Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Limited slip going of on highway

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 AM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Limited slip going of on highway

not sure if this is right section but, At first I thought I had the wrong tires, but I got those replaced with brand new ones according to specs. Then I thought it was the suspension( still might be) but dealer said OK. Then I posted a question and allot of people told me the shocks might be the ones going bad...dealer said ok again. Now my car feels like its gonna come up of the road at 70+ pretty damn scary..and the slip light keeps going of, even on simple lane changes it goes off sometimes. I have no idea whats wrong with the car....any Ideas?? It still feels like am driving on a waterbed, floaty, ...sometimes the car steers its self a little and I have to control it! Driving is no longer a pleasure, it feels more like survival...LOL any ideas or help>?? thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the SLIP light comes on while going that fast, something is wrong. Did any of the techs you took it to, drive it? Does it only happen once in a while, or everytime you drive? Alignment issue maybe? Was it driving like this when you bought it, or did something change to cause this? Like some sort of mechanic work, hit a pot hole, etc... Then it started acting this way.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:56 AM
gabez33

Originally Posted by Subrwho
If the SLIP light comes on while going that fast, something is wrong. Did any of the techs you took it to, drive it? Does it only happen once in a while, or everytime you drive? Alignment issue maybe? Was it driving like this when you bought it, or did something change to cause this? Like some sort of mechanic work, hit a pot hole, etc... Then it started acting this way.

No its was like that when I bought it, and it only happens sometimes, but it happens at least once a day! Its pretty scary, One of the techs took it for a short drive and of course the it behaved a little. Last night coming home from work it was pretty windy and I was driving on the highway, and the slip light was going off quite a bit, felt like the car was gonna lift of the road...I just dont feel safe at all in this car anymore
Old 02-18-2007, 02:05 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

The rear wheels and tires are the same size right? Did the installer screw up and put the wrong tires on the wrong wheels on the wrong axle?

And yes I am asking from first hand experience.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:22 PM
SS21CA

I would do a search. I remember reading something about the slip light occasionally during normal driving. I think it was due to having the correct ratio of front to rear tires. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:30 PM
black06z

take some pics.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by davidv
The rear wheels and tires are the same size right? Did the installer screw up and put the wrong tires on the wrong wheels on the wrong axle?

And yes I am asking from first hand experience.

Yeah, they are correct. Every time I go over a bump I also hear a thunk noise from the right rear area. Today on my way home the slip light was going on and off for about 15 sec. going 75mph...Am gonna take it to another dealer, eggghh what a headache..other than this problem, the car is perfect!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Z04

get it checked immediately, something defintiely is not right
Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

What size tires did you say you had again?

Chris
Old 02-19-2007, 11:03 AM
rockinbboy

^^+1

When you said according to specs, do you mean back to stock specs? Stock rim?
Rim: 18x8 F, 18x8.5 R
Tires: 225/45/18 F, 245/45/18 R?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:10 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, Give us the Tire Size for each Wheel.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:04 PM
gabez33

Yeah, according to stock specs, like it say on the inside of the door panel. I tried to take my car to the dealer and they said they couldnt see my car because it was swamped with people...I hate world car nissan. I treid looking under the car to see if anything looked loose or wrong, but everything looked OK, then again, I dont really know anything when it comes to suspension stuff
Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you're not really giving any information so people can help you

what exactly is the car doing? under what conditions? Be specific

what is done to the car? Do you have any aftermarker parts? What wheels, what tires? Car ever in an accident?

What exact noise is is making?

And stupid question - have you checked your tire pressure?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:52 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
you're not really giving any information so people can help you

what exactly is the car doing? under what conditions? Be specific

what is done to the car? Do you have any aftermarker parts? What wheels, what tires? Car ever in an accident?

What exact noise is is making?

And stupid question - have you checked your tire pressure?
The car feels like its riding on a water bed, best way I can describe it. IT usually happens when I switch lanes on the highway, or when I come out of a turn. The slip light keeps going of cutting throttle. The car is stock and so are the wheels and the tires are kuhmo ecstas ASX. The car has never been in an accident ...clean carfax, And yeah tire pressure was the first thing I checked. At above 80mph or so the car feels like its gonna lift of the road. And the noise that I keep hearing from the right rear, I checked to see if anything was loose/spare/ anything in trunk...no everything is nice and secure. The noise is kinda like metal hitting metal...thats why I thought maybe the spare was loose back there...but it wasnt...I hope this helps a little
Old 02-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok...now we try a bit better to help

have you had the car on the alignment rack yet? Any chance of snapping a pic of the rear of the car, license plate level and posting it?

Under what conditions does the noise happen?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:20 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
ok...now we try a bit better to help

have you had the car on the alignment rack yet? Any chance of snapping a pic of the rear of the car, license plate level and posting it?

Under what conditions does the noise happen?
No, hopefully tomorrow they can check the alignment out. I would have to wait till morning to snap a pic cause its raining over here. Well the noise usually happens when I go over a somewhat decent bump, but its only on the right rear side. Sometimes the car also feels like its going any direction it feels like...And I have to control the wheel to keep it strait. That and of course the water bed ride feel. I really appreciate all the help BTW
Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it easy to push down on any one corner of the car? hear a nosie specific to only one corner when you push? I wonder if you have one spring broken or no longer alighned.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by sean1967
is it easy to push down on any one corner of the car? hear a nosie specific to only one corner when you push? I wonder if you have one spring broken or no longer alighned.
I pushed down on all the corners and they seemed ok, I wasnt able to duplicate the noise either, Never had this problem with any car I've owned so am completly clueless here
Old 02-19-2007, 08:13 PM
cubu

floating sounds like a bad or loose shock, did u check so see if the rear shocks are bolted in?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:49 PM
BeyJer

this sounds like a bad alignment and or loose suspension components...also could be defective tires.

a good buddy had a similar problem with his s14, bumps on the freeway would unsettle the rear and make it feel like the back was going to come around on a straight road. it turned out to be defective tires...

please make sure to keep us updated and good luck finding the solution.

Quick Reply: Limited slip going of on highway