Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

U Have New Wheels and Stock Sensors Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 04:49 PM
Brad4rdHay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U Have New Wheels and Stock Sensors Please Read

I didn't get the stock tire sensors intalled on my new wheels...because the idiots at the tire place said they couldn't be mounted. I told them I was pretty sure you could, they tried, and broke one of the $250 sensors. They claim it wont work with the lower profile tires....but told me to go tto the dealer to have them installled.

Whats the deal?
Old 01-29-2003, 05:24 PM
2003z

It depends where the valve stem hole is. You know what the sensor looks like.obviously, since they broke yours. When mounted it seems like it fits fairly flush up against the rim. I don't know how to describe it, but I'm talking about the part thats the 8" in 18x8. THe sensor is angled so the valve stem sticks out when it is sitting flush. With the iforged, and the large lips, perhaps the valve hole is too far from the middle part? Anyway, I don't think its the low profile tires, just an inexperienced tech. My tire store has one guy qualified to do them, and he even had to go train the lexus dealership next door, becuase they kept breakiing them.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:52 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: U Have New Wheels and Stock Sensors Please Read

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
I didn't get the stock tire sensors intalled on my new wheels...because the idiots at the tire place said they couldn't be mounted. I told them I was pretty sure you could, they tried, and broke one of the $250 sensors. They claim it wont work with the lower profile tires....but told me to go tto the dealer to have them installled.

Whats the deal?
This is ludicrous. You should DEMAND a replacement. When I had to switch out my rim, I stood in the bay and watched the guy move the valve stem from the old rim to the new one. Granted I was replacing a stock wheel, but come on! How hard is it to test-fit the stem, see what the angle of the sensor is relative to the wheel drum and then make a decision?

There's a reason that dumbass is working at a tire store. No common sense.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Driven

The low profile tire is not the issue. I too would have them replace the one they broke...purely inexperienced. I believe from looking at pictures of your wheels you have what is commonly called a "reversed lip" wheel. Some call it an inverted lip and others call it a flat lip....whatever. All it means is there isn't that traditional "step" in the lip which creates the angle your stock wheel had. I should be careful to clarify that not all stepped lip wheels will work with our tire sensors either...you do need to check with the manufacturer. I believe HRE even has to machine the valve stem opening in their stepped lip wheels in order to allow for proper fit. Anyway, I'm quite sure you need to either epoxy the box (minus valve stem) to the inside of your wheel or find a way to "band" it to the outside of the barrel. I guess this is common practice with Corvette owners that have gone to aftermarket wheels like yours. When you find a place you can buy these bands let me know...I'm looking also.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Guru

It depends on the wheel. Some wheels it just can not be mounted due to the angle of the valve stem hole. Volk GTC is an example of a wheel where you can not mount the sensors.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:00 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If anybody has picts

would love to see what that looks like (the sensors) without having to take my tires off. If somebody can get pictures and post them, I would really appreciate it.

Maybe a pic of the broken one??
Old 02-03-2003, 03:20 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

Default bands for tps

Driven, If you are looking for banding system for the tps check with HRE. I bought some customs from them and the included the bands to hook up the tps. Unfortunately I don't have my Z yet so I don't know if it works or how to use it. Paul from Avalon Racing will be posting instructions on how to band the tps to the rims so look for it. It is under "Hre update". If you contact HRE they will probably be able to hook you up with the bands. They look like the clamp off a water hose.

zh.guitar
Old 02-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Driven

Thanks,
The last I spoke with Paul, he had copies of the banding application and even faxed copies to me, but didn't have info on their availability. I will contact him again or look where you suggest. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:58 AM
HREWheelMaker

The HRE Tire Pressure Sensor bands & instructions are now ready + available- contact Paul @ Avalon Racing.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:25 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Exclamation

It is VERY possible as I have proof rolling around as you read this on my 19's! And DO NOT let those fockups get away with that sh**! Make them buy you a new one, or keep going to the top til you get some satisfaction.

TX
Old 02-05-2003, 01:46 AM
z461

Sometimes it has to do w/ the way they mount the tire too.. Because they mount it from the bottom up (I believe) sometimes the machine can catch the sensor when the tire mounting machine reaches the top...However, if they are careful everything should work perfectly (assuming the angle is similar...sensor won't work on reversed lip w/out some modding).
Old 02-07-2003, 10:59 PM
ZISBAK

here is a diagram of the sensor
Attached Thumbnails U Have New Wheels and Stock Sensors Please Read-tire-pressure-sensor.jpg  
Old 02-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default Here are the HRE instuctions

Here is the instructions fo rthe HRE wheels.

We supply the banding material for our HRE customers.

This is done to support our customers. We are not sure if we can procure this material for non HRE buyers as we get the product from HRE. We will check, but suggest non HRE buyers to work with the company they bought their twheels from.

Our cost per set for the HRe buyers is $80.00 per kit.

Instructions for installation of OE tire pressure sensors

HRE 440R/540R/640R/840R series wheels

HRE HAS PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING PARTS:

4x Stainless banding strap
4x Band clamp
Double-backed adhesive

TOOLS REQUIRED:
1x slotted screwdriver
1x scissors or cutting tool
4x Original equipment Tire Pressure Sensors (TPS)

INSTRUCTIONS:

The provided bands will be used to attach the TPS to the circumference of the wheel. HRE wheels arrive with appropriate valve stems installed: the valve stem portion of the TPS unit will be used to secure the sensor to the rim.

1) Cut the double-backed adhesive strips into squares approximately 1/2” long
The squares will be used to position the TPS valve stem on the inner rim barrel during installation and will locate the band on the TPS valve stem.
2) Apply one square to the base of the TPS valve stem, facing ‘down.’ (see Fig. 1)
With the wheel standing upright on a table (use a cloth or pad to insulate the wheel from the surface to prevent damage), remove the adhesive backing from the adhesive strip and install the TPS in the drop-center of the wheel with the TPS valve stem aligned with and pointing at the wheel valve stem.
(See Figure 2)
3) Install another double-backed adhesive strip on the top side of the TPS valve stem and install the band clamp over the stem and around the circumference of the wheel. Position the clamp assembly 180 degrees from the TPS position (to aid in wheel balancing), and tighten the clamp until the band is taut and the sensor does not move.
DO NOT over-tighten the band, as the TPS may be harmed.
4) Mount the tire conventionally, taking care not to damage the tire on the clamp or TPS. The ‘reverse drop-center’ wheels must be installed on the mounting machine “face down” to facilitate tire mounting.
Take precautions to avoid damaging the outer rim surface or silicone seal during this procedure.

If you have questions, contact an HRE representative immediately.
- long
Old 10-24-2003, 11:06 AM
jckolnturn

Is there a way to get the sensors on Volk GT-7's, the stem comes out of the center of the inner part of the rim and has an angled valve stem that goes out to where it is accesible to put air in the tire.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:24 AM
Todd@ProDyno

in defense of the tire store...they said no, you said try. That relieves them of fault. Sure, if I were you Id still ask for a new one. When I know something wont work and the customer thinks otherwise...I give them warning in advance.