Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Warranty voided for putting new rims/tires!!! TRUE STORY

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 07:54 PM
CervanteZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty voided for putting new rims/tires!!! TRUE STORY

I had some work done on my 05. Got some new rims and tires and some tein springs (couldn't/nor would want to pay for some coilovers). Alignment and balancing was done to specs. But one slight problem (which is somewhat common among some z's) the steering wheel was about 5 degrees to the left, thus pulling right. I took my Z to the nissan dealer just yesterday and the "gentleman" who I will refer as GIL a.k.a the c()cksucker took one look at my rims and said, "you've voided your warranty by installing new rims and tires". Didn't even noticed the car being a pube hair lower (3/4"). HE THEN TOLD ME THAT NISSAN HAD SENT ALL DEALERS A WARNING LETTER ADVISING TO CANCEL ALL WARRANTIES THAT BELONG TO NISSAN VEHICLES WITH AFTERMARKET WHEELS AND TIRES.
I called his bluff, asked him "respectfully" to put it in writing, mentioning the words magnuson-moss act of 1975 http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8124 Which states that "If a dealership denies warranty coverage, they should be willing to do so in writing." He didn't want to put it in writing, so I snitched on his thieving a$$ and called consumer affairs-Nissan. Now my car is going to be inspected by a regional inspector, and chances are, I might see GIL... spelled G-I-fu*king-L... again...

I guess it's all about the principle of the whole thing... anyone else have comments on the matter, please do so.

Love, peace and chicken grease.

Last edited by CervanteZ; 09-20-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:03 PM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stick it to um
Old 09-20-2005, 08:14 PM
IllumEstVeritas

Good Job... let us know about it.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:15 PM
CAN0802

It seems as though you were going to pay for the alignment/repair yourself, so what's the deal with "GIL"? You were much nicer than I would have been, I would have made a scene.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Juno

Good for you!! Stick with it!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 PM
CervanteZ

Def. keep you posted. I had already paid for the alignment after putting the springs on. It was actually done by a reputable performance shop in Sacramento. Got the sheet with all the numbers and all the mumbo jumbo which is all to specs. Mr. Gil wanted me to pay him $95 beans for the analysis and alignment.
I wasn't really that nice, I was about 2 steps from getting kicked off the lot. Somehow he felt threatened when I started talking with my jaw shut and performing the "tiger" stance. lol.
I didn't want to lose it, because I already knew I had this sucker. Making a move would only damage my credibility and my case.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:34 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You did exactly the right thing, get them to put it in writing. They won't do that as they know that cannot deny you warranty without proving the mod caused the problem.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Nano

the guy is just ignorant. your car is still under warranty, the issue is that before any warranty work can be done, it has to be returned to stock. You cannot do an alignment under warranty if the car has aftermarket wheels / springs/ suspensions. It has to be returned to stock, and then aligned properly...

this is true for the feathering TSB as well
Old 09-20-2005, 09:16 PM
manny007

Thats werid he would say that.
I received a letter from nissan about the tire roar and negitve chamber issues on the 03 Z's, along with the letter was another leter reguarding tire reimbursement. basicly if you have replaced the two front tires due to uneven wear you are entitled to a full reimbursement.

I called in three seperate occations to confirm my reinbursement even though the wear and replacement of tires is on a 19" tire. All three times they assured me I would be coverd.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:19 PM
CervanteZ

Originally Posted by Nano
the guy is just ignorant. your car is still under warranty, the issue is that before any warranty work can be done, it has to be returned to stock. You cannot do an alignment under warranty if the car has aftermarket wheels / springs/ suspensions. It has to be returned to stock, and then aligned properly...

this is true for the feathering TSB as well
Good point Nano, though it doesn't state that anywhere on my warranty booklet...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:21 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I went to the dealership the service guy advised me to put my factory rims/tires on if I made an appointment. He said then they might look @ it. I was like fock it and left. I really just want my compression rod fixed but that's really not gonna happen.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you go boy. givem hell!
Old 09-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by CervanteZ
Good point Nano, though it doesn't state that anywhere on my warranty booklet...
Warranty booklet states that warranty only covers nissan(and some nismo) original parts. Since alignement/ride/steering is dependent on the wheels and suspension setup, they "cannot" perform warranty work on those since they are not nissan OEM.

It's stupid, but they are covering their ***. Imagine someone with a totally inapropriate suspension system and wrong wheels (offset, dimensions, bore size etc...) complaining his car now rides like shi*. a) it has nothing to do with nissan b) no amount of work would fix the problem.

In your case a smart service rep should recognize whether the problem is related to your setup/wheels/springs or is indeed a car defect... unfortunately Nissan made the system idiot proof for themselves... not the customer, lol.

Last edited by Nano; 09-20-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

bah... your just going to the wrong dealer...
Old 09-21-2005, 04:29 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe he was talking about the tire warranty. He was right...you did void the warranty that covers the tire replacement. The rest of your car is still covered.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:37 AM
King Tut

I had some work done on my 05. Got some new rims and tires and some tein springs (couldn't/nor would want to pay for some coilovers). Alignment and balancing was done to specs. But one slight problem (which is somewhat common among some z's) the steering wheel was about 5 degrees to the left, thus pulling right.
Sounds to me like whoever did this "Alignment and balancing" didn't know what they were doing as pulling to the side is commonly an alignment issue. Also with modified wheels and suspension Nissan has no responsibility to do any warranty work on the wheels or suspension so you should be paying for whatever work they do. I would take it back to the first shop you paid to do the alignment and balance and tell them your car is pulling to the right.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:24 AM
KenWH

Did the shop that installed the springs do the initial alignment? If so, why didn't you take it back to them so they could correct their mistake.? They should do it for no charge.

As to the tire/suspension warranty, Nissan sent out a letter not too long ago which states they are extending the tire/alignment warranty an additional year due to the feathering issue. The stipulation is that the suspension, wheels, and tires MUST be stock and the tires must be showing signs of feathering. It even says if your have non-stock parts to put the stock parts back on before bringing it in for warranty claims on the tires and/or suspension..

But since you were paying for the alignment and not trying to claim it as a warranty alignment I don't see what the service guys problem was.

Yet another shining example of the wonderful customer service at a Nissan dealership.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 AM
CervanteZ

Originally Posted by King Tut
Sounds to me like whoever did this "Alignment and balancing" didn't know what they were doing as pulling to the side is commonly an alignment issue. Also with modified wheels and suspension Nissan has no responsibility to do any warranty work on the wheels or suspension so you should be paying for whatever work they do. I would take it back to the first shop you paid to do the alignment and balance and tell them your car is pulling to the right.
That's the funny thing about it. Alignment was done "properly" and everything is to factory specs, yet the steering wheel is 5-10 degrees to the left. But if other people in my350z.com (I searched) had the same problem, wouldn't that be a factory error?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

you havent had headers installed yet have you?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:25 AM
King Tut

That's the funny thing about it. Alignment was done "properly" and everything is to factory specs, yet the steering wheel is 5-10 degrees to the left. But if other people in my350z.com (I searched) had the same problem, wouldn't that be a factory error?
I believe there is an early TSB for the 2003s but that is it. If the car pulls to one side it is almost always the alignment. If it drove fine prior to the wheels and suspension, then it might be something improperly installed or a poor alignment. To add to what Jason said, the other common reason for the steering wheel being off is when people disconnect the steering shaft to install a header on the driver side.

Quick Reply: Warranty voided for putting new rims/tires!!! TRUE STORY