Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

OEM Wheel Modification Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 PM
tazicon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People do that crap on here to huh? What a flippin waste...............

I can't believe people brag about putting that crap on their cars

Last edited by tazicon; 06-06-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:07 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Plasticrap modding is the latest fad in the ricer community, please keep the ricer community away from us.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Merged with existing stock wheel modification thread
Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

Dunno..its paint...I mean...what's the issue w it? Are we suddenly against modding cars?
I think ppl have gone too far .... take a step back and let ppl play w their cars. Its what we do..
I know my mods all looked like **** when I was 16... but no one told me to go f myself over it..dunno.. food for thought...
There's a time n place..I dont get this aversion to plastidip..the name sounds whack..but its an incredible product.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:05 PM
realist alive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paint, were talking about paint, not something permanent but paint, hold on hold on were talking about paint.....(in my allen iverson voice)

I painted my wheels with spray paint and have been at many car shows and people ask me if they are powder coated(i used sandpaper primer engine enamel and clear coat) plasti dip is not my cup of tea but its only a coat of silver paint away from looking stock. no need to bash for something that is sold as a non permanent peel off paint
Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

I think were all.out of parts for this car..there's nothing new being done anymore..and everyone's just cranky that the drug is wearing off..
Anyone else agree? Props to ANYONE who does hands on diy custom..
Its what started choppers, its what took guys to the salt flats w model t and model a fords in the 50s.. and its Alice today.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
I think were all.out of parts for this car..there's nothing new being done anymore..and everyone's just cranky that the drug is wearing off..
Anyone else agree? Props to ANYONE who does hands on diy custom..
Its what started choppers, its what took guys to the salt flats w model t and model a fords in the 50s.. and its Alice today.
Doing to protect your wheels from salt during the winter... ok. Doing it to protect your wheels from road debris... ok. Dinoc wrapping interior pieces because you can't afford new window switches is fine. Plastidiping something because you think it's cool is hardly DIY worthy and is retarded.

Originally Posted by realist alive
paint, were talking about paint, not something permanent but paint, hold on hold on were talking about paint.....(in my allen iverson voice)

I painted my wheels with spray paint and have been at many car shows and people ask me if they are powder coated(i used sandpaper primer engine enamel and clear coat) plasti dip is not my cup of tea but its only a coat of silver paint away from looking stock. no need to bash for something that is sold as a non permanent peel off paint
Oh really... where in FL are you located? Those people that ask if your wheels are powder coated are the same type of person who asks if my Z is a Porsche.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 PM
realist alive

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Oh really... where in FL are you located? Those people that ask if your wheels are powder coated are the same type of person who asks if my Z is a Porsche.
you know that is an ignorant response
im in tampa, i just graduated from USF with my finance degree... debt free because i choose to paint my wheels for $20 instead of dropping $1000+ for wheels. I am currently looking to start my professional career and would love nothing more then to buy a set of wheels, however because of my financial situation it did not make sense when all I wanted was something black. Like you said the general population confuses our cars with porches and cant tell that the small minor imperfections in my spray paint would never happen with a quality powder coating job. but that is my point exactly we are just talking about paint, a hand full of people will notice what it is but most people will say wow nice job I couldn't tell. Then when I go to sell the car I will buy silver paint turn them back to normal. correct me if i am wrong but judging by how easily i sanded the silver color off down to bear metal I would say are stock wheels are not powder coated the color they are and they are painted that color with a little more of a sophisticated way then what I was capable of doing in my back yard. I could be wrong but my last set of powder coated wheels were not much better looking then what I did for much cheaper

