Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 AM
DMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the sidewalls of the KDW 2's taller than normal? (ie 30 series looks closer to 35 series of other tire brands)
Old 05-04-2008, 12:37 PM
dhwang80

the kdw 2's come stock on the neon srt-4. They provided excellent dry and decent wet traction. They were loud. You hear this humm/drone that was annoyingly noticeable.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:56 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With the exception of noise BF Goodrich KDW2 is hard to beat: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=tires.

Last edited by davidv; 05-04-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:12 PM
87ARMY08

Originally Posted by Djnaz
well i went back today to order my BFG's and they still were being weird about the tires but ne ways i ordered them...He said well maybe Z owners like them but corvette owners dont....
I had them on my 05 C6 corvette(the yellow one) and I have no complaints other than the previously mentioned road noise.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:26 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

BUY MORE BFG'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Sorry shameless plug
Old 05-04-2008, 04:40 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by MethodRN
BUY MORE BFG'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Sorry shameless plug
LOL, this is all I buy. My brother is the regional salesman for Michelin(BFG was bought out by Michelin) so I get 40% off each tire
Old 05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 of the BFG's on the rears and honestly I think the tire noise coming from these are too loud, but the performance on these are great. I think I am going to go with something a bit quieter next time like Toyo
Old 05-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Tootall4yall

I've had two sets of them, and they are great tires, especially considering the cost, etc. I have an 03 G35 Coupe 6MT and drove thru the oem Michelin Pilots (13k miles), a set of Bridgestone S0-3s (9k--worst tires ever), and a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's (14K miles) before I tried them. I was so happy w/the grip in both wet and dry (comparable to the Goodyears) I decided to see exactly how many miles I could get out of them. I decided to drive them until the threads showed. I got 24k out of them before they became too dangerous to drive on anymore, and that's w/a fairly aggressive driving style. Until BFG comes out w/a replacement, I will continue to use them. Great tires!
Old 05-04-2008, 10:12 PM
tware

if you buy KDW2's, be sure to have the shop inspect the bead for excess rubber. You may find seams with alittle excess. Small flat sheets of rubber at the seam locations. If they dont shave those off, you'll probably have a slow leak. Seams very common with the latest batches. Several members have noted this issue. No big deal, just can save you some hassle having to return to the shop if they miss them.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

I've had several sets of KDW2's in various 19" and 20" sizes. They are awesome in the dry. So-so in the rain.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:47 AM
Gooey

Hmmm Im on the other side of the spectrum.

I had these tires for few months now. Tread is still around 60%. The tires have become noisy and they SUCK in wet weather. They grip like crazy on dry pavement but when the roads are wet my rear gets very happy even with the traction control on. I have to drive very slowly because I can feel the rear givin out at anytime.
I shouldve invested a bit more in some Michelins...
However I love how these look. Very aggressive tread pattern. Maybe I got a bad batch? They were excellent in the rain when new but now its ehh.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 AM
MethodRN
For Sale

^ A little out of the ordinary....

I had probably about the same amount of tread wear on my last set before I sold them and never had an issue in wet weather. Anyone from Houston can tell you, when it rains here, even on the freeways large puddles are everywhere. Even driving through those, I never felt like the car was hydroplaining. I'd brake the rear loose when making a turn from a dead stop while the roads were wet and trying to accelerate hard, but that's about it.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 AM
tware

Originally Posted by Gooey
Hmmm Im on the other side of the spectrum.

I had these tires for few months now. Tread is still around 60%. The tires have become noisy and they SUCK in wet weather. They grip like crazy on dry pavement but when the roads are wet my rear gets very happy even with the traction control on. I have to drive very slowly because I can feel the rear givin out at anytime.
I shouldve invested a bit more in some Michelins...
However I love how these look. Very aggressive tread pattern. Maybe I got a bad batch? They were excellent in the rain when new but now its ehh.

Well, from what I've read, these tires can overtemp more easily than others. They are not recommended for AutoX as you can easily destroy the tread once you've pushed them at high temps (like any tire of course, these just go away faster than others). I've seen this with my aftermarket TPMS that does constant temp monitoring. This also would vary by the alignment too.

that said, if you were to have over temped them, they likely have hardened alittle (like an aged tire) and would exhibit what you've described. If you didnt, and I notice youre in MD, dont expect this tire to do anything for you under 55F.. It's not rated for it. I drove mine all winter and they did great at 30F for a tire thats not rated for it. But they sucked in comparison to All Seasons during the cold snaps. I didnt push them when it was under 50F.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the BF's seem a little heavy.. i was looking at the weight comparison on some 285/30/20 and there's a 4 lbs difference between the michelin ps2 and the BF's

4lbs added to the wheel seem like a lot
Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 PM
tware

I love KDW2s... but would buy ps2's if could fit them in my budget. thats about $100 a pound saved (across the set). I think thats a different class of tire. I would say KDW2s are the best value, not the best tire.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:13 PM
turismo

I had probably about the same amount of tread wear on my last set before I sold them and never had an issue in wet weather. Anyone from Houston can tell you, when it rains here, even on the freeways large puddles are everywhere. Even driving through those, I never felt like the car was hydroplaining. I'd brake the rear loose when making a turn from a dead stop while the roads were wet and trying to accelerate hard, but that's about it.
+1
Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 AM
carrera4s

I just picked up a set of 275mm for the rear tires..and before hand I was running 245mm potenza re050a and lost traction in first second and on cold days 60mph in 3rd but now I hook up from 30 rolls with the BFGs....Definitely a good tire for the traction/rain/price
Old 05-08-2008, 10:05 PM
BlueberryYumYum

have the tires for about 1K miles now and live em... they are a lot noisy like every else saids
Old 05-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Gooey

hmm possibility but Temps are pretty decent here in MD. Also when I goto the drag strip I always put on my set of drag wheels. I baby the tires because I dont feel like spending anohter 600 on a set of rears. My car is always garaged so I doupt they are "weathered" or temped. But yea it was raining today and hydroplaining like a ****. Maybe I should contact BFG?

I have my car aligned every 3months too and the tread wear is normal. I have at least 50% if not more tread left on these tires. I say somewhere upwards of 70% range.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 AM
tware

that is surprising.. My sets of KDW2's have always pumped TONS of water until they were down to 20%. While the compound is good for wet (perhaps not the best there is), the water evacuation is just incredible, I've been slicing thru deep puddles without as much as a wiggle. Whereas other tires I've had, albeit in OEM sizes were down right treacherous in wet, and worse in deep puddles

Quick Reply: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2