Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Rota Rims Good Or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just want the looks and don't mind sacrificing some quality then go for rotas. They're still a lot better than some other things such as Stern, Luff, motegi, etc.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:03 AM
tHisZ_bFAST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NA&CH
Yea and not everyone can throw money around like some and buy 8 sets of Volks...

I hate the comment on "if you can't afford ____ then don't buy anything" Hey if you like paying twice as much for something that works or does the same job then have at it boss. I am speaking in general. Get over yourselves....
Yea....I've been through a lot of Volks over the years. I saved and saved for my first set when I was broke in college. Why? Because I don't "SETTLE" for something that I don't even want in the first place. Plus Volks have good resale value. You can sell them when you're bored with it and pay a little more for a new set w/tires.

It's funny how many people buy nice watches/clothes/shoes for themselves but turn around and buy cheap knock-off products for their cars. I'm speaking in general...of course.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Pooplet

Its not like the damn thing is gonna fall apart when you hit 120+ mph. Ive had my slipstreams for over 5 years with 80k miles on them and they still look good not to mention the millions of potholes i ran through.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:25 PM
WalkerT
Professional

Originally Posted by tHisZ_bFAST
Safety first.

If you can afford a Z, why would you put anything lower quality than OEM wheels.
They have the same strength rating as stock.

To each his own.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:01 PM
A_Del

I was considering buying the te37 time attacks in a 19" from: http://www.nyxracing.com/volk-wheels...3068_4841.html

could some one explain the sizes included, is it a good price and would they look good in a black 2007 z?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
dan avoN7

Originally Posted by Zexy
+1 I'd rather roll OEM than rota
how can you say the oem wheel is better quality than a rota? they both meet the same safety tests, rota weighs less in a larger size, rota looks better. i fail to see that logic.

also i'm not sure why you comment on these wheels when your setup isn't the safest out there. last time i checked this wasn't the best wheel/tire combo

19x11 w/ 275/35/19
Old 03-12-2007, 04:15 PM
ProjectAlpha

Old 03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
keosh

i want to get volks but dont have that kind of money and cant find anywhere that will let me pay it off monthly if any one knows anywhere in socal that does then let me know im going that same day and buying volks if not then from the looks of it im going to go get rotas
Old 03-12-2007, 08:05 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keosh
i want to get volks but dont have that kind of money and cant find anywhere that will let me pay it off monthly if any one knows anywhere in socal that does then let me know im going that same day and buying volks if not then from the looks of it im going to go get rotas
If you really want Volks, why don't you save up some more money for them?
Unless you REALLY need new rims soon I think you'll be much happier
being patient and eventually getting what you want.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:12 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you trash talking about rotas. i've been rolling on them for about a year now. I've had stock wheels, I've had G35 wheels and i've had my rotas and I must say the rotas are just as good if not better than stock.

I have done multiple quarter mile runs, canyon runs, highway 140+ runs with no problems. These wheels are awesome for the price. They aren't cheap at all, every rim manufacturer has problems please don't point fingers on one brand.

They may not be forged but that doesn't mean they will break, bend, or crack unusually. Hell, tires cost more than my rotas and thats how i'll keep it. I don't think it's necessary spending 4 g's on volks that everybody already has whereas I can spend it on useful parts. Face it, you don't drive a lambo therefore just buy whatever suits you well.

Here are my "weak" rotas for the haters. Enjoy!

Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
tHisZ_bFAST

Originally Posted by dan avoN7
how can you say the oem wheel is better quality than a rota? they both meet the same safety tests, rota weighs less in a larger size, rota looks better. i fail to see that logic.

also i'm not sure why you comment on these wheels when your setup isn't the safest out there. last time i checked this wasn't the best wheel/tire combo

19x11 w/ 275/35/19
Do you know what it takes for a wheel manufacturer to have their wheels pass OEM standards? The rules are very strict and the specifications are extremely high. They say they test to international standards but don't put which ones they test to? C'mon, there's only two major test standards in the world. TUV and JWL. So which one is it? I would like to see these test results. Or do they just put JWL on the rim cause it looks nice next to all the other China made copies?

In Japan, a wheel manufacturer must pass JWL testing standards and have the wheel certified by the Japan VIA (similar to US DOT) before they can sell anything to Japanese market. If they don't pass, then cannot sell.

Made in the Phillipines/China/Thailand wheels are most likely NOT tested. That's why costs are extremely low because they don't have to pay for testing/certification and their workers probably get paid $5.00 per day. I'm not even sure if some of the high end wheels like Iforge/HRE are even tested.

The number one concern is safety. As cars get heavier and more horsepower, the need for stronger wheels are a must especially with light "racing" wheel designs. I guess thats why a stock Evo uses high quality manufacturers like Enkei (base models), BBS (MR model), and RalliArt (aftermarket made by RAYS).

The support of knockoff companies will weaken the aftermarket industry whether it is wheels/performance/suspension/etc. In the end, quality parts manufacturers will suffer and close shop due to lost sales. Then who will the knock-off companies copy? From each other? lol.

Many of you praise the knock-off wheel companies but do you also wear knock-off clothing?watches?shoes? Probably not.

For you viewing pleasure and education. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEq8C5ZIezY
Old 03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
GolfinZ

thisZbeast...assuming you have bought tires with all of your volks...you have spent ATLEAST $25,000! congrats!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 PM
tHisZ_bFAST

Originally Posted by GolfinZ
thisZbeast...assuming you have bought tires with all of your volks...you have spent ATLEAST $25,000! congrats!!!
Actually, I'm still using money from 5 sets ago selling/rebuying newer wheels and tires. So I haven't spent any money lately.

Thanks for playing the assumption game though.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol @ this thread. You'd think rota's were self destructing left and right from the opinions of some of these clowns.

They all roll
Old 03-12-2007, 09:50 PM
DJShan209

Originally Posted by zodiac
Safety first is right!

However, if you like the Rotas, put em on. If you can afford the baller/race rims, then put them on. you shouldn't have to take out a second mortgage to get rims.
+1
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
WalkerT
Professional

"In Japan, a wheel manufacturer must pass JWL testing standards and have the wheel certified by the Japan VIA (similar to US DOT) before they can sell anything to Japanese market. If they don't pass, then cannot sell"

They sell rotas in Japan. Now what do you have to say?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 PM
keosh

ya but realy i would rather get stuff to put under my hood instead of wasting 3 grand on just rims i think im sticking with Rota's. Flame all you want im just the one being smart with my money
Old 03-12-2007, 10:52 PM
bacalhau16

I think the real reason most people dislike rota's is because they are a knock off company. Much the same as to why people dont like Megan racing products. I will say that when Megan racing first came out, their products were not up to par, but now their material usage and welds are much better.

I'm sure for every set of cracked rota wheels found, you can found a cracked Volk wheel/BBS wheel/PIAA and so forth.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
jimmyloose

f'real.^
Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 PM
dan avoN7

tHisZ_bFAST - get all your facts before posting. Rota wheels are JWL, ISO, and VIA Certified.

Quick Reply: Rota Rims Good Or Bad