70.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Lowering Z on 20's need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:58 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lowering Z on 20's need advice

Whats up Everyone. First I want to say I went with 20's for looks not performace. When I upgrade this car to Performance I plan on going FI, and will go to a set of 19's. Thats if I decide to go with more performance.

With that said here is my question.

I bought a set of 20's in Chrome, I want to lower my car were it would look nice and lowered but not to the point were I will get rubbing issues or a camber problem. MY friend has the same set up I have 20 inch I forged wheels on his G Coupe, and lowered the car with Eibach Pro Kit. He said to go with Pro Kits because he didnt have a camber issue and when he went to alighn it they said it pretty much was. The car handles great, and no rubbing issues whats so ever.

I was thinking about getting the prokit, but really wanted a lil lower. I saw that Eibach has a set of Sports Springs that are just a lil bit lower.

What would you guys get

Eibach Pro (1 inch)
Eibach Sports (1.2 inch)

Or any suggestions?

Pics are always very helpful. Wanted to do this project this weekend so your feedback is really much appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eibach Pro (1 inch) will do just fine. Look @ my old ride... https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/134195-got-05-what-ya-think-bout-my-20-s.html
Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Volk350Z
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a set of Volk Racing GT Force in 20x9.5 / 20x10.5 and lower on Tein Coilover
Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by Tac-M
Eibach Pro (1 inch) will do just fine. Look @ my old ride... https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134195
Like the way it look something tells me i may want it lower. LOL

Anyone have pics of the Eibach Sports? Any rubbing issues on 20
Old 04-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Fluid1

I would not recommend either choice without also upgrading your shocks.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM
RedBullRR

Not True my friend. Even Eibach states these springs specs are made to work with your factory Struts. Anything lower then an inch I can see having to do this.

I order the Eibach Pro Kit Springs just to be safe~
Old 04-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
Not True my friend. Even Eibach states these springs specs are made to work with your factory Struts. Anything lower then an inch I can see having to do this.

I order the Eibach Pro Kit Springs just to be safe~

Okay Captain. You run 50k with Eibach's on, and I'll run 50k with the stock springs. I am willing to wager whatever you'd like that the shocks supporting the Eibach springs will be much worse off.

What do I know, I've only set up 10 Nissans' suspensions for the track.

Could you possibly englighten me to the specifications of the Eibachs? I know that they are progressive, do you know their tolerances?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not know about the Z but on the other two nissans that I have had on Eibachs the spring rate were the same for the Pro-Kit as the Sportline. What thisd means is that the sportlines are indeed lower but do not protect from bottoming out and torque steer any better than the Pro-Kits. This tends to lead to shock failure faster as well as not handling as well if you do not upgrade struts. The Pro-Kits should have performance struts as well but will not destroy the strut near as fast. If I was going as low as the Sportline I would at least find something to match the increased lowering with higher spring rate.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Phantom Menace

Go to the FAQ section or search for a subforum on aftermarket parts. I tried posting the link, but it's all "****"s. There is a damn near complete listing of all major brands of lowering springs with spring rates, drop heights, average prices, and spring type (linear or progressive).

The sport lines are stiffer than the pro kits. For either, it is always better to go with an upgraded and shorter strut. But if you don't have the $$$, you don't have the $$$--right?!

So what do you do? Either way, you're throwing the OEM strut away. If you buy fancy JIC coilovers for $1600 or get some used Eibach springs for $100. People get so concerned about the "life span" of a strut. It's a wear part. Like brakes and a fly wheel, sooner or later...you'll have to replace it. Traditionally, when it was time to repalce a worn OEM part people would then buy the higher performing part.

Those who replace the strut right away usually do so for performance reasons only. Only a small percent do so for "bragging" rights. Me, I don't race and don't auto-X (with my Z). Springs would be perfect for me. If they should wear my OEM struts out "sooner" than normal, that's fine as, according to most, you should replace them anyways. By delaying until they are actually spent, I'm saving money for a really nice set of, possibly adjustable, struts and I'm using the brand new OEM struts that I've already paid for. By replacing them right away, I'd lose out on the money for new struts and the money I spent (via the dealer) for the OEMs.

Get the springs...save some $$$...get something else.

OEM struts on 1-1.2" lowered springs should last a few YEARS, at the very least. Unless you go off-roading in you lowered sports car or hit the track then you'll be fine.

***If this upgrade is for performance only, then you'd want a different brand suspension anyways. Eibach's are for looks and a teeny-tiny-eenie-weeenie increase in performace, usually just enough to compensate for the lower ride height. Furthermore, linear springs work better for performance. Progressive springs were invented as a compromise between harsh performance (made for smoth track surfaces and traction) vs. randomly paved roads.

2 cents.

