Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Why Te37??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:44 PM
synth19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Te37??

Obviously these are great lightwt, strong wheels.....but why does everyone and their moms have the TE37 ????? I'm relatively new to this forum, and I'm just shocked that everyone is buying these! This is the first forum I've been on where there are so many of these wheels on the same car! I'm not hating on these at all. I'm curious as to why not any other options? I would think ppl would go for something with comperable specs, or looking for originality.

thanks
Old 05-21-2003, 02:03 PM
rouxeny

I wonder the same thing. I hope to be getting a set sometime in the future, and I am also surprised how popular they are.

Personally, I've liked the look since I first saw them, then there's the fact that they're Volk's.

I think that a lot of it is due to people having posted pics of TE-37's early on, then seeing pics of them on various Japanese tuner Z's (and other cars). Since then, it's been like a building wave. They're so popular, they must be good right?
Old 05-21-2003, 02:04 PM
MATIX

Default Re: Why Te37??

TE's IMO are the best rims out there for hte Z, thats hte reason alot of people have them...I had GT-C's and sold htem to get the TE's because of the weight...I'd rather have the best rims for my car than be "original" and have some heavy rims that hinder my cars performance.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:08 PM
shaneotool

There are not very many wheels to choose from that fit as good as the TE-37. There's not a whole lot in 19" and if they are in 19" the offsets are not as good as the te-37's.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:12 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my choice was simple, I wanted volk/rays because thats what is on the track, I dont like the track rims, but I like having the same manufacturer.

after that, Im into 5 or 6 spoke designs. leaving me a few choices, I dont like the multispoke designs, just not my taste. of the 2 that I was left with(I dont even know the name of the other set, it was the 5spoke model) I like the TE37s better. they are very rare rims, unless of course you only look at 350Z, Id bet 90% of te37s at this point are either on a supra or a 350Z.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:02 PM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

just curious, not many people got the Nismo LMGT4, i acutally like them better than the te37. whats the weight difference between the 2? anyone knows?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:10 PM
MATIX

Originally posted by mysteriumZ
just curious, not many people got the Nismo LMGT4, i acutally like them better than the te37. whats the weight difference between the 2? anyone knows?
Theyre both one piece forged rims made by RAY'S engineering, so they probably weigh the same, I think people dont get those more because they dont come in 19".
Old 05-21-2003, 05:12 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default love at first sight....

I was originally planning to get the NISMO LMGT4.... -- but after seeing the 19" TE37's on the Z... I changed partners.

Some cars look great with 6 spokes.. and the Z33 is one of them

Also... I see a lot of new Z's running around here in Japan -- but have only seen one with the TE37's... PPW with bronze - and it looked great.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:01 PM
toykilla

isnt an 18" lighter than a 19" ??

seems that would be the way to go if performance is first in mind.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:18 AM
MATIX

Originally posted by toykilla
isnt an 18" lighter than a 19" ??

seems that would be the way to go if performance is first in mind.
If I wanted strictly performance, I'd go with 17", but I want looks and performance, henceforth the 19"s....anyways, the weight diff between the 18" and 19" is only about a pound and a half.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:28 AM
synth19

I cant comment on the specific wt because I dont know that offhand, but even if the wt of the 19" wheels is only 1 1/2lbs more, you still need to consider the rotation intertia... it will make a difference on the peerformance

Originally posted by MATIX
...anyways, the weight diff between the 18" and 19" is only about a pound and a half.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:40 AM
350z4steve

Originally posted by synth19
I cant comment on the specific wt because I dont know that offhand, but even if the wt of the 19" wheels is only 1 1/2lbs more, you still need to consider the rotation intertia... it will make a difference on the peerformance
agreed..true 19s look better but lets face it you dont see many running them at the track for that very reason ..there is a point of diminishing returns with wheel sizes as the go up and rotational mass is a hard one to ignore expecially when one is trying to optimise perfromance and good looks.. 18's are a good all around size.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:08 PM
synth19

Thanks for replying, alot of people dont really understand that concept, and only go by the wt of the wheel/tire combo.

