims. If you don't have the pressure sensors mounted in the tires, how do you think the car can know what your tire pressures are?