Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

a *new* tire rotation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:40 PM
pedroosan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a *new* tire rotation question

At least I am pretty sure this wasn't asked before:

I am tracking the car on a road course where the left tires get utilized a lot more than the right (making clockwise laps).

I have assymmetrical tires and can feel slight feathering only on the left tires and only outside (hehe, not the infamous inside feathering )

To me it would make totally sense to rotate the tires left <-> right (both front and rear).
Since these are assymmetrical tires (where the "outside" of a tire is marked) you can just swap entire wheel+tire left to right without having to take tires off the wheels.

My point:
Although outside remains outside, the rotation direction would change and thus help even out the feather direction PLUS next time I track, it won't always be the same tires being worked harder.

So this should make sense right?
But the guys that rotated the tires, told me it would make no difference and is not really making sense, so I was wondering what the tire experts here have to say, or the people that track their car and have similar experience.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-diy/137762-how-to-rotate-staggered-directional-tires.html
Old 08-22-2006, 02:57 PM
pedroosan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance

Thanks, I know this thread, but I don't see how it answers my question?
It explains how you can still do rotation with stagger and directional tires, but maybe I am overlooking something?

I don't have directional tires and am wondering if it makes sense to rotate left right given the fact that the lefts are overworked at track days...

?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is, if you do the technique described in the thread you will have the INSIDE of the tire on the OUTSIDE... its not like the other tires where it can be Inside or Outside...

Unfortunatly with the assymmetrical tires there isnt much you can do unless you are willing to run the Outside noted side on the Inside etc... but dont know how they will respond since usually the compounds are different on the Inside and Outside and have different wear charactoristics....