Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:56 AM
woof*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdavids1
Sweet! The wheels showed up today. I took them up to get tires mounted, and just didn't have time to get all the wheels back (requires 2 trips, and UPS delivered them really late). I'm picking the other two up in the morning, and hopefully will have all 4 on the car before I go to work (c'mon NASCAR-like pit skills).

So after the questions I posed, and the great advice I've gotten, I went out and bought what have to be about the worst lugs ever. It's all I could find locally. The ones I got are "icw Racing". Oh, it says racing, so they must be good, so forget what I said before -- they probably add 40 rwhp or so. They're open-ended tuner lugs.

I'm going to buy some decent ones based on the feedback I've gotten. With this wheel, they're definitely a lot more visible than the lugs on the stock wheels. I'm now torn between black and blue nuts. The valve stems are blue, so I was thinking some Rays anodized blue lugs might look good. The car is Super Black, so black would obviously work too. But, I'm red-green color blind, and officially stupid when it comes to color schemes. If blue's a bad idea, please stop me before I make a mistake.

I am a bit nervous about rubbing now, since Woof* went with 35 series instead of 40. Those 10.5's with the 275/40 on them look really wide! I'll know for sure tomorrow.

If these tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's) perform as good as they look, I think I'm going to need to find a lawyer...
I didnt use the blue stems that came with the wheels, and you probably wont want to either. if your car has tps(tire pressure monitoring system) and it does if you have a touring, you need to have your old wheels broken down,the stock stems with tps sensors removed,and put on your new wheels. MAKE SURE they put the tps stems in the original positions.(left front on left front,right on right etc). otherwise you will have a red light permanently on your dash. you are lucky as the tps stems fit perfect on the new wheels. many aftermarket wheels dont work with the tps stems but the enkei's work great with tps.
good luck!

Last edited by woof*; 06-08-2007 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:20 AM
bdavids1

I've got an 04 touring roadster, which doesn't have tps, so there's no problem there. I did use the blue stems.

I got the wheels on this morning, and so far no rubbing! They're *wide*. The guy at the shop that mounted the tires measured the wheel, and the 9.5's are about 10 inches wide, and the 10.5's are about 11 inches wide.

Last edited by bdavids1; 06-08-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:02 AM
woof*

I've got an 04 touring roadster, which doesn't have tps, so there's no problem there. I did use the blue stems.

I got the wheels on this morning, and so far no rubbing! They're *wide*. The guy at the shop that mounted the tires measured the wheel, and the 9.5's are about 10 inches wide, and the 10.5's are about 11 inches wide.
very cool! pics?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 AM
bdavids1

I'll take some pictures tomorrow. I need to wash it first, as the last time I washed it was yesterday (I did mention that it's SB, right? ).
Old 06-09-2007, 03:34 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by woof*
MAKE SURE they put the tps stems in the original positions.(left front on left front,right on right etc). otherwise you will have a red light permanently on your dash.
Uhhhh, if the TPS gets mounted in a different corner, having your TPS system re-initialized at the dealer's will resolve compatibility issues with the car TPS receiver and car display. I have three sets of Z wheels, two of which have (different) TPS sets. Whenever I swap out between the two (winter/summer) sets, I take it to Nissan afterwards to re-initialize the TPS. Takes but 10 minutes and if yu are nice to your dealer, he does it for free!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:45 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Go with project kics, either the charcoal color or if you like it, the neo-chro color.

Quality can't be beat... much better than any aluminum lugs IMO
Just purchased a set of Project Kics R40s with locks myself. On back order for about a month though. Oh well, more toys for when I get home.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:51 PM
BlackSpec02

Are the project kicks lugs aluminum or steel? I think for a part of your car that is so vital to safety I would want the strongest material possible.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:53 PM
BlackSpec02

I've got some Enkei RPF1's that should arrive this Thursday. This is my first set of aftermarket wheels, so I've got some questions. Can I use the stock lug nuts, or will I need different ones? If the stock ones are usable, but will look really dumb I'll put that in the "need different ones" category. Speaking of the stock lug nuts, I just took the wheels off for the first time this past weekend, and there's one short lug nut on each wheel, and all of the others are long. Is that normal? (I bought the car used)

If I need new ones, I'm looking for 12x1.25, right? Are there pros/cons to the closed end vs. open end lug nuts? Why is there such a huge difference in prices? I've seen lug nut sets from $25 all the way up to $500 something for some titanium lug nuts. I'm guessing the cheapo aluminum ones will strip pretty easily? What's a reasonable price range for non-crappy lug nuts?

My new setup will be 18x9.5 +15 w/ 255/40 and 18x10.5 +15 w/ 275/40 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. That's on an 04 SB roadster. Hopefully it all fits! I saw that Woof* is running the same wheels (but different tires) on a coupe and hasn't had any problems, so I think it should be ok.

Thanks!

Did you get your wheels mounted yet? Post pics.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
Are the project kicks lugs aluminum or steel? I think for a part of your car that is so vital to safety I would want the strongest material possible.
Project Kics Info Link
Old 06-10-2007, 02:28 PM
bilinghm

I have RPF1's and have used the stock Nissan lugs since the original installation. Work great, look great. Use the Enkei supplied socket to prevent damage to the wheel.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:54 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by synth19
Mcgard spline lug nuts FTW, strongest on the market.

http://chicagoz.com/v-web/bulletin/b...ghlight=mcgard

Up close:
Winner! Best lugs out there IMO. At the end of the day, if someone wants to steal your wheels, no locks or lugs can stop them. Don't waste too much money on the fancy brand name ones. Mcgard is used on OEM applications as well, can't really go wrong
Old 06-10-2007, 06:46 PM
bdavids1

Default Some pictures

I took her out for a spin today, and pushed much harder than I normally drive. There was very minor rubbing on the back when cornering really hard (about 80mph on an exit ramp marked 25 mph). For normal highway driving, even on crappy roads I don't get any rubbing.

I know it could use a slight drop, but that will have to wait a while. Next up is a new clutch/flywheel.

Last edited by bdavids1; 06-10-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:57 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Lookin nice! The fitment is quite nice--flush!

Get yourself some springs or coilovers and roll them fenders
Old 06-10-2007, 10:17 PM
woof*

awesome!
(looks alot like mine )
Old 06-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

looks great , nice choice of rims too
Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
bdavids1

I just got a package. New brake pads (Hawk HPS) and Rays lug nuts. They're Rays long black. Wow, these things are light! They feel like they're made out of plastic.

I'll take pictures this weekend when I change the brake pads, and put the Rays lugs on. I'll snap a few more of the wheels with the cheapo open end lugs too, for comparison.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:15 PM
dome P 2

Default will these work with TE37s ??

Originally Posted by UrbanTacticZ
Winner! Best lugs out there IMO. At the end of the day, if someone wants to steal your wheels, no locks or lugs can stop them. Don't waste too much money on the fancy brand name ones. Mcgard is used on OEM applications as well, can't really go wrong

I want to replace my rays alloy lugs with something a little more durable... anyone know if these mcgrad splined lugs fit the TE37 wheels?

thanx

d
Old 06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
synth19

Yes, they will fit.

Originally Posted by dome P 2
I want to replace my rays alloy lugs with something a little more durable... anyone know if these mcgrad splined lugs fit the TE37 wheels?

thanx

d