Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

TSW Thruxtons

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005 | 07:49 PM
yupuhhuh2

Default TSW Thruxtons

I just saw a set of these wheels in person and I have to say they dont look that bad. I was wondering about the quality of TSW wheels though. Are they any good? Does anyone have any pics of these wheels on their Z? Thanks in advance. I was looking at Racing Hart pro R5's but these look the exact same.
Old 11-30-2005 | 09:39 PM
wayneside

they are nice...sold a set to a friend with a G35...a set of 20's...with a lot of lip!!! see if i can find some pics...
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:26 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired
Premier Member

They are a typical cast wheel. Nothing special.

Cast is softer than forged because forged wheels have undergone "plastic deformation" or "work hardening" . (Blacksmiths used to do the same thing by hammering out metal products) This basically means once the metal has been stretched out to a certain extent, it will become stronger.

If you want an example of this, get a piece of copper pipe. You can easily bend it with your hands. Now try to un-bend the bent part. It will be much harder. If you try to bend it a third time, it's almost impossible. The analogy is: the brand new copper pipe is equivalent to a cast wheel, and after you bend it the metal has undergone work hardening, then it becomes stronger. This is similar to the concept of forging.
Old 12-01-2005 | 04:59 PM
bilinghm

I have read the accounts on this forum of wheel cracking on this wheel design. Cracking should not happen under any normal, non accident related circumstances. For these wheels to crack they are: 1) being used outside the design specifications of a street wheel (excessive weight, massive shock, extreme side loading), 2) they are marginally designed, 3) or there is faulty manufacturing.

Aluminum cast wheels have been in common use for more than 50 years. This is not exotic technology. Properly designed aluminum wheels, cast, forged, or spun should last for decades of hard use and NEVER fail. How often have you seen a cracked OEM wheel on any brand of car? If these wheels are failing in normal street use, no "Dukes of Hazzard" jumps, then they are not a good product. If they were an OEM product, they would be recalled. Pass on these wheels and save yourself a headache or maybe even a disaster.
Old 12-01-2005 | 05:18 PM
bilinghm

My comments apply to any and all wheels that are experiencing failure from cracking. Thruxtons may not be the main offender on this score. I have read of Axis wheel failures, aftermarket chromed OEM nissan wheels, and even fancy/expensive HRE wheels. Wheels are as simple as hammers and should never fail you. If they do, contact the DOT and a maybe even a lawyer.