eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Volks and call it a day!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:59 PM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by QdotJ
You guys are a great help and terrific resource!!

This was my initial thought, but while I was getting the BBK done I noticed that the red Rays lugs actually look pink in person. I believe this is due to the anodization.(sp?)

The more I look at the Neo-Chro's the less I like them, something about Open-ended lugs doesn't sit well me.

I checked the Gold Wheels section of the board and ran across this post and I really liked the way the blue lugs (yes blue) looked against the gold wheels.

Saturday I met-up with Najnahto, a cool board member, and picked up his set of Blue Work lugs with locks for a steal. They are going on today, I'll post pics when I'm done.

Thanks again guys...
As promised here is my choice, a set of Blue Work Tuner lugs...

The Inspiration.....

The Result....

I think they give my Z a JDM look, or at least something close to it.
Before

After

I'm happy with them, but one of the rear studs on the driver's side kicked my A$$, I need to replace the stud soon, almost half of it is still in the factory lug. Luckily there was enough of the stud left to install a lug on it. The other four are torqued to 93lbs, so I should be fine until I can get that stud replaced....

I noticed that the studs on the front didn't offer much room either. I might get some extended studs installed later on.

Thanks everyone for their input. I'll keep these for a while until I truly make up my mind on the Neo-Chro's... It's still a love/ hate relationship I have with them...

Last edited by QdotJ; 08-06-2007 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Volk350Z
Master

I would of got some Red Lugs to match the brakes...

or if you want blue for you Volk Racing GTS i would of at least get Rays lugs lol..
Old 08-06-2007, 05:30 AM
QdotJ

^^ I understand where you're coming from, but the red looked too pink to me ( I feel like I'm repeating myself). At the price I got these lugs if I choose to change them either today or next year, it would not have been a huge loss.

Imagine dropping $100+ on a cosmetic enhancement that you're not satisfied with? I know it happens all the time, but I'm not going to fall victim to that like others have.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Volk350Z
Master

Originally Posted by QdotJ
^^ I understand where you're coming from, but the red looked too pink to me ( I feel like I'm repeating myself). At the price I got these lugs if I choose to change them either today or next year, it would not have been a huge loss.

Imagine dropping $100+ on a cosmetic enhancement that you're not satisfied with? I know it happens all the time, but I'm not going to fall victim to that like others have.
well it doesn't matter cause all Japanese Lugs are made by the same company anyway lol...
Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 AM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by Volk350Z
well it doesn't matter cause all Japanese Lugs are made by the same company anyway lol...
Oh now you tell me... LOL So technically I DID get a set of Rays'.... LOL

True enough during my visits at Status I thumbed through a few catalogs and noticed that Rays, for instance, was the mother-company for many name-brand wheels; Volks, Gram Lights (I think), Nismo etc.....

I guess the same goes with Lugs...

Here's quick visual comparison of the chrome stock lugs and the Work Racing Lugs

Last edited by QdotJ; 08-07-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:04 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
black McGard Spline drive with lock is what I'd go with - frankly wouldn't waste my time on anything else (personally) - they even do the lock in black too

closed end (no rust), steel threads (wont strip like all the alunimum ones eventually will), and the color will not fade like the all the duralumin based lugs eventually will

we dont sell em, but you can contact them directly:

http://www.mcgard.com/contact/
Not very often a vendor recommends a product he doesn't sell. I think I'll check these out.

Thanks, Adam.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:11 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get R40 Neochro Project Kics...

I hear they are backordered until November...
Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I would be very unhappy if I paid $240 for a set of R40's and they stripped.

Why do they strip anyway? Are the OEM lugs too short?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by __jb

Exactly what keeps me clear of them. Not to mention they or open ended. I understand this is to lessen the chance of the coating being scratched off by using a torx socket instead of a standard one. (I could be wrong)

I don't track my car or feel the need to change them so the chance of the lugs stripping would be slim to none for me at least.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by __jb

Simple - OEM studs are steel, and many of the lugs are aluminum. If they were really a quality piece, it would have a steel insert for the threads. But, that costs more, and weighs more, and sorta ruins the marketing "schtick" as to why lightweight lugs exist in the first place. Sure, it saves weight (we're talking grams, certainly nothing anyone would ever ever notice or feel), but at the expense of longevity. I went down this road on my own car, trying to stick it out with the fancy JDM lugs. Problem is, if you lose one, or lose a key, ir strip one, you have to buy a complete new set since they are not sold individually....that gets pricey. Then, cmobine that with the fact that aluminum being threaded onto steel does not really work all that well, and you end up with damaged lugs, and/or damaged studs. I got to the point where I had bought the original set of lugs (~$120), a spare set (since I had once misplaced the key and two, had damaged lugs due to on and off) - another $120, and was on 5 replaced studs (they don't cost alot but its not a fun thing to have to do on your day off). Eventually, I replaced the damaged studs, through my fancy JDM lugs in the trash, and went to tried and true Spline Drives. I personally use the Gorilla ones, since there is a local warehouse distributor for them, so we buy 'em in bulk and we always have them here. The McGard ones, IMHO, are even nicer, as the "head" if you will (the part that sits against the wheel) actually rotates, which means no damage to the wheels even if you, or a shop, uses air tools to take them off. Plus, the color never ever ever fades, unlike the duralumin ones (my black lugs eventually turned a nasty shade of BBQ black with some light grey spotting...and I use nothing more than plain old car wash soap and water to wash the wheels with). Lived and learned

I do think the duralumin based ones are nice for show use, just based on my own personal experiences, I don't feel they are worth the price of admission, nor the compromises mentioned above.

There also are titanium lugs (even more $$) - I have not yet tried them so no idea how they are from a longevity standpoint
Old 08-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Takhteh

McGard Spline Drive lugs. Get them from EBAY. Blk would look good here, IMO.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Volk350Z
Master

Kics R40 only use aluminum on the taper the body is made of Cold-Forged SCM-435 material. I havn't have any stripping problem even with all my wheel change...
Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Volk350Z
Kics R40 only use aluminum on the taper the body is made of Cold-Forged SCM-435 material. I havn't have any stripping problem even with all my wheel change...
exactly..has not stripped because SCM435 is chromoly steel

A steel based lug should never strip, unless you cross thread it. An aluminum based lug is almost guaranteed to strip
Old 09-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

I've got a set of the R40 extended, open ended Neo Chro for my G. Since I installed them, and torqued them to 85 ft-lbs, I have some vibration at high speeds (>65 mph) I torqued them to 90 ft-lbs, and the vibration moved to a higher speed (>75 mph)

Am I missing something here, should I be torquing them to a higher setting, or should I go back to the Gorilla spline drive lugs I have?

Edit: Forgot to mention these are not on stock wheels, they are on my Racing Hart RS-721's
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Anyone?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I've never heard of lug nut tightening torque affecting wheel vibration.

On second thought... maybe the lug nuts are cross threaded and not tightening up the wheels as much as normal when you torque them down. Try loosening the lug nuts and see if any are tight to turn.

Maybe a centering hub is not on straight or something. I'd jack up the car and spin the wheels to see if they are straight... or just remove the wheels and look for issues.