Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Look what UPS did to my rim!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 04:09 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Look what UPS did to my rim!

So i get the new nismo rims i ordered in the mail and one box looks all beat up. I pull it out and what do i find. A small gash in the rims inside lip. Should i be worried? Im thinking its not a big enough deal to confront ups bc all they will say is "improper packaging" bc thats what they always say. Man i hate UPS, my rim better not be damaged to where it hurts the tires Oh yeah this is the same rim just two pics.
Attached Thumbnails Look what UPS did to my rim!-p1010371.jpg   Look what UPS did to my rim!-p1010370.jpg  
Old 08-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Biochem7
Regular

Originally Posted by gatti-man
So i get the new nismo rims i ordered in the mail and one box looks all beat up. I pull it out and what do i find. A small gash in the rims inside lip. Should i be worried? Im thinking its not a big enough deal to confront ups bc all they will say is "improper packaging" bc thats what they always say. Man i hate UPS, my rim better not be damaged to where it hurts the tires Oh yeah this is the same rim just two pics.
I say confront them. You have nothing to lose. I would be f****** pissed if that happened to my Nismo's.

Where did you order from. Maybe they can help you out.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:42 PM
gatti-man

I called them and they said it left them fine in factory packaging i might add. Unless the rim is damaged to the point of not working right im not going to *****, it is the insiode of the rim not the outside (thank god). I just cringe evrytime someone ships UPS to me, they suck hard.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:36 AM
the7ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see what happens first hand.
Most rim manufacters dont package properly. I have seen a 20" Crome rim which weighs about 40 lbs fall through the box and hurt an employee. And all thats holding the box together is 1 lousy stripe of glue.

HAHA we even have certain accounts where the box is just folded closed no tape, no glue, no staples, its just folded over on itself and we have contacted the shipper many times and it NEVER gets fixed.

Contact UPS, file a cliam, Take pictures of the box, of the damage, If they deny your claim due to improper packageing its not your fault but the people who sent you the rim. Get a hold of the shipper and yell at them.

Next time examine the box upon deliverly and if thier seems there is damage open it and inspect it. If the contents are damaged refuse deliverly.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:01 AM
Queens 350z

Originally Posted by the7ferret
I see what happens first hand.
Most rim manufacters dont package properly. I have seen a 20" Crome rim which weighs about 40 lbs fall through the box and hurt an employee. And all thats holding the box together is 1 lousy stripe of glue.

HAHA we even have certain accounts where the box is just folded closed no tape, no glue, no staples, its just folded over on itself and we have contacted the shipper many times and it NEVER gets fixed.

Contact UPS, file a cliam, Take pictures of the box, of the damage, If they deny your claim due to improper packageing its not your fault but the people who sent you the rim. Get a hold of the shipper and yell at them.

Next time examine the box upon deliverly and if thier seems there is damage open it and inspect it. If the contents are damaged refuse deliverly.
the7ferret is right. Rims are just in the box. I have never seen them covered with like bubble wrap. And if the box is heave the driver migth be pissed and just drops it.
Sorry about what happened. Hope it gets worked out.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:11 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

I am very sorry to hear about this damage .. but this does happen when a shipper does not package the product to properly protect it from the usual "bumps" during transit.

As an alternative, I highly recommend using FedEx .. whenever possible.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:26 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are considering keeping them since the scratch is on the inside, I highly recommend taking them to a wheel shop to measure wheel roundness/runout on a new Hunter balancing machine. They can tell you how much the rim is "out of round" so you can make an informed decision.

