Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Titanium lug nuts...pros...cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 02:56 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Titanium lug nuts...pros...cons

Does anyone here have them? Please share your opinions.
Are they worth the money? Name:  tabletalk.gif
Views: 1928
Size:  4.0 KB
Old 01-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Zexy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it involves too much science or complexity dood.

Maybe lighter and stronger?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:31 PM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I don't see any benefit to spending a crap-ton of money just for titanium lug nuts. I got McGard Spline Drive lugs from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/McGar...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-27-2007, 03:48 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without knowing what they cost, the answer to your question about whether they're worth the money, is no. Regular lug nuts do the job just peachy. We're not talking about an ECU here or something complicated.

The only reason it would matter is so you can say you've got them, and its still dubious as far as the cool factor.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:53 PM
drivenCSZ

i hear there's a whole titanium lug section at zcar.com, never been there though

seriously though i dont think itll make much of difference. Alot of folks have the rays Duralum lugs that are supposed to weigh next to nothing, but for over $100 theyre pricey
Old 01-27-2007, 06:21 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Members will spend $200 on a shift ****. If titanium lug nuts is what you want then do it.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Wholey Smokes

Originally Posted by davidv
Members will spend $200 on a shift ****. If titanium lug nuts is what you want then do it.

LOL!! Well said.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:45 PM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by davidv
I understand that...that's not the point I'm trying to make.
Actually I really want to hear from someone who has these. There's got to be a reason why some cost $400 & others $100.
1. Do they really improve acceleration?
2. Do they really improve braking performance?
3. Do they really reduce unsprung mass?
4. Are there different 'types of so-called' titanium?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
Actually I really want to hear from someone who has these. There's got to be a reason why some cost $400 & others $100.
.. What do you think Are you really gullable enough to believe they would offer increased performance?

Plus if you're looking for light lugs Rays ones are extremely light.. Probably lighter than titanium pieces, half the price, and enough strengh for a lug nut.

Buy titanium lugs for braging rights. It's like putting CF on a steering wheel.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:56 PM
drivenCSZ

slugg c'mon man...theyre lugs you're seriously overanalyzing this one...even for you. The lugs I mentioned by rays are shipped as a 1lb package so the lugs themselves probly weigh less than that. you dont track your car(or atleast i dont think so). trust me you wont feel any sort of difference. You're talking fractions of a lb at each corner, even if it is rotational mass if you're that worried you should get a set of lightwieght enkei's or something instead of the wheels you're planning on getting.

also not saying Rays/Volk are the authority on lugs but Im assuming if they want to keep their rep as a wheel manufacturer they better sell quality lugs that they endorse to put on their quality wheels.

Last edited by drivenCSZ; 01-27-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:22 PM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by drivenCSZ
slugg c'mon man...theyre lugs you're seriously overanalyzing this one...even for you. The lugs I mentioned by rays are shipped as a 1lb package so the lugs themselves probly weigh less than that. you dont track your car(or atleast i dont think so). trust me you wont feel any sort of difference. You're talking fractions of a lb at each corner, even if it is rotational mass if you're that worried you should get a set of lightwieght enkei's or something instead of the wheels you're planning on getting.

also not saying Rays/Volk are the authority on lugs but Im assuming if they want to keep their rep as a wheel manufacturer they better sell quality lugs that they endorse to put on their quality wheels.

I got a price quote for some and I'm just trying to compare. No I don't track.
One member has said that the Rays are not great. He's just not happy with 'em. But that is beside the point. I know what I have in mind....however these titanium ones came up in a discussion when I was talking about lug nuts in general. That's it!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:20 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lug nuts are auto jewlery. They are asthetic only. Buy what you think looks best. If they hold the wheel on then that's all it has to do. I have the Ray's in blue. I like them. Titanium is insane for that money just to say you have titanium.

Pro's over aluminum: NONE
Con's: PRICE

JET
Old 01-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love my kics project's... Wouldnt mind having a set of ti lugnuts though, you know just for kicks
Old 01-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Tubbs

If you don't want to be a loser on then you should get titanium lugs. You're not a loser are you?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:59 AM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Lug nuts are auto jewlery. They are asthetic only. Buy what you think looks best. If they hold the wheel on then that's all it has to do. I have the Ray's in blue. I like them. Titanium is insane for that money just to say you have titanium.

Pro's over aluminum: NONE
Con's: PRICE

JET
I agree with the cosmetic thing....but aren't the titanium chemicals used in aluminum? I think they are therefore making them stronger, better threading, a better finish and lasting forever? I really would like to hear from someone who has these and find out what they have to say along with some pics. So far, thanks to all.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 AM
CarlosCh

If you really are looking for performance on this... you are way out of the right place, pal.

Titanium is hard to work upon, requires different tooling, is certainly stronger than and it is a tad lighter than aluminum... and has the added benefit that you can brag about your titanium lugs ... but performance-wise there is nothing here (unless your current lugs are made of lead and weight 1lb. each )

Anyway, if you like them, whatever the reason, go ahead and get them: it is your car and your money.

Good luck!
C.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes there is a reason some are more than others - branding

to answer you

1. not by any measurable amount, or anything you can feel. Does your car feel any faster when you have 5 CD's sitting in your front seat vs removing those CD's? That is more of a weight difference than ti lugs give

2. see #1

3. see #1

4. I am sure there are grades, like any other metal

Pro vs aluminum - probably will not strip as easily. Aluminum lugs, especially the Duralumin type (Volk, which I have on my car, Work, etc etc absolutely STINK for longevity (by longevity I mean if you take your wheels on and off frequently). The colors bleed away over time if you use anything stronger than soap on them, and due to my frequent removal/reinstall, I've since had to replace 5 studs and 2 lugs.

Also keep in mind that with many aftermarket lugs, you can't buy just 1 if you lose one, nor can you just buy the "key" very often. To replace the 2 lugs (1 stripped, 1 lost), I had to raid the set of Volk lugs I had bought for my Datsun (4 lug car, same thread though). If I had not, I would have had to buy a whole new set, at over $100 a set...lame. In other words, best used for show use only IMHO.

Another thing to keep in mind is all the ti lugs I've seen are open end, so the studs tend to look like crap after a few times in the rain

By comparison, the spline drive lugs we now use almost exclusively never fade in color, can be removed with an impact gun without scratching the finish, and if you lose one, you can purchase just 1 or 2 or how ever many replacements you need. I'm going to save the fancy lugs for show use only

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-28-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:20 AM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by dmroberson
Personally, I don't see any benefit to spending a crap-ton of money just for titanium lug nuts. I got McGard Spline Drive lugs from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/McGar...spagenameZWDVW
Good point, however if you had the chance to buy a titanium lug nut set for $100.00 brand new....would you buy them?
Old 01-28-2007, 04:34 AM
sluggoZ

Z1Perf..I appreciate your detailed input....that's why when I bought my wife's Lexus RX300, I bought the McGard kit & lock so if I lost something it could be easily replaced from McGard...you made a great point!

Ok...to set the record straight...No, No, No this is not about performance....it's about primarily what Z1 Perf said about the durability.
Also about pricing too...if the McGards cost $75 than the titanium for $100 is a deal.

BTW I did not know that the Titanium were all open ended.....again....Excellent point
This is exactly why I started this thread...
Thanks guys...

Last edited by sluggoZ; 01-28-2007 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the spline drive set we sell if $55.00 shipped

so would I spend $100 on ti lugs? Personally, no I would not...what you would do, is really up to you though

I can't say if ALL of them are open ended - all the ones I've ever seen are though

Quick Reply: Titanium lug nuts...pros...cons