Last edited by Phantom Menace; 04-03-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 AM
RedBullRR

Thank you! Struts eventually whether on OEM Springs or Eibach will wear out eventually. This I agree with. When I need new struts 3 years from now, I will probably get a more complete kit. Why throw out something that is practically new?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Okay Captain. You run 50k with Eibach's on, and I'll run 50k with the stock springs. I am willing to wager whatever you'd like that the shocks supporting the Eibach springs will be much worse off.

What do I know, I've only set up 10 Nissans' suspensions for the track.

Could you possibly englighten me to the specifications of the Eibachs? I know that they are progressive, do you know their tolerances?
I love people like you on the Forums. (Sits around waiting to spit out his Resume to me) LOL.

While I appreciate your concern, and your advise. Being a wise *** online to a complete stranger is just pathetic man. I was asking a simple question, your making it into a discussion. I dont recall ever mentioning anything about going Auto Crossing or Comptetive Racing. If you READ, it is clear as day that I bought 20 inch wheels!

I dont know you from a whole in the wall. For all I know your experience with Nissans are just washing them for the track. I dont know you dude.

And as far as englightening you it is spelt Enlighten (I know its hard that they dont have spell check on the forums, but use a lil common sense) Since your on the Web already google it. It isnt your concern how I lower my car. I was simply asking a question 1 or the other and pics. Dont remember starting the Thread saying looking for a track setup.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Hamy

I'm running Tanabe GF210s w/ my 20s. I don't have any pics but so far so good. No rubbing...25mm offset all around. Oh the GFs lower 1 front 1.2 rear. Cant loose with these springs the ride is better than stock.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Phantom Menace

I've a set of the eibach pro-kits and rear camber kit. I should have them installed sometime next week or so. I'll post pics as soon as they are put on.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:18 PM
hwcustoms

The sportline kit says 1.2, but it slams the car. Might be a little much for 20's.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:22 PM
myladyz33

best advice youll get...dont put 20's on the Z althou those volk gt- forces posted above look rather nice unless its a sick *** volk race rim or work its tacky
Old 04-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by myladyz33
best advice youll get...dont put 20's on the Z althou those volk gt- forces posted above look rather nice unless its a sick *** volk race rim or work its tacky
I disagree. I think 20"ers are the perfect size for the 350. 19's don't look too different from 18's and both (19 & 18) look small on the car. The 20"s are for looks anyhow, so why not?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:49 AM
SnakeBitten

Wow still 20" hate going on lol...For a street car the 20's dont hurt that bad from a roll...But on the track you will get owned....If you are all about performance then you shouldnt get anything over 17/18" rims...It kills me that some say 19's but not 20's...You'd be hard pressed to see any performance difference in acceleration between the two from a roll or dig on the street......Get what you like. Its YOUR car....

Heres a pic of mine with 20" and Eibach Prokit

Last edited by SnakeBitten; 04-07-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:36 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Wow still 20" hate going on lol...For a street car the 20's dont hurt that bad from a roll...But on the track you will get owned....If you are all about performance then you shouldnt get anything over 17/18" rims...It kills me that some say 19's but not 20's...You'd be hard pressed to see any performance difference in acceleration between the two from a roll or dig on the street......Get what you like. Its YOUR car....

Heres a pic of mine with 20" and Eibach Prokit
I agree. If the car comes stock with 18's to my buying 19's makes no sense, keep it stock. Thats just my opinion. I am only going up 2 inches, its not much of a performance decrease trust me. The looks are incredible immediately after installing my wheels. Pics Below. I am still torn between what springs to get.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Nice rims.. If I may.. I would like to let you know with my 20"Axis/Hotchkis springs I have rubbing issues where it rubbed a hole through the wheel well on the driver side.. Im not sure what your dropping spring choice is.. but i think 1.2 in will be too much IMHO.. Dont wanna burst your bubble just letting u know.. I wish I had known and I wouldnt have changed springs.. Now i get annoying rubbing sounds when turning ..
Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by jonb7007
Nice rims.. If I may.. I would like to let you know with my 20"Axis/Hotchkis springs I have rubbing issues where it rubbed a hole through the wheel well on the driver side.. Im not sure what your dropping spring choice is.. but i think 1.2 in will be too much IMHO.. Dont wanna burst your bubble just letting u know.. I wish I had known and I wouldnt have changed springs.. Now i get annoying rubbing sounds when turning ..
WoW sorry to hear that. My wheels are 20x8.5 +25 and 20x10 +25. I ended up buying the Eibach Prokit 1 inch drop all around. My friend did the same setup on his G coupe and had no problems. I know the Axis wheels are wider to. You think I will have a problem?

Quick Reply: Lowering Z on 20's need advice