Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Can't Decide on Offsets for SF Winnings!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 11:15 AM
noodleman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Decide on Offsets for SF Winnings!

I'm getting a real headache in deciding the offsets I want for the SF-Winnings.

So far, the only thing i'm sure is that I want 19x8.5 fronts and 19x9.5 rears, and one of the follow pairs of offsets:

+25front, +29rears

OR

+23fronts, +17rears

Here's things that i want to figure out to decide on the offests:

1) does +23 clear the non-brembo brakes? This one uses the B-Offset, so i know it's not suppose to clear the brembos, but I want to know if our brakes is too big or something.

2) would I need to roll the fenders on +17 in the rear? Especially if I lower the car by about .6-.8" (thinking about RS*R Down Springs)? I've read that somewhere that +17 is a sort of "grey area", where you may or may not need to roll, and you'll only find out when the wheel is on.

So here's my question to the wheel guru's, should i stick with the more conservative offset of +25/+29, or dip into the unknown with the +23/+17? That huge lip on the +17 is tempting, but right now i'm leaning toward + 25/+29 for less worries. Is there anything else I should put into consideration when deciding on the offsets?!

Thanks guys!
Old 10-29-2005, 11:45 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8.5" +23/9.5" +17 is perfect. You won't have any rubbing issues front or back even when lowered. It's agressive, but not extreme at all. Clearing the brake calipers is not a funtion of offset, but mounting pad height.

Your wheels will sit like mine.

Respect
JET
Old 10-29-2005, 12:40 PM
noodleman

I mean the SF-Winnings have 2 different types of faces, A and B, and A are the ones that clear big brakes, where was the B offest gives a bigger lip (and less clearance to the brakes).

http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/cgi-bin/...?modelName=SFW

For example, +25 gives a 49mm lip, where +23 gives a 61mm lip, so in a way, the offset I choose changes the mounting pad height.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Zquicksilver

noodleman,

sorry i can't answer all your questions, but i would recommend not going with the 8.5/9.5 when you could go 9.5/10.5 and have a car that looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better IMO.

check this car out, huge stoptech kit with the following... rolled fenders, which is really nothing big, and dropped on eibach's. 9.5 @ +19 and 10.5 @+17 he is running 245s and 275s, which are a little stretched, but it works.

or you could go with 8.5 @ 25 and 10.5 @ 29 like i did... i dropped mine 5/8" and had it aligned. it now sits dead flush with the fenders in rear, which are trimmed, but were not before the drop. i am so glad i did not go with the 9.5s, which look skinny in comparison with my 295s in rear. i now have the option to even go 305s ( a little over 12" wide). talk about getting the Vette, 911 guys to notice, bbwhwhahhahhah!

or you could do with this setup... 9.5 @ +19 and 10.5 @ +29 for a more subtle lip difference plus alleviating rear fender complications.

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 10-31-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:37 AM
aznmojo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the white car is beautiful
Old 11-01-2005, 04:43 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
8.5" +23/9.5" +17 is perfect. You won't have any rubbing issues front or back even when lowered. It's agressive, but not extreme at all. Clearing the brake calipers is not a funtion of offset, but mounting pad height.

Your wheels will sit like mine.

Respect
JET
Absoutely NOT true - you cannot guarantee he will not rub, as it depends how low his car is (yours is not all that low), and what tire he runs.

I've posted this many times but my car, on 18x9.5 rear +20 Emotions at around a 2 inch drop DID NOT rub with 275/40/18 T1S, but rubbed BADLY with the same size Potenza S03 at the same height. I now had to roll my rear fenders

If you are going with the RSR, you likely will not rub with MOST tires of the 275/40/18 variety - but some very well might under full suspension compression

2. You need to figure out what brakes you are going to get before you decide on wheels

3. Might want to consider what is available now vs what you might have to wait for. Special order Volks can be anywhere from 30-120 days wait. There also are negatives to the super low offsets many are now running (including myself) - that being vastly increased load on the bushings, endlinks, etc. Not a big deal for many here, who essentially drive garage queens that only come out once in a while. But for others, it is a consideration rarely taken into account

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 11-01-2005 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 AM
noodleman

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
noodleman,

sorry i can't answer all your questions, but i would recommend not going with the 8.5/9.5 when you could go 9.5/10.5 and have a car that looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better IMO.
Thanks for the tip, but i'm gonna stick with 8.5/9.5, simply cause my car is a daily driver, and i don't think i can afford the upkeep of 285+ wide tires (not going to stretch out 275's on a 10.5 rim). Those are beautiful cars though, and if I didn't want to drive this car everything, I think i'd go with the 9.5/10.5 setup too!!

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
If you are going with the RSR, you likely will not rub with MOST tires of the 275/40/18 variety - but some very well might under full suspension compression

2. You need to figure out what brakes you are going to get before you decide on wheels

3. Might want to consider what is available now vs what you might have to wait for. Special order Volks can be anywhere from 30-120 days wait. There also are negatives to the super low offsets many are now running (including myself) - that being vastly increased load on the bushings, endlinks, etc. Not a big deal for many here, who essentially drive garage queens that only come out once in a while. But for others, it is a consideration rarely taken into account
Awesome, this is exactly the type of things i'm looking for. I never even considered load on the bushings, endlinks, etc. Thanks! Since this is my daily driver, i think i should be abit worried about super low offsets.

I'm going to run Toyo T1R's (245/35/19f, 275/35/19r)as the first set of tires I mount on these, and maybe switching to some other tires as they wear out. As for the springs, I still haven't completely decided on whether or not to install them, as I'm getting the vertex kit soon, and i'm worried about bumper clearance (don't want to scrap up the bumper!). So springs will be an easy decision once I get both the rims and kit on. But knowing it won't rub is one less thing for me to worry about.

