Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

In this thread I will tell you why I'm gonna buy Rota p45s instead of Nismo wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Metal Heart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LATEZ
like what you buy ..buy what you like
as long as your not ofended if I wear this shirt
Not at all man, I actually think it's funny haha ... That's a Honda-world thing really. Mainly because back in the day, all rota made were Mugen wheel knockoffs.
Now Rota is a little more "established"

Last edited by Metal Heart; 05-02-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Oleg

It's funny that Rota wheels get so much more heat as opposed to the budget replicals of body kits (aerosync, shine project etc)
Old 05-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg
It's funny that Rota wheels get so much more heat as opposed to the budget replicals of body kits (aerosync, shine project etc)

Ehhhhh maybe that's because body kits are JUST for looks (maybe weight savings in 5% of cases). Wheels are not (or SHOULD not be IMO).

Put a heavier cast wheel on your car, you will feel a difference between a lightweight 1pc forged wheel.

Etc etc etc
Old 05-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Juno

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Ehhhhh maybe that's because body kits are JUST for looks (maybe weight savings in 5% of cases). Wheels are not (or SHOULD not be IMO).

Put a heavier cast wheel on your car, you will feel a difference between a lightweight 1pc forged wheel.

Etc etc etc
Aren't the Rotas lighter than the stock Z wheels?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:17 PM
03performz

Originally Posted by 03performz
Where are you purchasing the Rota's and how much?
^^^What he said ...I can't find them anywhere except Rota's website which doesn't seem to be selling them.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Oleg

Etc etc etc

Sorry to break it to you, but a good amount of people on these boards are buying wheels (and sometimes even the BBKs) for looks as well.
But this discussion is useless without actual weight #'s. I am going to research more on this and then be able to make a more educated decision.

One thing that I can tell you is this, the Rotas are big in Honda community, but we are the mighty 350Z crowd, dammit! Anything but top labels for us.
This has been said before and I will say it again. We are driving 30K cars, not exactly the top price tier. So it is a bit foolish to have the Ferrari syndrome here...
Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Oleg
Sorry to break it to you, but a good amount of people on these boards are buying wheels (and sometimes even the BBKs) for looks as well.
But this discussion is useless without actual weight #'s. I am going to research more on this and then be able to make a more educated decision.

One thing that I can tell you is this, the Rotas are big in Honda community, but we are the mighty 350Z crowd, dammit! Anything but top labels for us.
This has been said before and I will say it again. We are driving 30K cars, not exactly the top price tier. So it is a bit foolish to have the Ferrari syndrome here...
Seems that you suffer from selective omission when reading.

The comparison that I made was that body kits are *JUST* for looks.

Wheels are NOT *just* for looks, they are for performance AND for looks.

One thing I can tell you is this: Volk, Rays, Work, Racing Hart, RH Pro, are big in the 350Z community. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Rotas or everyone who has Volks has a Ferarri syndrome.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Juno
Aren't the Rotas lighter than the stock Z wheels?

Wow, today must be "Put Words in Wired 24/7's Mouth Day."

I never said nor implied that Rotas were lighter, heavier, better, or worse than stock.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Juno

I never said nor implied that Rotas were lighter, heavier, better, or worse than stock.

I never said you did...

But I think I read somewhere that they are lighter than the stock wheels. My point was, if they are lighter than stock, it's still a bit of a performance gain, just not as much as a forged wheel would be.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Juno
I never said you did...

But I think I read somewhere that they are lighter than the stock wheels. My point was, if they are lighter than stock, it's still a bit of a performance gain, just not as much as a forged wheel would be.
Good point, sorry I snapped back at you but I don't like being misrepresented.

Glad to hear that you weren't.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Oleg

Seems that you suffer from selective omission when reading.

The comparison that I made was that body kits are *JUST* for looks.

Not necessarily, as some may be beneficial to airflow to radiator/FMIC. One should just look at what else is done to the car and what is it used for.

Wheels are NOT *just* for looks, they are for performance AND for looks.

