Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?

To me, Volk wheels were cool about 3-5 years ago when no one had them.

Today, everyone has them, or wants them, and to me, they have lost their luster.

I just wanted to know if others feel this way. I mean, I get tons of customers asking for Volks, and I sell them all day everyday, but I don't like doing it.

I would much rather see people mix it up with some other high end wheels such as Works, AME, Weds, HRE, etc.

Sure, eventually those lines are doomed to get "played out" as well, but not yet

I know for my Z, I have picked up a set of Weds that I believe I have the only set of on the boards, and I would love to see some others push away from the norm.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Here's what I will be rocking as soon as my container comes in from Japan:

They are Weds Kranze Series (Model: Borphes)

Sizes are 19x10 front, 19x11 rear. Offsets are a secret but it is quite evident that they are agressive.

Yes, I will be running mad camber, and I will get a bunch of people asking me if my car is broken, but I am on a mission to prove that I can fit some of the craziest wheel sizes under a stock fender

So back to the question at hand, are Volks the new norm and is it time to move on yet? Please say yes so people's cars actually look differant from one another
Old 08-07-2006, 03:00 AM
Red Square

yes, volks are pretty much default. but i also think work and ssr are too. these days its all about who got big dish. so i think dish wheels are the norm. that why i ditched my dish gram lights, that i had for 2 and a half years, for some thing better.... it all about one piece forged monoblock.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:05 AM
saberphx

Originally Posted by Red Square
these days its all about who got big dish.
it all about one piece forged monoblock.
which one? lol
Old 08-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Red Square

well TE's are not new or anything...... but if you want to keep it hardcore, its all about size and fitment. i also like LMgt4's in 9.5j +12 and 10.5j +15. but i guess if your going for the pretty vip style, dish will be best.

Last edited by Red Square; 08-07-2006 at 03:48 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:23 AM
TurboSteve

I can't justify spending 2 - 3 grand on something that is so expendable... there are way to many potholes around
Old 08-07-2006, 09:52 AM
JhayRCruz

Originally Posted by TurboSteve
I can't justify spending 2 - 3 grand on something that is so expendable... there are way to many potholes around

getting positive compliments on Volk rims is priceless. For me, the price is all worth it.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:56 AM
saberphx

well TE's are not new or anything...... but if you want to keep it hardcore, its all about size and fitment. i also like LMgt4's in 9.5j +12 and 10.5j +15. but i guess if your going for the pretty vip style, dish will be best.

That fitment is perfect! can you post more pics? looks awesome.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Zexy

Just because many people have Volks does not mean they aren't a premier wheel anymore.

You don't need to guess the offsets are +5 or lower. It's not like it will be the perfect fit anyways so the offset can be such a "secret". That's gonna look like ****.

Last edited by Zexy; 08-07-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Volk wheels are performance wheels for the track minded enthusiast. Justifying to spend that much money is your choice. There are many other choices on the market but there is a reason why Volk wheels are popular and are used in many professional competitions including Super GT. Its funny because at the track this past weekend, majority of the cars were equipped with Volk wheels and not just the 350Z's and G35's. Majority of the EVO's, S2K's, and even one out of the two Lotus's had Volk wheels.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:18 AM
ANXIOUZ

Volks are outstanding and everyone knows that. The only reason everyone doesn't have them is the price of admission. A little more spendy than most are willing to pay.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:24 AM
sen_jen

Weds Kranze Borphes are old school too. i had those on my old car. very sick, but then Tenzo made copies/look-a-likes: Tenzo shu ??. however, Weds are dope. only the Kranze models though!!!

i'm on my 4th set of Volks. why? because i can afford them, and they've never let me down. forged outters are what i'm after. i do care about having what everyone else has too, but there is a thin line between jdm, and quality jdm.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care if they are played out or not. I want them because of the looks AND the quality. However as stated by maximxl, the only reason I don't have them now is the price of admission. But I am willing to hold out.

I definitely like the looks of your new rims though. Post some pics when installed.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Brick-Z

Rims look sick. Yes, Volks are a little played out but hopefully people are buying them for the quality and not for the popularity of them.

FYI I will probably go with the Work XD9 to mix it up.....and save $1000.00
Old 08-07-2006, 11:36 AM
rythex

I can't wait till big lip rims are "out" then I'll put them on to be different.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:37 AM
rythex

uhm, the front wheel looks like it's rubbing the fender and the rim visibly is out of the fender.. I give that tire 2 months
Old 08-07-2006, 12:51 PM
sen_jen

Originally Posted by rythex
I can't wait till big lip rims are "out" then I'll put them on to be different.
haha, word. actually, while at TAS '06, big lips were played out, and 1pc. full faced wheels were in again.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:54 PM
UrbanTacticZ

I don't discount the quality of Volks, I'm simply talking from a styling standpoint. I actually love the new line of Volks that were released, the black on red pictured above.

Volks make great track wheels, and Rays Engineering makes many OEM wheels that are seen on Japanese cars. But, it is getting a little old seeing it on literally every other car that drives down the street.

Maybe that's just because of where I live though...California. Plus I am a wheel *****

I just want to see some more variety out there because right now it seems like many cars on this board are clones of eachother. If someone can afford Volks, they sure can afford Works. I'm just trying to understand why people havn't made the move yet. I actually think that Work wheels are built stronger than Volks, but that is just me.

As far as my offsets being a "secret" they basically arent. All you have to do is know the size of my wheel, measure my lip to get the backspace, do a little math, and you can figure out what offsets I am running. I just don't don't want people biting my stance Afterall, it's not the wheel brand, it's not the lip size, it's all about the stance of the car of when it is parked and when it is rolling. Can you tell that I am VIP style washed yet?

My plan is to bring VIP or "Bippu" styling to the sport coupe scene. There has been a handful of Z's and G's who have gone this route and even fewer that actually look nice.

As for the price one person or a few have brought up not being able to be justified, I somewhat agree. However, I am a special case because I run a shop and I am able to bring these wheels in direct from Japan myself with no middle man. I literally picked up my wheels for a steal, no joke
Old 08-07-2006, 12:59 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Oh and I am not going to say names, but I know some of the industry guys feel the same way I do. I am still curious what the end users think about this subject though

Come on, where's my Work Wheels homies at?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:02 PM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the wheels you choose bring a smile to your face it really doesnt matter what other people think about your wheel choice or a better buy.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:10 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
As long as the wheels you choose bring a smile to your face it really doesnt matter what other people think about your wheel choice or a better buy.
I totally agree, to each is their own.

Quick Reply: Are Volks the new norm? Is it time to move on?