Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Rear wheel bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Gman2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bolt

I was driving home from work tonight and the car started making a wierd noise and then all of the sudden the rear end got loose. I pulled over to the side of the road and drove slowly while I looked at my rear wheel and I noticed it was wobbling back and forth. I stoped the car and further investigated and I found that one of the wheel bolts broke off and the other 4lug nuts were loose.

What do you have to do to replace a wheel bolt? And how much does it cost?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2.37 plus ship for the hub bolt...
http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...roducts_id=368

$120 for labor if you pay a shop...
Old 03-29-2006, 06:46 AM
MustGoFastR

$120 labor?! Damn, do it yourself! I swapped out all my studs with longer ones for spacers myself and it was a breeze. For a broken stud, all you need is a hammer, some penetrating lube, a good sized punch and an old lug nut you can cut the end off of with a dremel to make it open ended. Just jack up that corner, remove the wheel, brake caliper and rotor (leave E-brake off), spray penetrating lube on the broken stud and pound it out of the hub with the hammer and punch. Then just slip the new stud in from the rear (plenty of room; hub does not need to be removed) and pull it into the hub by tightening down the cut lug nut onto it with a box end or crescent wrench. Viola, you're done; put the rotor and caliper back on and remount the wheel. 20 min job.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

labor pricing all depends on where you go...

but keep in mind, you have to remove the caliper, rotor, then tap out the old one, pull the new one through, etc etc....
Old 03-29-2006, 09:27 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
$120 labor?! Damn, do it yourself! I swapped out all my studs with longer ones for spacers myself and it was a breeze. For a broken stud, all you need is a hammer, some penetrating lube, a good sized punch and an old lug nut you can cut the end off of with a dremel to make it open ended. Just jack up that corner, remove the wheel, brake caliper and rotor (leave E-brake off), spray penetrating lube on the broken stud and pound it out of the hub with the hammer and punch. Then just slip the new stud in from the rear (plenty of room; hub does not need to be removed) and pull it into the hub by tightening down the cut lug nut onto it with a box end or crescent wrench. Viola, you're done; put the rotor and caliper back on and remount the wheel. 20 min job.

Can you get enough pressure to seat it using just a lug nut without threading the bolt? I thought there was a special clamp made for this?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

find a spare open ended lug nut and a stack of washers... and your fine...
Old 03-29-2006, 10:29 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by sq40
Can you get enough pressure to seat it using just a lug nut without threading the bolt? I thought there was a special clamp made for this?
Yup, no prob; just spin an open ended nut down to meet the hub, then crank it down tight. No washers needed.