I know, but NOT EVERYONE buys the wheels with performance in mind.

One thing I can tell you is this: Volk, Rays, Work, Racing Hart, RH Pro, are big in the 350Z community. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Rotas or everyone who has Volks has a Ferarri syndrome.
I agree on that. But there is a lot of bandwagon mentality on there boards. I am going FI in near future and strongly considering switching to this setup

http://subydude.com/osc/product_info...af6bf906f2fcbc

from my Racingharts. These are much more low maintainance and are easily replaceable, in case I damage any (I'd rather buy a 225$ replacement wheel as opposed to a 600$). Not to mention that you get a TON of rubber under your fender with these for a VERY reasonable price. The saved money would work better if applied elsewhere.
And as I said before, if we are talking like a couple of pounds per wheel, then it's pointless, unless you live your life a quater mile at a time. But if the Nismos are like 5lbs or more lighter, then its a whole other story.

Last edited by Oleg; 05-02-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Oleg

I never said you did either...
Lay off the caffeine friend, you're way too wired

Next thing you'll screaming for TP for your bunghole...
Old 05-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

That's a nice setup and a killer price

Lay off the caffeine friend, you're way too wired

Next thing you'll screaming for TP for your bunghole...

you just made me bust out laughing
Old 05-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Oleg

you just made me bust out laughing
I'm glad.
Which kind of t3h lab are you at anyway? Wondering if I ran into someone from same field...
Old 05-02-2006, 07:14 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I recall a vendor thread stating they were 23-24lbs F/R—so lighter than stock cast 18's which run 28lbs. Find some lighter tires and you are good to go.

Another point to consider is Hondas run smaller wheels so the weight savings/$ ratio between cast and forged is not as attractive. You might save 2-3 lbs on a 17x8 wheel vs 4-8+ on the 18x9.5 or larger rollers we can stuff into the Z's wheel wells.

Oh yeah, post pics when you get them mounted!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Oleg

The only thing I'd change would be getting them in solid black w/out the red stripe.
The only thing that I want with a red stripe is a plate of jerk chicken.
Mmmmmm...............
Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
plumpzz

i wish they came in all black. They weigh 21.7 lbs F 22.1lb R. They're lightweight.. not as light as nismo but pretty close. I havn't heard of a case of the p45r's cracking or bending as of yet. they're awsome quality. I hope they come in other styles that are as cheap. 2k for fatty tires+wheels is awsome!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
I think I recall a vendor thread stating they were 23-24lbs F/R—so lighter than stock cast 18's which run 28lbs. Find some lighter tires and you are good to go.

Another point to consider is Hondas run smaller wheels so the weight savings/$ ratio between cast and forged is not as attractive. You might save 2-3 lbs on a 17x8 wheel vs 4-8+ on the 18x9.5 or larger rollers we can stuff into the Z's wheel wells.

Oh yeah, post pics when you get them mounted!

I am not yet fully sure if I will make the switch...
It depends on me finding a buyer for my Racingharts (right in the marketplace section/ shameless plug)
Old 05-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Juno

Good point, sorry I snapped back at you but I don't like being misrepresented.

Glad to hear that you weren't.
No problem. I've had a really bad day and I think some of my thoughts are getting lost between my brain and my fingers...

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with buying Rotas or any other "cheap" wheel, as long as they weigh less than whatever is on your car to start with. And if you upgrade to forged wheels later on, you get to experience the fun of lighter wheels twice.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:32 PM
NzZ

The Rotas look great. If you want black w/red stripe, get them. I wouldn't think less of someone for rollin on rotas...but you have to give some credit to Nismo for creating the original wheels. Both Rota and Kazera have blatantly ripped them off...and neither have the finish/quality of the Nismo product. I doubt any of them will give you problems in the long run though. I have seen brand new LMGT4s many many many times on ebay for $1500/set. Personally I think that's a bargain...worth every penny over the rotas @ that price IMHO.
NzZ

Quick Reply: In this thread I will tell you why I'm gonna buy Rota p45s instead of Nismo wheels...