Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:51 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tHisZ_bFAST
I agree that Work wheels are good quality and look good, however they are in no way the same strength as a Volk rim, and are overpriced because of their weaknesses.

Work wheels are casted and heavy. The rim sections are easily bent since they only use spun aluminum barrels, just like HRE, Iforged, Maya, Racing Hart, etc.

I'm not sure how much pressure is used to spin the barrel section, but it is no way close to the 10,000 tons of pressure that Rays uses on their forged rims. And to compare, BBS uses forging machines and they are about 7-8k tons of pressure to form their wheels.

Volk 2 piece wheels uses a forged barrel with a casted center disk. Why other companies use a cast outer and forged center, like HRE and Iforge, is beyond me. Especially when the outer rim is the next closest thing to impact the ground other than your tires. I'm not saying that Volks are bent proof, but would you rather take 100 impacts before bending or just 10.

You may choose to believe that Work Wheels are stronger....but the facts are that they are not.
Another great post. However, most of the people on these boards will NEVER see the strength that a forged wheel will hod up to.

We are talking simple styling needs.

While it is true that cast wheels tend to be heavier than their forged counterparts, you can't necessarly say that they will always be weaker. There is no way you can compare a Work wheel to a iForged piece of junk. Differant companies implement differant quality control methods and Work puts a great deal of quality behind their products. They are yet another wheel that is used quite often in racing series such as JGTC
Old 08-09-2006, 05:29 AM
eyustfu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tHisZ_bFAST
I agree that Work wheels are good quality and look good, however they are in no way the same strength as a Volk rim, and are overpriced because of their weaknesses.

Work wheels are casted and heavy. The rim sections are easily bent since they only use spun aluminum barrels, just like HRE, Iforged, Maya, Racing Hart, etc.

I'm not sure how much pressure is used to spin the barrel section, but it is no way close to the 10,000 tons of pressure that Rays uses on their forged rims. And to compare, BBS uses forging machines and they are about 7-8k tons of pressure to form their wheels.

Volk 2 piece wheels uses a forged barrel with a casted center disk. Why other companies use a cast outer and forged center, like HRE and Iforge, is beyond me. Especially when the outer rim is the next closest thing to impact the ground other than your tires. I'm not saying that Volks are bent proof, but would you rather take 100 impacts before bending or just 10.

You may choose to believe that Work Wheels are stronger....but the facts are that they are not.
From my experiences Work is much better quality than Volk. I bent a few Volk wheels in my day and none of the Work. A buddy also hit a huge put hole going 75+ and there was only a minor bend to his VS-SS.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Brick-Z

After owning a Z for close to six months now I have yet to see another Z with Volk wheels here in Chicago. Must be a Cali thing
Old 08-09-2006, 05:52 AM
Gators2001

DAMN a 19x10 for the front!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by UrbanTacticZ
Another great post. However, most of the people on these boards will NEVER see the strength that a forged wheel will hod up to.
Im not sure if this statement is true. A LOT of our customers are very track and performance oriented. I have many customers that have been through many wheels seeking strength, light weight, stylish wheels and their end choice ends up being a RAYS wheel. Especially with all the pot holes and severe road conditions in Socal and Norcal, I would personally prefer a more expensive forged wheel then a cheaper cast wheel which has a higher chance of bending or cracking which in turn will end up costing you just as much as a VOLK wheel if the damage is bad enough that it cannot be repaired. I know RAYS wheels does not fit everyones budget but it will be worth while to save up for. A lot of the alternative JDM wheels like WORKS, AME, etc are all great quality wheels but in the similar price range as VOLK wheels so if it was my choice, Id rather spend the money on a forged wheel that will also perform its function on the track.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Played out or not, you cant deny that VOLK wheels are hot on 350Z's.....

Even on BMW's.....
Old 08-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Volk350Z
Master

If you want to ask Rick & Dave at Status on how strong a Volk TE37 is.. I was on the 110 freeway from Downtown LA to his shop and hit a nail, drove it all the way to Status with only 5psi on pressure and Status fix the tires and rebalance the wheel and came out no bent or crack.. use the same weight it was on the wheel before...