Most wheel manufacturers will not warranty your claim once tires are mounted.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:48 AM
LATEZ

All NISMO product I've purchased have always been well packaged... did the box look repackaged ?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 994 Likes on 755 Posts

sry to hear that gatti, i know how much you were anticipating the rims! and before 5 o clock!, all that anxiety and now this eh?

hope it wont affect my rims being shipped...

sometimes you cant, the ups guys around here just ring the doorbell, drop the package and run (literally)!!! By the time i get to the door theyre off the porch and just turn around and point! Only when i have to sign (rims would be one of those cases) are they still at the door. but i doubt they want to wait for me to inspect the boxes.

gonna test their patience, got three boxes coming withing the next week (oem 17s, new skirts, and got my bumber replaced finally!! cant wait to put it on!)
Old 08-02-2005, 11:25 AM
the7ferret

IT they ring the doorbell and leave its called a DR or Driver release and basicly the driver is taking responsibility for the box saying that he left it in a safe location. If its damaged take it to your nearest UPS facility (NOT the UPS store) and complain that the driver just left it like that.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:29 PM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had so many problems with UPS I finally gave up. Fedex gets all my business now. I avoid UPS whenever possible. They have "lost" computers and parts on several occasions. They have also had a package of mine sit at the depot for 3 days before finally having it delivered.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:42 PM
konspec

well it's good to have an ups man shead some light on a dim topic for most
Old 08-02-2005, 09:05 PM
gatti-man

Actually ive worked with UPS before and ive witnessed first hand the lack of professionalism UPS has for their packages. These were professionaly boxed in original packaging rims. They were forged and had a gash in them, you dont get that from a box falling on something else or an accident, its gross incompetence. Its what ytou get when you pay people 7/hr to move packages at 4am! The box had staples, was re-inforced all over the place yet still looked like it had been through hell with holes in the middle of the box (where no weight from the rim was). Also yes the lovely UPS guy rung and ran leaving 2k worth of rims on my door step. I hate UPS, i cringe when other peoplke suggest using them too. NBot to mention they are usually 30-50% mroe expensive then DHL or fedex.

To sum it up the rim was fine and perfectly round. The only thing my shop said was that i cant unmount tires and then re-use them as that ridge is semi-sharp and may cut the tire while unmounting them. Oh yeah anfd the rims perform outstandingly well, still a happy purchase for me.

edit: id like to add that UPS doesnt give a rats a$$ about complaints. They get them all the time and rarely do anything about them in my experience. I honestly dont know how they stay in business besides their corporate accounts. Complete suck.

Last edited by gatti-man; 08-02-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:09 AM
JSON

Hmm....I see a trend with UPS

Look what UPS sent me

I've noticed Fedex, DHL, and USPS give me shipments with clean boxes, but UPS always seems to have damaged boxes..hrm. This time it was a bit beyond damaged.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:48 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
The only thing my shop said was that i cant unmount tires and then re-use them as that ridge is semi-sharp and may cut the tire while unmounting them.
Are you talking about the ridge of the machine they use or the ridge on the rim?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:19 AM
MDeezy

Its how a item is packed but many UPS people just toss around packages. I've seen many drivers unloading at my old job, and they would justy toss some packaged around, its scary. No wonder they offer up to a $100 insurance with anything you ship.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:29 AM
paco3131

confront them what is the worst thing taht can happen, If not call the company you bought them from and talk to them. Its better to know if you have a good rim and its perfect.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:24 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Are you talking about the ridge of the machine they use or the ridge on the rim?
The ridge created by the small ding on the rim. I guess i could file it down but i didnt want to risk screwing it up.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:27 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by paco3131
confront them what is the worst thing taht can happen, If not call the company you bought them from and talk to them. Its better to know if you have a good rim and its perfect.
Ive called the company and they were pissed. They offered to RMA but id be waiting another 4 weeks and also id have to pay for return shipping since it wasnt their fault. Since there was nothing wrong structuraly with the rim i decided to keep it. I also notified UPS but got the same old bs about improper packaging and to "just not accept it" yeah after i chase down and kill the ups guy who is not walking but running back to his brown truck lol. Oh well its all good i duess i should be happy the dumbass didnt totally jack my stuff up and i can still use it lol.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the tires go on the front so you do not have to worry about the gash cutting into the tire. the NISMO Wheels are not reverse mount wheels.

Factory Packaging is made to protect the product in Freight Shippments.

Shipping by UPS is not considered Freight Shipping since the parcels are moved from one truck to another which puts more stress on the boxes as they are tossed around...

We add more packing materials to most larger / expensive products we ship out to ensure they are not damaged.

Quick Reply: Look what UPS did to my rim!