Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

My Hiro!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:31 AM
lascala26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Hiro!

My car is getting my 19" Axis Hiros installed on Wednesday! I can't wait! I've been riding on the stock 18"s for 2+ years now. I spent all day cleaning the Z with the clay bar, Z1, Z2 and the Enhancer spray. Replaced my stock shifter with another stock shifter b/c I had a ring that rubbed all the silver paint off. Putting in new 350z (not OEM) floor mats that are hot! Now when these new shoes go on with Toyo TS-1 245/35/19 Front and 275/35/19 Rear, it is going to be perfect. I spent close to 1 year looking for wheels which included everything from TSW to Volks. I just think the Axis Hiros are perfect for the car and somebody who will hit the 1/4 mile track maybe once or twice a year. So excited. Now I just hope the TPS system works. I'll be sure to throw up some pictures on Thursday...I hope!

* I expect feather in 5k miles. My car is a feathering magnet.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:50 AM
SkiTTlez

did you get the new floormats with the heelpad? i just did and they rock don't forget the pics when you get them on!
Old 07-05-2005, 07:00 AM
wtf no turbo

What the hell is taking so long.Ive had my new volks on like a week now.Ill give ya a buzz is a couple weeks after my aps st is in so we can hit the track.

Also get that feathering fixed.i know a guy donw here that can do it if you have no luck up there.Those tires are way to pricy to be replacing twice a year.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
lascala26

I brought my wheels to the shop and their balancing machine burnt out! WTF? I'm on hold until next week. This sucks!!!!!!

I got these floormats: http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merch...gory_Code=IA25

They are made much better than stock.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:56 PM
boma

Originally Posted by lascala26
My car is getting my 19" Axis Hiros installed on Wednesday! I can't wait! I've been riding on the stock 18"s for 2+ years now. I spent all day cleaning the Z with the clay bar, Z1, Z2 and the Enhancer spray. Replaced my stock shifter with another stock shifter b/c I had a ring that rubbed all the silver paint off. Putting in new 350z (not OEM) floor mats that are hot! Now when these new shoes go on with Toyo TS-1 245/35/19 Front and 275/35/19 Rear, it is going to be perfect. I spent close to 1 year looking for wheels which included everything from TSW to Volks. I just think the Axis Hiros are perfect for the car and somebody who will hit the 1/4 mile track maybe once or twice a year. So excited. Now I just hope the TPS system works. I'll be sure to throw up some pictures on Thursday...I hope!

* I expect feather in 5k miles. My car is a feathering magnet.

Please tell us if the TPS works on these wheels!. What are the width of the rims?

I'm looking to get the anthracite in 19" =)
Old 07-17-2005, 03:31 PM
lascala26

I'll let you tomorrow. They are getting putting on and my research indicates that the TPS should not be a problem. My fronts are 8.5 and the rears are 9.5. I like your choice in wheels. Nice job!
Old 07-17-2005, 05:10 PM
ZZtopp

Seen this?

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...light=duflacci
Old 07-17-2005, 06:55 PM
lascala26

Yeah...I saw this a while back. There was a small percentage of Axis Hiros made at their old plant that experience these defects. Axis is a good company and will gladly replace your wheel if you have a crack like that. No reason to be concerned. Axis is a mid-line wheel company. Good wheels at a good price....but not high-end racing wheels like Volks, but not entry level like TSW.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:22 PM
ZZtopp

Yeah...I saw this a while back. There was a small percentage of Axis Hiros made at their old plant that experience these defects. Axis is a good company and will gladly replace your wheel if you have a crack like that. No reason to be concerned. Axis is a mid-line wheel company. Good wheels at a good price....but not high-end racing wheels like Volks, but not entry level like TSW.
If you're comfortable, then fine. Axis' willingness to replace a defective wheel would mean nothing to me if something like this happened while driving at high speed and/or g-forces. I'd never risk my car or my life rolling on those wheels, especially with so many better options to choose from.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:22 AM
mrhammer

I never heard of a TSW wheel cracking like this...hopefully they can address this so it wont happen again. The Hiros do look nice...good luck with them.
Attached Thumbnails My Hiro!-cracxis.jpg   My Hiro!-crack2.jpg  

