Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Rota Rims Good Or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:47 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bacalhau16
I think the real reason most people dislike rota's is because they are a knock off company. Much the same as to why people dont like Megan racing products. I will say that when Megan racing first came out, their products were not up to par, but now their material usage and welds are much better.

I'm sure for every set of cracked rota wheels found, you can found a cracked Volk wheel/BBS wheel/PIAA and so forth.

Funny part is, a lot of the guys who have volks buy megan racing products.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by walkert
So you belive that everyone should spend 2-3 grand on wheels just to jump on the Volk/piaa band wagon?

I have a limited budget and I think these are a great rim for the price.

i have to agree. i saw travis's car a dfw drag day and i was impressed. but they still arent as nice as my GT-7's, travis!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:52 PM
EbonyNinjaDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, being that I have Volks rims on my Z and I have seen the Rota Red type rims you are speaking of on a few cars in Japan. But I have know idea of the age of the rims on the vehicles, so the fade issue is beyond me. I would venture to say that the paint should remain on the rims as long as you don't "Curb Check" them. (smile).
Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 AM
michaeljr6

imo, the wheels totally change the look of the car....so choose it carefully. i've seen great looking cars, but the whels are EEEEEEK. but you can't go wrong with volks...

rotas are good if you're on a budget, but if you're on a budget in the first place..you shouldn't be shopping for new wheels...just get better tires..
Old 03-13-2007, 01:12 AM
WalkerT
Professional

Originally Posted by Nexx
i have to agree. i saw travis's car a dfw drag day and i was impressed. but they still arent as nice as my GT-7's, travis!
my time slip is better than your

michaeljr6 - not when you had stock 17s
Old 03-13-2007, 01:16 AM
michaeljr6

Originally Posted by walkert
my time slip is better than your

michaeljr6 - not when you had stock 17s
i've never had 17's...they were 18's...
Old 03-13-2007, 07:48 AM
WalkerT
Professional

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
i've never had 17's...they were 18's...

But some of us did. So replacing oem wheels for us was a better idea than just buying tires.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by tHisZ_bFAST
Do you know what it takes for a wheel manufacturer to have their wheels pass OEM standards? The rules are very strict and the specifications are extremely high. They say they test to international standards but don't put which ones they test to? C'mon, there's only two major test standards in the world. TUV and JWL. So which one is it? I would like to see these test results. Or do they just put JWL on the rim cause it looks nice next to all the other China made copies?

In Japan, a wheel manufacturer must pass JWL testing standards and have the wheel certified by the Japan VIA (similar to US DOT) before they can sell anything to Japanese market. If they don't pass, then cannot sell.

Made in the Phillipines/China/Thailand wheels are most likely NOT tested. That's why costs are extremely low because they don't have to pay for testing/certification and their workers probably get paid $5.00 per day. I'm not even sure if some of the high end wheels like Iforge/HRE are even tested.

The number one concern is safety. As cars get heavier and more horsepower, the need for stronger wheels are a must especially with light "racing" wheel designs. I guess thats why a stock Evo uses high quality manufacturers like Enkei (base models), BBS (MR model), and RalliArt (aftermarket made by RAYS).

The support of knockoff companies will weaken the aftermarket industry whether it is wheels/performance/suspension/etc. In the end, quality parts manufacturers will suffer and close shop due to lost sales. Then who will the knock-off companies copy? From each other? lol.

Many of you praise the knock-off wheel companies but do you also wear knock-off clothing?watches?shoes? Probably not.

For you viewing pleasure and education. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEq8C5ZIezY
I couldnt have put it any better myself.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 AM
ProjectAlpha

Rotas anyone? LOL
Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tHisZ_bFAST
Yea....I've been through a lot of Volks over the years. I saved and saved for my first set when I was broke in college. Why? Because I don't "SETTLE" for something that I don't even want in the first place. Plus Volks have good resale value. You can sell them when you're bored with it and pay a little more for a new set w/tires.

It's funny how many people buy nice watches/clothes/shoes for themselves but turn around and buy cheap knock-off products for their cars. I'm speaking in general...of course.
Because we all live in USA and have to impress other people with our gliz(sp) and glame Myself included

I was thinking of selling my Advan RG's for rotas so I can purchase my boost
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 AM
dan avoN7

Andy@Performance - so you like to spread misonformation about products also? nice!

Incase anyone didn't see my post on the last page, Rota wheels are JWL, ISO, and VIA Certified.

ProjectAlpha - I could post my bent Volk rims, several cracked gramlights, etc...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by dan avoN7
Andy@Performance - so you like to spread misonformation about products also? nice!

Incase anyone didn't see my post on the last page, Rota wheels are JWL, ISO, and VIA Certified.

ProjectAlpha - I could post my bent Volk rims, several cracked gramlights, etc...
Spread misinformation? Look up my post history and see if I have ever said ANYTHING about Rota wheels. Just cause I quoted someone doesn't mean I've spread the same information.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:04 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rota wheels are just fine, if you don't like them then you shouldnt buy other replica companies. Oh btw I love my shine auto V2 replica, my nismo replica sides!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:14 PM
tHisZ_bFAST

Just because you post it doesn't make it true. If you can back up what you say then you win the arguement. But right now, you don't have anything.

No where on their website does it say Rota certified. ISO, JWL, VIA does not exist on their website so how can you be so sure?

If I had my own wheel company and it's certified...you dam right I'm going to let everyone know my **** is certified. But Rota doesn't. Wonder why?

In order get the JWL certification it must be submitted to the VIA. Here's a list of members for the Japan Light Alloy Wheel Association that are all certified by the VIA. Let me know if you see Rota up in there.

http://www.jawa.jp/en/members.php

Owned right?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:31 PM
ProjectAlpha

lets see them. id love to see a picture of a bent rays wheels.

its obvious you work for Rota, being that their distribution center is right by where you live, its no secret. when rota can get a little creative instead of biting off rays wheels then maybe i wont have anything bad to say about it, but until rota can come up with their own creative designs and actually prove that you are ceritfied by ISO, JWL, VIA, you dont have my vote. i see you guys already copied the re30, haha. how pathetic. it looks like tHisZ_bFAST has you on check homie, hahahaa.

Last edited by ProjectAlpha; 03-13-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:33 PM
rramos28

I just got my new Rotas today and I like them. For me they look perfectly fine. Did not have the money to purchase volks or works but I am sure satisfied with my rotas.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:48 PM
jimmyloose

tire gloss ftw.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
RBlover69

^ werd it looks like u beat ur Zs tires with baby powder
Old 03-13-2007, 05:30 PM
rramos28

No is that I just got them and I put them on quick to see how they look. I am waiting for the other two wheels to come in tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:08 PM
dan avoN7

tHisZ_bFAST - Shot of a new Rota wheel, I'm sure they put the JWL and VIA stamp on there just for looks...

also the Japan Light Alloy Wheel Association site only lists companies residing in Japan. So no Rota won't be on that site.

ProjectAlpha - nope sry, I don't work for Rota. I just find it stupid when people need to make up lies about the wheels.

On with the pics.

My own set of Volk CE28's. Used for daily use in the bay area. not too bad of a bend

this guy hit a curb at 5mph. jk but yea pretty messed up rim

gramlight 57f, rim is completely cracking on the inside of the lip. air leaking through from the tire

my friend also has a set of gramlight 57f's that cracked in 3 spots on one rim. didnt hit any curbs, just daily use aswell.

Quick Reply: Rota Rims Good Or Bad