I had a set of Work 03 15" with RA1 tires on my EG6 after one track event at Sebring Raceway in FLA.. Both my front wheel was bent and passenger side had a crack.. after that I will never use any Work wheel only gong to track with Forged Rays wheel..

not sure if you guys remember a few months back someone posted a Work EMotion CR Kai, he had a crack on the spoke..
Old 08-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Zexy

Originally Posted by Volk350Z

I had a set of Work 03 15" with RA1 tires on my EG6 after one track event at Sebring Raceway in FLA.. Both my front wheel was bent and passenger side had a crack.. after that I will never use any Work wheel only gong to track with Forged Rays wheel..
Work 03 isn't a forged wheel!!! Either way Work and Rays wheels quality are par and par.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Volk350Z
Master

Originally Posted by Zexy
Work 03 isn't a forged wheel!!! Either way Work and Rays wheels quality are par and par.

yeah but what work wheels are forged.. remember this is back in my RZ days lol..
Old 08-09-2006, 09:11 AM
tHisZ_bFAST

Last post in here........and for the record. Yes, most Japan wheel companies are very good quality (Work, Weds, Racing Hart, AME). However, most are not as strong and are more expensive which, to me, doesn't equal to the value of the money I will be spending.

While it is true that cast wheels tend to be heavier than their forged counterparts, you can't necessarly say that they will always be weaker. There is no way you can compare a Work wheel to a iForged piece of junk. They are yet another wheel that is used quite often in racing series such as JGTC
Cast wheels will always be inferior to a forged rim. It is true that you can make a strong cast wheel but more material is need to reinforced the outer rim and spokes, which in turn makes it heavier.

Work uses the same type of outer rim manufacturing as iForged. Casted, Spun aluminum. The finishing touches might be better, but the construction is still the same.

And I have yet to see Work wheels used abundantly in JGTC. Especially when approx. 50% of the teams use Rays, approx. 25% uses Enkei, and the rest are divided from American Racing, Work (2 teams), and BBS.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Brick-Z

Played out or not, those pictures say it all. Volk wheels are worth the extra $$$$$$$
Old 08-09-2006, 09:43 AM
M3to350z

Originally Posted by Brick-Z
Played out or not, those pictures say it all. Volk wheels are worth the extra $$$$$$$
Preach!
Attached Thumbnails Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?-copy-of-gts19-1.jpg  
Old 08-09-2006, 10:31 AM
fahrenheit350

+1 for forged. track proven and everyday use.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:17 AM
A Spec Products
Banned

damn people are quick to hate

redsquare's s14 is dope, flush fitment

to the original poster, weds kranze borphes are dope as hell

we used to be able to get those in, but hard to get now

volks will never get played out

i agree though, that there are a lot of volks floating around, especially in the 350z world, but they will never die

te37 for life
Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by A Spec Products
damn people are quick to hate

redsquare's s14 is dope, flush fitment

to the original poster, weds kranze borphes are dope as hell

we used to be able to get those in, but hard to get now

volks will never get played out

i agree though, that there are a lot of volks floating around, especially in the 350z world, but they will never die

te37 for life
Holler if you guys ever need a source over there for Weds, I'm hooked up with them quite closely

Last edited by UrbanTacticZ; 08-09-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:45 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
Played out or not, you cant deny that VOLK wheels are hot on 350Z's.....

Even on BMW's.....
^^ haha Will's car is hot!

You won't catch me saying that they don't look hot, but I still would like to see people buy some differant types of wheels I'm tired of selling Volks all day long, I swear I have the entire price list almost memorized haha

Last edited by UrbanTacticZ; 08-09-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:58 AM
A Spec Products
Banned

Holler if you guys ever need a source over there for Weds, I'm hooked up with them quite closely
Yeah right on

We still have our "source" but eh we just got fed up with their production times, and without an authorized importer, it was just too hit or miss for our comfort level. Playing russian roulette with customer's wheels, no thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 AM
ctwentytwo

Volk played out? If it is, who cares? Here in Hawaii, it's a pretty rare sight. I seen maybe like 5 cars on the streets that run Volk.