I'm pretty sure i'm staying with the stock brakes, as I have no intention of tracking the car. I'm more of a show than a go kinda guy. I just don't feel right having massive stopping power with bbk's on a stock engine.

I'm not overly worried about the availablility of the rims, I have no problems waiting for them. I'm planning to order them sometime soon, so hopefully it'll be here by next season.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:26 AM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Absoutely NOT true - you cannot guarantee he will not rub, as it depends how low his car is (yours is not all that low), and what tire he runs.
ABSOLUTLEY IS TRUE !!!

I had my car lowered 2" in the rear @ one point and had absolutley no issues @ that ride height with a 275 tire and there was definetly room to go even larger, possibly a 295 with no issues. I go out and tool with my car to find out what DOES work.

He will likely have to roll the fenders, but from reading the post I expect that will be acceptable to him.

I'm so sick of people jumping at others about answering questions about offset !!!! CHILL !!!!

We are not all noobs here becasue we don't own a store.

Respect
JET
Old 11-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read the opposite into it that he would not want to roll - which is why my post specifically says it will not work without rolling the rears

It has nothing to do with owning a store, or not...it has to do with there being ALOT of variables involved, that are seldom addressed. It is not enough to just say "275's fit" or "285's fit" - there are alot of considerations, not the least of which is toe and camber specs, the exact tire one is running, the exact rideheight from level ground to rear quarter panel center line. Without those details, when you get into the more aggressive sizes, it is a guessing game at best
Old 11-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Selski12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Z rubs on the rear with my 19 x 10.5 +17 offset (275-35-19). It only does so on the highway when there is a sudden change in the level of the road.

Some negative camber and definitely fender rolling will be needed to lower anything past 1" IMO. But, +17 gives a nice lip!

Pics:
https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/151166-volk-sf-winning-19-x-9-5-10-5-pics-56k-warning.html
Old 11-02-2005, 07:25 AM
noodleman

daaaaaaaang, that's sweet!

I would avoid rolling fenders if that's possible. As much as i like the flush look, I think i'm gonna stick with the safe +25f/+29r, simply cause it sounds like there's abit too much stuff that i need to take care off in a +23/+17 offset.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:04 AM
2 low Z

I have the +19 9.5F/+29 10.5R setup with tanabe NF210. The fronts rub slightly when going up a steep incline. No rubbing from the rears (fenders are not rolled). In some ways I wish I went with +17 in the rear, but I would have played hell with rubbing issues because of my drop. (tucking about .25" of tire front and back). I'm not sure, but I don't think that rolling the fenders alone would prevent rubbing. I do have 5mm spacers on the way (backordered), so I'm going to try those.

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/133230-sf-winnings-and-a-lot-more-finally.html

BhashaZ, GQ 350z where art thou?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:00 AM
JETPILOT

Forget Winning's. These are hotness. I never liked Winning's

Work VS-XX

Respect
JET
Old 11-02-2005, 09:52 AM
noodleman

haha, i looked into the VS-XX's too. While they're hot, they don't really match with the Vertex Full Kit imo. A little too classy for that kit i think.

thanks for all the info guys, this thread's been super helpful!

Last edited by noodleman; 11-02-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:31 PM
blazinasian

I don't mean to thread-jack, but I was wondering if the factory TPS/TPMS system will work with these rims? I love these rims as much as noodleman, but want to keep intact the function of the TPMS.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:59 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2 low Z
I have the +19 9.5F/+29 10.5R setup with tanabe NF210. The fronts rub slightly when going up a steep incline. No rubbing from the rears (fenders are not rolled). In some ways I wish I went with +17 in the rear, but I would have played hell with rubbing issues because of my drop. (tucking about .25" of tire front and back). I'm not sure, but I don't think that rolling the fenders alone would prevent rubbing. I do have 5mm spacers on the way (backordered), so I'm going to try those.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133230

BhashaZ, GQ 350z where art thou?
I've been called out!

I am lowered on Hotchkis and have the same sizes/offsets as 2 low Z posted above. However, I'm running Toyo T1-R's in 245/35/19 and 275/35/19. No rubbing issues at all, front or rear. I also wish I would have gone with the +17 rears, however, I don't know if it would necessarily be worth it (excessive camber, rolling/shaving the fenders, etc.). It does look really nice, but I have never seen them in person. I am also debating 5mm spacers, but I haven't had time to look into them yet.

Here's my threads. Hopefully the info will help you out!

(Prior to springs--they were backordered .)
https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/139029-volk-racing-sf-winning.html

(After springs)
https://my350z.com/forum/media-share/141393-photoshoot-ings-1-sf-winning-hotchkis.html
Old 11-03-2005, 11:07 AM
noodleman

Originally Posted by blazinasian
I don't mean to thread-jack, but I was wondering if the factory TPS/TPMS system will work with these rims? I love these rims as much as noodleman, but want to keep intact the function of the TPMS.

Thanks for the help.
I've looked everywhere for this answer as well, but it seems like you need to band the TPS to the rim before you mount the tires. My love for the SF-Winnings is greater than the convenice factor of the TPS. I'll try to live without it at first (since my seller is going to mount the tires for me).

From what I understand, all 2 piece rims use and L-shaped valve, as oppose to the straight one that our TPS are designed to replace, so I'm assuming the SF-Winning will need the banding solution.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:05 PM
blazinasian

noodleman- what is 'banding'? Do you mean duck taping (affixing) the tps sensor to the valve mount? I was hoping someone had found a resolution to this problem.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-04-2005, 12:57 PM
noodleman

i mean they use metal bands and wrap the band around the inside or the rim, and the tps is affixed to that band with some type of bracket.