Last edited by mrhammer; 07-18-2005 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:07 AM
lascala26

Basically any Axis you buy new now will not suffer from that defect. Most have been recalled. To the best of my knowledge...nobody has been injured on these rims because of this problem. All wheels are subject to stress and cracks. I was skeptical to buy these wheels until I spoke with Axis and the guy who sold them to me (WTF NO TURBO on this forum) and both assured me that there WAS a problem and it had been fixed. Show me where you can get a better 19" wheels for $1100-$1500. Too many people read posts without doing their own research to really understand the root cause of the problem and then dismiss products accordingly. I agree Axis had a problem with this will. I will also agree that it is fixed.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:02 AM
pvknight

Let us know about the TPS I'm considering the Hiro's too.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:53 PM
ZZtopp

Basically any Axis you buy new now will not suffer from that defect. Most have been recalled. To the best of my knowledge...nobody has been injured on these rims because of this problem. All wheels are subject to stress and cracks. I was skeptical to buy these wheels until I spoke with Axis and the guy who sold them to me (WTF NO TURBO on this forum) and both assured me that there WAS a problem and it had been fixed. Show me where you can get a better 19" wheels for $1100-$1500. Too many people read posts without doing their own research to really understand the root cause of the problem and then dismiss products accordingly. I agree Axis had a problem with this will. I will also agree that it is fixed.
What else would you expect Axis to say? I wonder what part of the casting process caused the problem, and exactly what changes did they made to fix it? These are the questions I would need answered before putting myself on the line with Axis wheels. The fact that wheels with such a "defect" even made it to the street is appalling enough......but I do wish you good luck with them. They are certainly good looking wheels for the money.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:07 PM
lascala26

I will keep you posted. In my research I found about 6 people who had a crack or stress facture in their wheel. Almost all in the same place. IMO...Axis is a good company...compared to a company such as NISSAN....who refuses to admit that many 2003 and 2004 Zs have chronic suspension/tire problems. At least Axis admitted they made a mistake. They'll instantly replace the wheel on their dime. I wish Nissan could do the same.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:17 PM
ZZtopp

I will keep you posted. In my research I found about 6 people who had a crack or stress facture in their wheel. Almost all in the same place. IMO...Axis is a good company...compared to a company such as NISSAN....who refuses to admit that many 2003 and 2004 Zs have chronic suspension/tire problems. At least Axis admitted they made a mistake. They'll instantly replace the wheel on their dime. I wish Nissan could do the same.

The tire problems are little more vague than a very visible crack, so the issue is easier to dodge, but I hear ya. Nissan really dropped the ball on that one. My buddies with other sports cars are always busting my ***** about tire feathering (which I never even had). It's getting old.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:27 PM
lascala26

You're lucky.... I've had three sets of fronts and I am at 18.5k miles. Totally sucks. I'm hoping my Toyo T1-S tires hold up a little better. Speaking of that....how do you like yours?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:31 PM
ZZtopp

You're lucky.... I've had three sets of fronts and I am at 18.5k miles. Totally sucks. I'm hoping my Toyo T1-S tires hold up a little better. Speaking of that....how do you like yours?
I love 'em.....about 7000 miles on them and they still look like new. No feathering, superb grip, and a comfortable ride.....you can't ask for much more than that out of a high performance tire.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:38 PM
lascala26

Sweet.....hopefully I can say the same thing tonight. I'm picking up my car in an hour.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:48 PM
lascala26

Just got my car back and the wheels look great. I plan on washing it tomorrow and taking some pics. I'll put them up then. FYI....TPS works perfectly with the 19" Hiro.
Also...very surprised that my ride quality improved going from 18" to 19". My stocks were shot in the rear and the fronts were feathered.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:59 PM
ZZtopp

Just got my car back and the wheels look great. I plan on washing it tomorrow and taking some pics. I'll put them up then. FYI....TPS works perfectly with the 19" Hiro.
Also...very surprised that my ride quality improved going from 18" to 19". My stocks were shot in the rear and the fronts were feathered.
Awesome! My ride improved as well when I went up to 19's. Must be the softer sidewall of the Toyos.....either way the stock tires are garbage. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: My Hiro!