Granted, Volk is the first choice, but the best 2nd choice I think is Enkei. Anyway, ENKEI gets no respect. People mistake their JDM racing line to the crap the US division puts out all over magazine advertisements. 2nd to Rays wheels is Enkei when it comes down to the #1 racing series in Japan, SuperGT (formerly JGTC) and what percentage of teams use their wheels. Enkei also supplies wheels to the Mercedes/McLaren team in F1. This speaks volumes for their racing pedigree. Granted, most of their consumer wheels are cast, but it's still strong enough for racing purposes. Until a scientific test is done to test rigidity, my only criteria for choosing a wheel is if Japanese race teams/garages use them.

What alot of people don't know also is that Enkei makes ADVAN wheels using M.A.T. or Hollow Core technology. C-West almost exclusively uses ADVAN on their cars. Check out C-West. C-West's Super Taikyu car uses TCII's you can buy off the shelf (not mag versions). Same goes for Yashio Factory. HKS has also been using ADVAN wheels on their time attack and show cars. BTW, Enkei also manufactures AME wheels.

BTW, Work wheels are a great bargain. This post: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205216 in the classifieds by Z1 had the Work XD9s (18x9, 18x10) wheels for $1400 shipped. Similar sized TE37s go for way more. ADVAN wheels can also be a bargain. The Super Light hollow core TCII's are dirt cheap right now... which is why I wonder sometimes when people who can't afford Volk, choose other alternatives like Rota, Thruxton, Axis,... when great JDM wheels can be had for about the same $$$ only if they looked.

Last edited by ctwentytwo; 08-09-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:02 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by ctwentytwo
Volk played out? If it is, who cares? Here in Hawaii, it's a pretty rare sight. I seen maybe like 5 cars on the streets that run Volk.

Granted, Volk is the first choice, but the best 2nd choice I think is Enkei. Anyway, ENKEI gets no respect. 2nd to Rays wheels is Enkei when it comes down to the #1 racing series in Japan, SuperGT (formerly JGTC) and what percentage of teams use their wheels. Enkei also supplies wheels to the Mercedes/McLaren team in F1. This speaks volumes for their racing pedigree. Granted it's cast, but it's still strong enough for racing purposes. Until a scientific test is done to test rigidity, my only criteria for choosing a wheel is if Japanese race teams/garages use them.

What alot of people don't know also is that Enkei makes ADVAN wheels, using M.A.T. or Hollow Core technology. C-West almost exclusively uses ADVAN on their cars. Check out C-West, most of the cars are on ADVANS. C-West's Super Taikyu car uses TCII's you can buy off the shelf (not mag versions). Same goes for Yashio Factory. HKS has also been using ADVAN wheels on their time attack and show cars.

BTW, Work wheels are a great bargain. This post: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205216 in the classifieds by Z1 had the Work XD9s (18x9, 18x10) wheels for $1400 shipped. Similar sized TE37s go for way more. ADVAN wheels can also be a bargain. The Super Light hollow core TCII's are dirt cheap right now... which is why I wonder sometimes when people who can't afford Volk, choose other alternatives like Rota, Thruxton, Axis,... when great JDM wheels can be had for about the same $$$ only if they looked.
I like this guy
Old 08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by A Spec Products
Yeah right on

We still have our "source" but eh we just got fed up with their production times, and without an authorized importer, it was just too hit or miss for our comfort level. Playing russian roulette with customer's wheels, no thanks
I hear you on that! Been there, done that, it's always a mess. You know what I hate? When the source tells you one thing just to get you off their back, especially in regards to ETA. Man if I dropped 2-3k on a PO for a customer, I better get some service!

Quick Reply: Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?