Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Warranty voided for putting new rims/tires!!! TRUE STORY

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 09:34 AM
tnsxsear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealerships and service techs just dont like working on Warranty jobs. Service techs get paid by the amount of jobs they do ie. 2hours for a brake job,2hours for a wing install etc.. But when it comes to warranty work they have to do it without getting any hours for it. -Paul
Old 09-21-2005, 09:50 AM
HipHopPro

Nissan sales aftermarket wheels. What happens when they put it on cars?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Vitamin Z

Originally Posted by CervanteZ
HE THEN TOLD ME THAT NISSAN HAD SENT ALL DEALERS A WARNING LETTER ADVISING TO CANCEL ALL WARRANTIES THAT BELONG TO NISSAN VEHICLES WITH AFTERMARKET WHEELS AND TIRES.
All warranties? I'd ask him to see the letter.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:14 AM
CervanteZ

Originally Posted by Vitamin Z
All warranties? I'd ask him to see the letter.
Oh trust me, I didn't want to hang out there too long. I was getting heated. But when I called Nissan consumer affairs, they told me that they've never heard of such letter being sent.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:16 AM
CervanteZ

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
you havent had headers installed yet have you?
Nah, that's all I have on the car that's different. Springs and tires/wheels. Oh yeah and a little MLB sticker on my steering wheel... you reckon that's what's throwing the center off??? lol
Old 09-21-2005, 01:12 PM
xtrememan315

Show them dirt bags what's up
Old 09-21-2005, 02:33 PM
bmxox

That's the funny thing about it. Alignment was done "properly" and everything is to factory specs, yet the steering wheel is 5-10 degrees to the left. But if other people in my350z.com (I searched) had the same problem, wouldn't that be a factory error?

I used to work at a garage and alignment machines suck in my opinion. We had a brand new hunter laser alignment rack ($75,000) and I absolutly hated doing alignments. All specs would be perfect, take it down the road and the wheel would be off a little or it would still pull just a little bit. Sometimes it took 2 alignments to get it right, I'd take it back to the shop you originally got the alignment done at and tell them the wheel is off, its definitly an alignment issue.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:57 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sorry but if you changed the suspension significantly (springs/lowered) then threw in some additional modifications (wheels/alignment) I don't see how you can expect Nissan to perform warrenty work on your suspension/steering.

Also, your reference to the letter from Nissan. What you might be thinking of is the letter they sent out regarding the front tire feathering fix. The only way they will do the tire swap or alignment is if the OEM tires, wheels and suspension are on the car. If you have aftermarket wheels you have to put the OEM wheels back on the car to bring it in for the feathering TSB.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:20 PM
CervanteZ

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I'm sorry but if you changed the suspension significantly (springs/lowered) then threw in some additional modifications (wheels/alignment) I don't see how you can expect Nissan to perform warrenty work on your suspension/steering.

Also, your reference to the letter from Nissan. What you might be thinking of is the letter they sent out regarding the front tire feathering fix. The only way they will do the tire swap or alignment is if the OEM tires, wheels and suspension are on the car. If you have aftermarket wheels you have to put the OEM wheels back on the car to bring it in for the feathering TSB.
1. If alignment was done and everything came out to specs, you wouldn't want to take it in to Nissan and make sure it's not a factory problem that has nothing to do with alignment? I'm no mechanic, but **** does happen. What are you? a nissan dealer?

2. I know what I heard, and the homeboy working at Nissan knows what he said to me. Why would he mention anything about feathering (which he didn't, ergo it's irrelevant) if all I said was the steering wheel is off? Maybe I have an outdated warranty booklet, because I don't see "that" rule anywhere.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:56 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. If alignment was done and everything came out to specs, you wouldn't want to take it in to Nissan and make sure it's not a factory problem that has nothing to do with alignment? I'm no mechanic, but **** does happen. What are you? a nissan dealer?
Its not a factory problem. Factory problems don't just pop up AFTER you have installed new suspension pieces and wheels and tires. As soon as you altered the suspension there is nothing factory about it as installing springs requries removing the entire front strut assembly. There is any number of things that could have gone wrong during the install and none of which are Nissan's problem. We know you are no mechanic and it looks like some **** did happen, so take it back to whoever you paid to do the install or who you paid to do the alignment because Nissan has no responsibility to you at this point unless you are willing to pay them to fix the mistake of the other shops or go back to a fully OEM suspension and wheels.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:58 AM
King Tut

Oh yeah you might want to re-read your warranty booklet:

Can I modify my vehicle or add accessories not authorized by Nissan?

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,...0.html#AS25602

Your Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover repairs for damage or conditions which are determined to be due to the installation or use of non-Genuine Nissan Accessories available at the time you order or purchase your new Nissan, as well as after purchase from your Nissan dealer.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:48 AM
CervanteZ

True, True...
Old 09-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Forrest80

that sucks, this means my dream of buying SSR's then selling my stock wheels go down teh tube, i wont be able to get a alignment if needed.

What does a alignment cost by nissan any ones?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:17 AM
King Tut

Don't let that stop you. On most cars alignments are NEVER covered under factory warranty as it is more of a maintenance issue. With that being said most people will agree that Nissan dealerships rarely give the best alignment. A good 4 wheel alignment from a respectable shop will normally run you over $100 especially if you have a modified suspension. There are cheaper places to go and some even give lifetime alignments where you pay once and can have it re-done as many times as you want.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:27 AM
rednezz

The problem of the steering wheel being offset was probably because the steering wheels wasn't perfectly straight when they aligned your car. During an alignment you have to put the wheel perfectly straight and lock it in position so it will not move. Once its locked you can align the car. If your wheel is not locked in exactly straight you can align the car to within all the factory specs and the steering wheel will be offset. That has happened to me a couple of time after I aligned my car.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:26 AM
CervanteZ

Originally Posted by rednezz
The problem of the steering wheel being offset was probably because the steering wheels wasn't perfectly straight when they aligned your car. During an alignment you have to put the wheel perfectly straight and lock it in position so it will not move. Once its locked you can align the car. If your wheel is not locked in exactly straight you can align the car to within all the factory specs and the steering wheel will be offset. That has happened to me a couple of time after I aligned my car.
Glad you came in here. That's definitely something I did not know. I'm going to have to take it back where the alignment was done. I guess I'm not willing to take my rims/tires/springs off just to save a measley 95 bucks.
Something about getting pushed around and lied to by my buddy "Gil" did **** me off though.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:57 AM
rednezz

Something about getting pushed around and lied to by my buddy "Gil" did **** me off though.
I would be pissed too! Hammer that guy to teach him a lesson.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:35 PM
boma

Stick it too that sucker!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 08:40 AM
KY350

Glad you came in here. That's definitely something I did not know. I'm going to have to take it back where the alignment was done. I guess I'm not willing to take my rims/tires/springs off just to save a measley 95 bucks.
When my mechanic alinged my stock wheels after I had the tires replaced, he noticed that the steering wheel was about 1 degree off straight - I didn't notice it even after having it pointed out to me. Anyway, all he did to straighten the steering wheel was hoist the car up and turn a steering rod (not exactly sure if this is the correct name) with a spanner to get the steering wheel straight.
If this process cannot straighten your steering wheel, then as rednezz said, you may have to realign with the steering wheel set to the straight ahead position.