Last edited by realist alive; 06-07-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by realist alive
you know that is an ignorant response
im in tampa, i just graduated from USF with my finance degree... debt free because i choose to paint my wheels for $20 instead of dropping $1000+ for wheels. I am currently looking to start my professional career and would love nothing more then to buy a set of wheels, however because of my financial situation it did not make sense when all I wanted was something black. Like you said the general population confuses our cars with porches and cant tell that the small minor imperfections in my spray paint would never happen with a quality powder coating job. but that is my point exactly we are just talking about paint, a hand full of people will notice what it is but most people will say wow nice job I couldn't tell. Then when I go to sell the car I will buy silver paint turn them back to normal. correct me if i am wrong but judging by how easily i sanded the silver color off down to bear metal I would say are stock wheels are not powder coated the color they are and they are painted that color with a little more of a sophisticated way then what I was capable of doing in my back yard. I could be wrong but my last set of powder coated wheels were not much better looking then what I did for much cheaper
The back story is irrelevant, I'm debt free too and sadly after your explanation... it still looks like crap. I was just curious of your location because there isn't too many "car shows" in S.FL. Yes the OEM wheels are not powder coated and I've seen very nice examples of powder coating that would convince you otherwise. All I'm saying is... other than Civics, VW's, Evo/Subies, and now Z's... which other cars do the whole plastidip thing?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
SDGenius

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

powder coated my Wife's v.1 track 18's bronze
Name:  DSCN1268.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  70.7 KB
Name:  DSCN1267.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  104.5 KB

added custom center caps
Name:  DSCN1312.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  104.1 KB
Name:  DSCN1315.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  77.3 KB
Name:  DSCN1320.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  82.4 KB
Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 AM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

The IS300 guys love the dip, that car has become a serious contender as the Civic replacement. I don't miss mine one bit.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 AM
realist alive

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
The back story is irrelevant, I'm debt free too and sadly after your explanation... it still looks like crap. I was just curious of your location because there isn't too many "car shows" in S.FL. Yes the OEM wheels are not powder coated and I've seen very nice examples of powder coating that would convince you otherwise. All I'm saying is... other than Civics, VW's, Evo/Subies, and now Z's... which other cars do the whole plastidip thing?
ok i get what you are saying, and would never plasti dip anything on my car, if i wanted protection its to easy to just use blue painters tape. I never understood doing a mod that you basically expect to peel off. I am 90% sure i will be buying wheels or powder coating my stocks, I just need to find a time when I can put my car out of commission long enough to do it, or get funds for new wheels. Your right about the car shows you have to follow V2 labs theorygarage.com, ILDS http://ilovedrivingslow.com/eventsmeets (they are doing cars and beaches in miami soon), USF car meets(mostly civics and extreme ricers), but honestly if you came you would put most of the cars to shame.... your car is done very well. abot the whole which cars do the plasti dip thing. go o youtube there is a company that shows you how to do the whole car with a spray gun from home depot. they will sell you a gallon of plasti dip enough to coat the whole car
Old 06-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by SDGenius
That looks pretty cool

Makes a big difference in quality and presentation when you powdercoat versus rattle can or plastidip.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM
SDGenius

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^thanks, yeah best part about pc is how resistant it is to brake dust.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Thread cleaned up

This thread is about the modification of stock wheels, not the justification of Plastidip
Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 AM
FairladyZX

cool thread now i can be proud of my stock chrome wheels lolz

at least it saves me some rubber and almost pot hole proof vs. 19"s that i can't afford now
Attached Thumbnails OEM Wheel Modification Thread-imag1297-1-.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 02:05 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They look like plain old stock wheels...
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 AM
BOATS N HOES

Originally Posted by SDGenius

added custom center caps

I spy WINDANSEA!
Props
Old 07-12-2012, 06:15 PM
08zcar

Default New Wheels

Haven't posted in a while, but here it goes.

I got a good deal on some 19" G35 Rays(Always loved them) , but they are white. I have a San Marino blue Z. What are your opinions??? Try the white, or get them powder coated bronze????

Does anyone have pics of a SMB Z with white wheels of similar design?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 PM
mattleegee

it will be ok until you don't like it anymore and get them powder coated

Quick Reply: OEM Wheel Modification Thread