Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Got 'em on!!! plus TPS info

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got 'em on!!! plus TPS info

Finally got my 19" Hiro's on.. sweeeet!!!

There seemes to be a lot of different stories on what happens if you use or don't use PSI sensors on the aftermarket wheels and what lights and alarms sound or don't. Here's my quick observation with my new wheels.

I'm not using the sensors on my Hiro's. This is was what I did and have no warning issues at all of any kind!!

After I installed my Hiro's in the following way, I drove the car non stop for well over 1 hour and did not get any warning lights or alarms of any kind.

First I made sure that all 4 stocke tires/wheels had plenty of air, so that there was no chance of low PSI before I shut my engine off, sice cold, one of them was low (33) anyway. so I inflated them all to 40 PSI, drove around until they all registered with the computer.

I parked the car while I was having my tires mounted to my new wheels, which I was having done in a different city.

My Z sat parked for about 2 hours while the tires were being mounted and I drove back (in my truck) with the new wheels and tires. When I got back with the new wheels, I never put my key in the Z's ignition while insalling them because I didn't want to activate any of the sensors or computer.

I removed the stock wheels and placed them far away from the car, oh about a hundred feet or so because I didn't want them close to the compter when I started up the car, in case it would pick up the signal, plus it's where I was going to store the stock wheels anyway.

By doing this, like I said I drove around for over an hour and had no warning lights, flashes or audible alarms. Of cpurse the psi now read -- -- but of course it would.

Last edited by Chad68; 09-29-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:44 PM
connman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I ask why you didn't reinstall the TPS?
Old 09-30-2006, 12:59 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The alarm comes on after about 45 minutes of continuous driving. No big deal - I didn't even hear mine beep but noticed the light after a while.

The rest of your precautions were meaningless. The sensors are activated by the rotation of the wheels, so placing them far away from the car or making sure they were inflated properly didn't have any effect.

Some people never get a warning, others seem to get them all the time.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by connman
Can I ask why you didn't reinstall the TPS?
There would have been a lot of back and forth trips with my car and or truck to the tire shop and it was way too much hassle of waiting, mounting, unmounting, having 4 tires and 4 rims and no place to store them or pay to have the old tires re mounted blah blah....

If nobody buys my stock wheels and tires, next time I get new tires for the Hiro's, I will have them install the sensors in the Hiro's.

I do like and use the function but just didn't wanna deal with all the effort and time, this time around.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:13 PM
connman

Cool - I'm looking at potentially picking up a set of Hiros, and I was worried that I was wrong in thinking the TPS would work on them.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:28 PM
genxnympho

Thank You for sharing, My hiro's are on the way and the tires will be mounted ASAP. I was considering not installing the TPS but will wait to see if Discount will unmount the stockers to pull them out and I can band them in the Axis.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:07 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by genxnympho
Thank You for sharing, My hiro's are on the way and the tires will be mounted ASAP. I was considering not installing the TPS but will wait to see if Discount will unmount the stockers to pull them out and I can band them in the Axis.
You do not need to band them on the Hiro's. They are a one piece design, they mount on the wheel just like they do on the factory wheel.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:57 PM
InSaNeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always have the dealer de-activate the light that pops up.