Originally posted by 350z4steve
agreed..true 19s look better but lets face it you dont see many running them at the track for that very reason ..there is a point of diminishing returns with wheel sizes as the go up and rotational mass is a hard one to ignore expecially when one is trying to optimise perfromance and good looks.. 18's are a good all around size.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:47 PM
orhanz33

how much performance will be lost if the rims were an inch bigger? (considering they are the same weight)...

18" lm-gt4's are like 18 lbs (pretty sure)
19" te-37's are like 20-1 lbs
(feel free to correct me)
Old 05-22-2003, 03:00 PM
ares
Veteran

so little you most likely cant tell.

of course the 19s are gonna cost more too.

ussually price is the great equalizer as well. if your gonna spend 2500 on rims, you could possibly find a lighter set of 18s to compare and thus increase the gap, or you could only spend 2000 on the 19s, and theyd be heavier.

but ok, ignore that, you will spend more on 19s. the mass is moved an additional .5" frim the center. thats the lip, roughly 40%? of the total weight of a rim? I would bet thats not far off. trade off is that in a 19" rim you have .5" of less sidewall. so lighter tires? but lip is a large percentage of weight, sidwall is not.

anyway, thats useless jargon. put em both on a dyno, if you can see a different, mad props to you.

the bigger gains will not come in the form of hp, sidewall is considered a good thing in racing(to an extent, depending on purpose). you dont want 13" rims and 5" of sidewall, not the idea. but then again you dont want .5" of sidewall either.

also gives a smoother ride, with more sidewall.

here is the one thing that is for SURE, a smaller rim offers better performance, and a smoother ride, assuming same size overall tire diameter. I dont think anyone will argue that... the arguement comes on whether this benifit from 18 to 19 is even noticable. all areas considered, probably(biggest area being ride comfort), but to most, this small benifit does not outweight the asthetic benifit of 19" rims vs 18".
Old 05-22-2003, 04:35 PM
HXS

Talking

Why Te37??
cuz they're the shizzle...
Old 05-22-2003, 05:41 PM
little_rod

Huh, well, I have looked at the rims, and I do like the ones that come in silver. I don't like the ones that are bronze and such, but that is just me. Really, I love that they are lightweight, and that is the only reason I would consider them. Cause when you go by looks, they are really plain to me. Can't see myself spending that much money on such plain rims, but to each is own.

I know they are the lightest out there, and are really nice, but stylewise, they are lacking, IMO. And I am not alone in this, I was comparing rims, and noone that I showed them to liked them.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:14 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I know I am in the minority here for sure but I still do not think 19 wheels look better than 18. Funny, some of you have made a comment that i should lower mine because it has 18's, guess what, the outside diameter is equal to your guys 19's. It is not that i do not like 19's, it is just that i still do not see where they are "so much" better looking. Ok, you can flame me now but I still feel that 18s look as good as 19's.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:28 PM
ares
Veteran

Im with ya man, but I think its just you and me back to back in this little group.

I cant even tell the 1" difference. besides, 19" rims make my tiny rear brakes look even more pathetic.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:03 AM
themyst

I asked myself that very same question... why TE37s? Well, #1 they may seem "common" because it is a generally popular wheel on these boards, but in NYC? I don't think i've seen a single person on the street with them... especially in Mercury Silver. #2 They are lightweight wheels that are very strong, look clean and understated without screaming riceboy to the masses. So for many people, these rims are the practical and ideal choice. Better than trying to be "different" but ending up ugly in the process. On the other hand... I was pining for some 19" GT3s in Satin... but to go 19" and drop the car on NYC roads... Couldn't drive around on 35 profile tires... one bad bump and adios to either the rim or tire.

Quick Reply: Why Te37??