Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:12 PM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All popular wheels have their day, bbs were the thing one time
Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 PM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know i was thinking the same thing before. I wanted a set of volk GT-V's (i think thats what they're called). Pricing isn't that bad for a set of wheels..around 2300 (i want 18s ) However what turned me away is how blingy they are...lightweight wheels they are, but way too blingy for my tastes. I opted for work emotion wheels which stay more true to their purpose. Much like those TE's or the nismo wheels.. superlightweight 18'' wheels at a decent cost.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by Fr3ak
you said you wanna keep it hardcore? whats up with the bodykit & ventshades then?
Err, I don't know where to start with this comment

Thanks for the laugh
Old 08-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Red Square

Originally Posted by Fr3ak
you said you wanna keep it hardcore? whats up with the bodykit & ventshades then?
yes, i had dish rims before and the car had that semi-vip look i guess. i just test fitted those te's last week. and as for aero, im still in the process of getting some new custom work done, so dont worry.

and no the fronts dont rub. fender is rolled, fender lining is modified, and harness is relocated. and plus, when wheel is compressed upward, there is an increase of negitive camber.

but ya, even though volk are main stream, i dont see that many different kinds cars that run them, beside Z's and s2000. maybe because Z and s2000 owner are rich.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:27 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by sen_jen
haha, word. actually, while at TAS '06, big lips were played out, and 1pc. full faced wheels were in again.
+1

As much as I like my rims, if I had a chance to switch them up, I'd go with Volk Progressive ME's.

Full face, no lip. I saw them on a Z recently and they were hot!

http://www.mackinindustries.com/md/r...gressivme.html
Old 08-07-2006, 02:29 PM
sen_jen

i believe i know your offsets!! the labia size is pretty nice, but could be better. however, it's the design of the wheels that doesn't allow for huge ginas!!

again, very good choice. i can't wait to see them on. i'm guessing you're gonna stretch them tires? if so, Right On. thats the only way with wheels like such. fatties/swampers need not apply.

Originally Posted by UrbanTacticZ
I don't discount the quality of Volks, I'm simply talking from a styling standpoint. I actually love the new line of Volks that were released, the black on red pictured above.

Volks make great track wheels, and Rays Engineering makes many OEM wheels that are seen on Japanese cars. But, it is getting a little old seeing it on literally every other car that drives down the street.

Maybe that's just because of where I live though...California. Plus I am a wheel *****

I just want to see some more variety out there because right now it seems like many cars on this board are clones of eachother. If someone can afford Volks, they sure can afford Works. I'm just trying to understand why people havn't made the move yet. I actually think that Work wheels are built stronger than Volks, but that is just me.

As far as my offsets being a "secret" they basically arent. All you have to do is know the size of my wheel, measure my lip to get the backspace, do a little math, and you can figure out what offsets I am running. I just don't don't want people biting my stance Afterall, it's not the wheel brand, it's not the lip size, it's all about the stance of the car of when it is parked and when it is rolling. Can you tell that I am VIP style washed yet?

My plan is to bring VIP or "Bippu" styling to the sport coupe scene. There has been a handful of Z's and G's who have gone this route and even fewer that actually look nice.

As for the price one person or a few have brought up not being able to be justified, I somewhat agree. However, I am a special case because I run a shop and I am able to bring these wheels in direct from Japan myself with no middle man. I literally picked up my wheels for a steal, no joke
Old 08-07-2006, 02:43 PM
starve

Just cause Volks are all over the internet, doesn't mean they're everywhere. I've owned my car and Volks for over 2 years, and I've never seen another Z sporting Volks outside of a Z meet.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:53 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by starve
Just cause Volks are all over the internet, doesn't mean they're everywhere. I've owned my car and Volks for over 2 years, and I've never seen another Z sporting Volks outside of a Z meet.
Once again, I think that has to do with where you live.

I think I have realized that this is mainly an issue for California.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Touring240

I guess it is just this website that Volks are played like a ****... Every where you look there are GTCs ha

It's all about the stance and fitment. You should check out www.vipstylecars.com

Great choice on the Weds Kranze. I love mine. Secret offsets are LAME.
These are Cereberus II 19x9.5 +2 MID, 19x11.5 +1 SLo chrome

Last edited by Touring240; 08-07-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Volk350Z
Master

well maybe its cause ppl know that they get what they pay for.. if I was going to spend money I would reather get something I trust.. Weds are nice but way too heavy for me and I can't track it without worrying about it bending or cracking..
Old 08-07-2006, 06:32 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by Touring240
I guess it is just this website that Volks are played like a ****... Every where you look there are GTCs ha

It's all about the stance and fitment. You should check out www.vipstylecars.com

Great choice on the Weds Kranze. I love mine. Secret offsets are LAME.
These are Cereberus II 19x9.5 +2 MID, 19x11.5 +1 SLo chrome

Great fitment man!

Looks like a BMW? What kind of camber are you running to fit those in there? I'm jealous
Old 08-07-2006, 06:33 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by Volk350Z
well maybe its cause ppl know that they get what they pay for.. if I was going to spend money I would reather get something I trust.. Weds are nice but way too heavy for me and I can't track it without worrying about it bending or cracking..
Weds are too heavy?! You might need to check the wheel weights again bro haha. Besides if you are tracking, you can always buy the Wed Sports series, they have some hot wheels in that lineup for sure

Oh and for those that don't know where to get more info: http://www.weds.co.jp
Old 08-07-2006, 06:37 PM
JPsZ

Great fitment man!

Looks like a BMW? What kind of camber are you running to fit those in there? I'm jealous
looks like a lexus sc300/400
Old 08-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Great fitment man!

nice lip, but those tires look like they are holding for dear life! It looks like the lip of the rim is actually outside of the fender...
Old 08-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Volk350Z
Master

Weds are too heavy?! You might need to check the wheel weights again bro haha. Besides if you are tracking, you can always buy the Wed Sports series, they have some hot wheels in that lineup for sure

Oh and for those that don't know where to get more info: http://www.weds.co.jp
do you really know who made the Weds sport series & how its made?? if not you need to go check again...

The weight the Kranze Borphes is light?? didnt know cast wheels are light....

Last edited by Volk350Z; 08-07-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:00 PM
sen_jen

^ correct. the Kranze line aint your lightweight wheel. they're very much your VIP line though.

man, that SC or whatever it is looks HOTT. stretch tires PWN the world. f.uck fatty/swamper tires. no one likes sidewall flexing.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:01 PM
2slow4me1990

Originally Posted by JPsZ
looks like a lexus sc300/400
actually, it looks like an s13 240sx
Old 08-07-2006, 08:19 PM
dimebagdolf

Tough to beat a great wheel I suppose.
I've always loved Volks. For performance, quality, and looks... there's nothing else I ever had in mind for my Z.

UrbantacticZ,

I love your avatar!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by Volk350Z
do you really know who made the Weds sport series & how its made?? if not you need to go check again...

The weight the Kranze Borphes is light?? didnt know cast wheels are light....

Errr I know the Weds Kranze is not light, it's a VIP wheel not built for racing, I was refering to the Weds Sports series.

But I just looked at the numbers and yeeeeesh! I never knew how heavy Weds Sports were too ouchies! I always assumed they were as light or lighter than Volks.

Ok I take back my Weds comment even though they are widely used in JGTC

Quick Reply: Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?