Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:17 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dimebagdolf
UrbantacticZ,

I love your avatar!!!
I love her too
Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 PM
plumpzz

cast wheels can be light. its all about the process. Most of the superlightweights however are forged. Im talkin 16 or 15 lb 18''. Cast 18's can be had at around 19-20lbs, and be strong as forged. After that though, you're in forged territory.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Spec_Tacular

Originally Posted by UrbanTacticZ
I would much rather see people mix it up with some other high end wheels such as Works, AME, Weds, HRE, etc.
At my work we put a nice set of HRE wheels w/ black centers and a deep lip and very aggressive offset on an ultra yellow Z. But you know I don't think they had as good a look or finish as my Volk GT-Cs. I the quality was awesome although we did have some issues with HREs on another vehicle where the rivets had loosened and cause the tire to deflate
Old 08-08-2006, 02:31 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by Spec_Tacular
At my work we put a nice set of HRE wheels w/ black centers and a deep lip and very aggressive offset on an ultra yellow Z. But you know I don't think they had as good a look or finish as my Volk GT-Cs. I the quality was awesome although we did have some issues with HREs on another vehicle where the rivets had loosened and cause the tire to deflate
Ouch! I havn't heard any issues before with HRE's.

Wierd
Old 08-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Volk350Z
Master

Originally Posted by Spec_Tacular
My friend had an Issue with his HRE on his 996 TT, after it rain the wheel hold water in the spoke and when he's driving the car will shake alot.. also HRE is banned from most auto cross and road race event..
Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Volk350Z
My friend had an Issue with his HRE on his 996 TT, after it rain the wheel hold water in the spoke and when he's driving the car will shake alot.. also HRE is banned from most auto cross and road race event..

this happened to my roomate when he had DTMautohaus custom rims for his A6.. he would get weird vibrations.. he sold em for BBS wheels..
Old 08-08-2006, 02:51 PM
M3to350z

When a company like volk, makes a rim that fits your car so perfect that they most likely designed it to fit your vehicle for an affordable price that's light weight and gorgous, not to mension, strong.....

You don't don't ask questions.... You prey no one else will get the same setup as you!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:38 PM
plumpzz

volks aren't affordable lol. They can cost up to 3500 dollars. Im sure if they wre made in the US of A, they'd be a lot cheaper.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Volk350Z
Master

Originally Posted by plumpzz
volks aren't affordable lol. They can cost up to 3500 dollars. Im sure if they wre made in the US of A, they'd be a lot cheaper.
Then I don't think it will be call VOlk..
Old 08-08-2006, 06:13 PM
tHisZ_bFAST

Ok I take back my Weds comment even though they are widely used in JGTC
GT500 - 10 / 15 teams use Rays Wheels (0 teams use Wedsport, 1 BBS, 4Enkei)

GT300 - 9 / 26 teams use Rays Wheels (2 teams use Wedsport, the rest are Enkei, Werk, American Racing, BBS)

Here's another fact. All the teams that use Rays Wheels pay for them.

Hmm....I wonder why almost half of the field is willing to pay for wheels when they can just get freebies from other wheel companies????

Also forgot to add that most of the wheels on the market today is junk. I think most consumers these days "try" to educate themselves with products they buy by asking questions and going online. Obviously Volks do get mentioned a lot, so there must be a reason why set after set, car after car, people keep buying Volks.

#1 Qualilty
#2 Strength - Rigorous in-house testing standards. How many company's you know drop a 1 ton weight on their wheels then check the structural integrity of the wheel.
#3 Good looks
#4 Price - Most 19" Volk wheels retail around $800 MSRP. Weds Kranze wheels are expensive for a cast wheel, $1000-$1100 MSRP for 19".

