Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

F@&$ Your Lip!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:49 PM
gsracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by widebody350
lol I guess you'll love mine. 19x12.5 in the rear with a 6.25" lip and a 19x11 with a 5" lip up front...275 in the front and 345s in the rear.
Awesome..got pics. I want to run a 12 inch rear on my lexus.

The S13 is built for track days and autoxing so I need a little width.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:52 PM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFast3r
Where do I talk out my azz? Show me please, I would be glad to appoligize for stuff I said wrong. Also, I said "GENERALLY" big lips mean more weight, so take the time to read what I say before commenting. Also, I would love to be proved wrong, but no one has taken the time to prove anything, they just talk crap. This thread isn't about arguing, it's about posting pics. If you want to argue, PM me, but don't due so till you have taken the time to prove that my wheels are heavier than the same size wheel with a big lip. GENERALLY, my wheel will be lighter. I wonder what the Reverbs weigh? I know they are somewhat light.

To each his own, I have had both kinds of wheels and I have found my Emotions with Kuhmo MX tires to preform way better than anything else I have had. I would never go back to 19's unless i was showing.

ON WITH THE PICS.....

Post pics, I was thinking about getting those cause EVERYONE has the emotions now.
If you took the time to read my post you would realise I dont care about the Lip vs no lip nonsence...I added that I liked the concave rims.....I just chose a dish rim not because its lighter/better/more acceptable to you but because I liked it.....I got no probs with anyone without deep dish just thought the thread title was unnecessarily antagonistic that is all.....Materials and type of forging has a lot to do with the weight of the rim moreso than if its a deep dish or not....have a nice day

btw my rims are 26lbs...The tires are heavier especially the backs according to Gannin tire...People think my rims are chrome thay are not just polished aluminum so not 50lbs like you sarcastically stated
Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
If you took the time to read my post you would realise I dont care about the Lip vs no lip nonsence...I added that I liked the concave rims.....I just chose a dish rim not because its lighter/better/more acceptable to you but because I liked it.....I got no probs with anyone without deep dish just thought the thread title was unnecessarily antagonistic that is all.....Materials and type of forging has a lot to do with the weight of the rim moreso than if its a deep dish or not....have a nice day

btw my rims are 26lbs...The tires are heavier especially the backs according to Gannin tire...People think my rims are chrome thay are not just polished aluminum so not 50lbs like you sarcastically stated
Are we still going on about this. For real. BTW Im still waiting on you to prove to me on the other posts I talk out my azz. Also, im sorry but I find it really hard to believe a wheel of your size is 26lbs. Now I might be wrong, and I will apologized if I am, but just telling me this is not proof.

Which makes me think, wonder how much mine weigh? Im going to have to figure that out.

I didn't make the thread title, have a nice day as well.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:59 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Damn, they make the RE30's in an 18x9.5 +15 and 18x10.5 +18.... That's a bad *** offset. Perhaps a little too much w/o modding the fender or running a skinner tire????

I would love to run a 265/35 front and 285/35 rear if anyone makes that size. Hummm, this may be a good thing to think about here soon.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:59 AM
widebody350

Originally Posted by gsracer
Awesome..got pics. I want to run a 12 inch rear on my lexus.

The S13 is built for track days and autoxing so I need a little width.
Nah I'm hoping the wheels will come in this week.
I'm about to buy an 91 240sx for track only, what are some good forums to get some good info?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:01 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFast3r
Damn, they make the RE30's in an 18x9.5 +15 and 18x10.5 +18.... That's a bad *** offset. Perhaps a little too much w/o modding the fender or running a skinner tire????

I would love to run a 265/35 front and 285/35 rear if anyone makes that size. Hummm, this may be a good thing to think about here soon.
I wish someone would just mount their matte black re30's...maybe some 265/295's...just cut the fenders.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Gman2004

meh, I like big lips. Yes a heavier wheel might hurt performance, but if your worried about .2 of a second I'd say you are pretty **** and need a high colonic.

I'll take my big lip *heavy wheels* and just keep adding more hp/tq to overcome the loss of performance. So far to date I only have two loses and one was to a 2006 Z06 from a 30mph or 40mph roll (I can't remember) which I only loss by less than two cars. I don't think that's anything to be ashamed off.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Gman2004
meh, I like big lips. Yes a heavier wheel might hurt performance, but if your worried about .2 of a second I'd say you are pretty **** and need a high colonic.

I'll take my big lip *heavy wheels* and just keep adding more hp/tq to overcome the loss of performance. So far to date I only have two loses and one was to a 2006 Z06 from a 30mph or 40mph roll (I can't remember) which I only loss by less than two cars. I don't think that's anything to be ashamed off.

Maybe not everyone is as concerned with straightline speed? Perhaps some of like to corner too I personally think big lips are sexy, but love concave too. The combo of both could tear this universe apart.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Tubbs
Maybe not everyone is as concerned with straightline speed? Perhaps some of like to corner too
How do big lips hurt handling? LOL In fact rims with larger lips usually have a wider with and tire which in turn provide better traction.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:03 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

How do big lips hurt handling? LOL In fact rims with larger lips usually have a wider with and tire which in turn provide better traction.
LOL, im not sure this statement is true. Big/Heavy wheels hurt handling in a few ways. Not unnecessarily LIPS specifically, but big/heavy wheels mostly.. Most track (road track) guys use a 17" or at most an 18" wheel with very close size tires at all corners. Too much rubber can be excessive and just adds weight and mass, and that means you have to turn that mass. It's more about the tire than anything when it comes to handling....

At least that's my experience. My Hiro's handled MUCH worse than my Emotions and my emotions are smaller diameter and width. Both wheels had the same width tire on them and nearly the same performing tire.

Now your car on the other hand, I would run a wide wheel and wide tire, then again you pushing a lot more HP than I.

Last edited by MyV6IsFast3r; 04-26-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy the wheels you like, f*ck what everyone else thinks.

I like wheels with lips. I like wheels without lips. The subject does not have to be "black or white"
Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Dio1988

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Buy the wheels you like, f*ck what everyone else thinks.

I like wheels with lips. I like wheels without lips. The subject does not have to be "black or white"

exactly. u should put things on ur car for u, that u like the look of. if others dont like it, who cares... ur the one who drives.owns it
Old 04-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Tubbs

before you LOL... here's your original statement... I'll take my big lip *heavy wheels* and just keep adding more hp/tq to overcome the loss of performance.

And as I stated before... I'd rather keep my wheels as light as possible, as I like to corner as well.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Gman2004

before you LOL... here's your original statement... I'll take my big lip *heavy wheels* and just keep adding more hp/tq to overcome the loss of performance.

And as I stated before... I'd rather keep my wheels as light as possible, as I like to corner as well.
Yes that's my original statement, but I wasn't referring to handling when I said performance. I was refering to losing speed. In fact I gave an example of one of my losses to a Z06 that was from a roll. I didn't say it was on autocross track.

I think this thread is just retarded. Until someone weighs wheels with lips and non lip wheels I don't believe there is much of a difference in weight. If you are talking about wheel size, width, etc. then yes it would most likely be heavier especially if they are chrome lips. The offset determines how much of a lip you will have so I don't see how that would change the weight.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Tubbs

Yes that's my original statement, but I wasn't referring to handling when I said performance. I was refering to losing speed. In fact I gave an example of one of my losses to a Z06 that was from a roll. I didn't say it was on autocross track.

I think this thread is just retarded. Until someone weighs wheels with lips and non lip wheels I don't believe there is much of a difference in weight. If you are talking about wheel size, width, etc. then yes it would most likely be heavier especially if they are chrome lips. The offset determines how much of a lip you will have so I don't see how that would change the weight.

Now that's out of the way, here's my original statement...

"Maybe not everyone is as concerned with straightline speed? Perhaps some of like to corner too I personally think big lips are sexy, but love concave too. The combo of both could tear this universe apart."
Old 04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
one350zfan

Did someone say concave?
Attached Thumbnails F@&$ Your Lip!-lots-of-pics-037-large-.jpg   F@&$ Your Lip!-lots-of-pics-014-large-.jpg   F@&$ Your Lip!-lots-of-pics-063-large-.jpg   F@&$ Your Lip!-lots-of-pics-068-large-.jpg   F@&$ Your Lip!-lots-of-pics-072-large-.jpg  

Old 04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Show me a wheel with a large lip that weighs less than 20lbs in a 19x9.5- I can't think of any. The reason is because manufacturers that produce these luxury style wheels(S1's, Volk GT series, etc) save money by creating the wheels with a cast method and since no serious racer buys these type of wheels they can get away with it. On average a 19x9.5 Volk GT-C, GT-M, SF-Challenge, etc will weigh 24lbs or more. Volks racing line of wheels in the same size will most likely weigh 20lbs or less, some like the CE28N and now the RE30 are less than 18lbs for the same size wheel and are manufactured by cutting up single piece of forged aluminum.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Nihilation
Show me a wheel with a large lip that weighs less than 20lbs in a 19x9.5- I can't think of any. The reason is because manufacturers that produce these luxury style wheels(S1's, Volk GT series, etc) save money by creating the wheels with a cast method and since no serious racer buys these type of wheels they can get away with it. On average a 19x9.5 Volk GT-C, GT-M, SF-Challenge, etc will weigh 24lbs or more. Volks racing line of wheels in the same size will most likely weigh 20lbs or less, some like the CE28N and now the RE30 are less than 18lbs for the same size wheel and are manufactured by cutting up single piece of forged aluminum.

Uh.... really? So you see NO SERIOUS RACERS with cast lipped wheels?

what about these?

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/gallery.php?id=nissan#a

I believe many actually prefer cast to forged, since forged will crack for a limited weight savings. Also, the lip is usually very light, so many opt for the cast center and lighter outer edge.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh.... really? So you see NO SERIOUS RACERS with cast lipped wheels?

what about these?

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/gallery.php?id=nissan#a

I believe many actually prefer cast to forged, since forged will crack for a limited weight savings. Also, the lip is usually very light, so many opt for the cast center and lighter outer edge.
First, forged wheels generally don't crack, they bend... I haven't seen any big race teams using cast wheels, have you?

Besides CCW's popular race wheel the classic I believe is basically a multi-piece forged wheel, taken from their site:
Race Proven 3-Piece Design
Lip - Spun Aluminum
Center - 6061-T6 Aluminum
And CCW is probably one of the few exceptions to make a nice light wheel with a big lip. I would be curious to see what they weigh. I'm sure they're reasonably light. A plus for racers using their 3 piece wheels is the ability to replace the full lips and parts instead of purchasing entirely new wheels in the case of damage.

Last edited by Nihilation; 04-26-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 AM
gsracer

This thread is hilarious. Does the lip summarily determine weight? It is the construction of the wheel, materials, size and width that determines the weight.

I run a one piece wheel on the Solo2 car, but if I were to do any roadracing, I would be more inclined to run a three piece forged wheel so that I could change offsets, widths etc...also, when the lip is damaged you change it out without replacing the entire wheel.

The most common race wheels are not volk or work, although volk 1 piece wheels may be very common in SuperGT. From what I see, the wheels used in the United States are CCW, BBS, Fikse, and Forgeline.

Quick Reply: F@&$ Your Lip!