Last edited by tHisZ_bFAST; 08-08-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:33 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

couldn't agree with you more Urban; +1 for Weds wheels always!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:47 PM
mario23

I see Volks alot here on the forums, but not in person.
To me, they are just hot and the quality is top notch.
I still love them...
Attached Thumbnails Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?-m23.jpg  
Old 08-08-2006, 06:55 PM
ZeeThirtyThree

Originally Posted by sen_jen
haha, word. actually, while at TAS '06, big lips were played out, and 1pc. full faced wheels were in again.
+1 to that!
That's exactly why I chose the Sparco NS6's that I just finished installing. Everybody has the deep-dish, my lip is bigger than yours thing going on. Not to mention those with rivets (real or not) are fugly. I went for the flush face look. It's dark out so I can't take any good pics, but until tomorrow here's the manufacturer's pic of my wheels.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by tHisZ_bFAST
GT500 - 10 / 15 teams use Rays Wheels (0 teams use Wedsport, 1 BBS, 4Enkei)

GT300 - 9 / 26 teams use Rays Wheels (2 teams use Wedsport, the rest are Enkei, Werk, American Racing, BBS)

Here's another fact. All the teams that use Rays Wheels pay for them.

Hmm....I wonder why almost half of the field is willing to pay for wheels when they can just get freebies from other wheel companies????

Also forgot to add that most of the wheels on the market today is junk. I think most consumers these days "try" to educate themselves with products they buy by asking questions and going online. Obviously Volks do get mentioned a lot, so there must be a reason why set after set, car after car, people keep buying Volks.

#1 Qualilty
#2 Strength - Rigorous in-house testing standards. How many company's you know drop a 1 ton weight on their wheels then check the structural integrity of the wheel.
#3 Good looks
#4 Price - Most 19" Volk wheels retail around $800 MSRP. Weds Kranze wheels are expensive for a cast wheel, $1000-$1100 MSRP for 19".
All good points, however, you can't discount the quality and strength of other wheels. All the wheels I have been mentioning are quality, especially Work wheels.

I actually believe Work Wheels are stronger than Rays, but that is just me.

And yet we still see no variety of wheels that are on people's cars.

I'm just asking for a little variety in the wheels that people are using, that's all

Once again, if someone money to buy a set of Volks, they can easily buy a set of Works
Old 08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
bimma78

Yeah and poor quality
Old 08-08-2006, 07:44 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by jinsei888
couldn't agree with you more Urban; +1 for Weds wheels always!!!
High 5 Weds brother!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:49 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some of the guys over at Gorgeous Garage in the bay area have weds on their Q infiniti widebody...SWEET!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:30 PM
mikhe

IMO, the style of Volks really fits the 350z. TE37,GTC,Le37 all have a really aggressive JDM style looks, which really fits our car. Hence we see alot of ppl in this forum with Volks. BBS,HRE,Iforge, etc, fits classier car more, like the G35, BMWs. I'm not saying 350z can't be a classily car, but it has more potential to look really aggressive.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:52 PM
tHisZ_bFAST

I actually believe Work Wheels are stronger than Rays, but that is just me.

And yet we still see no variety of wheels that are on people's cars.

I'm just asking for a little variety in the wheels that people are using, that's all
I agree that Work wheels are good quality and look good, however they are in no way the same strength as a Volk rim, and are overpriced because of their weaknesses.

Work wheels are casted and heavy. The rim sections are easily bent since they only use spun aluminum barrels, just like HRE, Iforged, Maya, Racing Hart, etc.

I'm not sure how much pressure is used to spin the barrel section, but it is no way close to the 10,000 tons of pressure that Rays uses on their forged rims. And to compare, BBS uses forging machines and they are about 7-8k tons of pressure to form their wheels.

Volk 2 piece wheels uses a forged barrel with a casted center disk. Why other companies use a cast outer and forged center, like HRE and Iforge, is beyond me. Especially when the outer rim is the next closest thing to impact the ground other than your tires. I'm not saying that Volks are bent proof, but would you rather take 100 impacts before bending or just 10.

You may choose to believe that Work Wheels are stronger....but the facts are that they are not.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 PM
M3to350z

Affordable compaired to what......a 1 one piece china rim?

Try compairing them to an equal in quality manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?