Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

iforged wheels, finally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 06:38 PM
mucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZZtopp,
The qulity issue isn't much of an issue considering the price. If it were HRE wheels that would be a different. Very minor flaws, although I thought it funny that my wife noticed up close while waxing the wheels. Also, not all 4 have flaws just 2 and one of those has just a couple of light color fibers under the clearcoat. I can and will live with the flaws. What gives me the red *** was Vince's customer service.
Matt
Old 05-25-2003, 06:40 PM
mucky

ZZtopp,
My wheels are 18x9 front and 18x10 back. If you can wait 6-8 weeks I say go for it. Worst case is you send them back or cancel your order. Hope neither happen for you,
Matt
Old 05-25-2003, 06:55 PM
ZZtopp

Thanks for the info and help.

I e-mailed Vince and asked him to contact me by the close of business on Tuesday. If he can guarantee me delivery within the time frame he promised, and address the quality and hub ring issues to my satisfaction, then I'll take your advice and go for it. If he does not have the business acumen to contact me by then, based on the things that have been said about him here, I will cancel.

I can get a set of silver Volk TE-37's right away, and although more common and less exciting wheels (to me, anyway), I know they will be flawless, weigh less, and are probably the better wheel no matter what.

There is no reason for me to spend over $2200 with iForged and be unsatisifed with either the service or quality. $2200 is a lot of money, and even if the HRE's and Volks cost more, the iForged wheels are not a better value if the wheels and service are not as good.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:55 PM
2003z

I am currently not using hubcentric ring spacers, but want to. What are the required specs?
Old 05-25-2003, 07:45 PM
damen

save the comments on the quality until you get them. don't say you regret and you haven't seen your wheels yet. as far as minor imperfections, you'll see that with any wheel you buy and they will only be noticable to you and you only unless you show others. because your going to look at your wheels with a fine tooth comb and no one else will.

if you give me a set of HRE's i promise you i'll find something minor wrong.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:06 PM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mucky... knowing the wait you went through, let me say that your wheels look fantastic! ... and you have justified my decision to stay with 18's. I know many here will disagree with me, but I think with the exception of jrreed's SSR GT3s, every 19" wheel I have seen looks too big on the Z. The 18"s are just right.

Regardless, it's pictures like yours (and RodH's... and damen's, etc.) that made me decide to hang out and give the iForged folks a little more time because I know I will be happy with them when they get here.

damen... you are so right. In the bigger scheme of things, the wait for the wheels is really not that big a deal. Like Mucky, though, I would have preferred to have been told up front the wheels would take 10 weeks or 12 weeks or whatever. There's no good business reason to string along customers... especially if you're a company like iForged who is trying to make a name for themselves in an already crowded market.

I just hope that Vince and the rest at iForged are listening. Maybe they'll take some of this criticism to heart and work to improve the customer experience.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:17 PM
mucky

2003z,
I believe the spacers were 73mm-66mm, that being the wheel is 73mm and our hubs are 63. Seemed to be a fairly comon size since discount tire had them.

mcduck,
thanks, and I agree with you about the 19's. I always thought they looked too big, but to each his own.

Matt
Old 05-25-2003, 08:17 PM
damen

Originally posted by mcduck
Like Mucky, though, I would have preferred to have been told up front the wheels would take 10 weeks or 12 weeks or whatever. There's no good business reason to string along customers... especially if you're a company like iForged who is trying to make a name for themselves in an already crowded market.
that part i totally agree with and hopefully they will make a note of and it and work on it.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:21 PM
mucky

Originally posted by mcduck
Like Mucky, though, I would have preferred to have been told up front the wheels would take 10 weeks or 12 weeks or whatever. There's no good business reason to string along customers... especially if you're a company like iForged who is trying to make a name for themselves in an already crowded market.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that part i totally agree with and hopefully they will make a note of and it and work on it

I doubt it. I seem to recall someone telling Vince they were going to cancel their order and Vince seem to get very upset and hangup the phone on this person. This just solidifies his type of customer service.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:34 PM
damen

Originally posted by mucky
I doubt it. I seem to recall someone telling Vince they were going to cancel their order and Vince seem to get very upset and hangup the phone on this person. This just solidifies his type of customer service.
and i recall vince coming on the board and saying that he never hung up on the person. his phone may have lost signal or ran out of batt.

no need to start bashing here. it's been done over and over in the past. just go back and read old topics and you'll see that everyone is getting tired of that.

let's keep it peaceful and help everyone out.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:38 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by damen
save the comments on the quality until you get them. don't say you regret and you haven't seen your wheels yet. as far as minor imperfections, you'll see that with any wheel you buy and they will only be noticable to you and you only unless you show others. because your going to look at your wheels with a fine tooth comb and no one else will.

if you give me a set of HRE's i promise you i'll find something minor wrong.
My comments about quality are based on not only those I've read on this site, but on others as well.

I don't expect absolute perfection, but I do expect to NOT find the flaws I've read about....dents, dings, peeling clearcoat..etc. I examined the track wheels on my Z....they are flawless. I examined the wheels on my wife's Audi A-6.....they are flawless....and neither of these wheels cost as much as the iForged wheels do.

You're right.....I will examine them with a fine tooth comb. Hell, if I spend $2200 for them, I have a right to. And they better be at least as good as the damn factory wheels.

Sorry, but I'm not one to settle for incompetence just because others can't see it unless I point it out.

I don't have my iForged wheels yet, and depending on what Vince has to say to me, I may cancel and not have to worry about it. All my apprehension is based on what people have said, and I tend to think that all the people who have posted negative things can't ALL be wrong. I have done more research and found many more negative things about iForged since I ordered...am I not entitled to regret my decision because of this?

Regardless, I will remain open minded until I hear from them. I would like nothing better than to be able to post that the service and wheels from iForged both turned out to be great.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:54 PM
ZZtopp

and i recall vince coming on the board and saying that he never hung up on the person. his phone may have lost signal or ran out of batt.

no need to start bashing here. it's been done over and over in the past. just go back and read old topics and you'll see that everyone is getting tired of that.

let's keep it peaceful and help everyone out.
Here's one more example of why I've become apprehensive.....and this is something that happened directly to me...not something I read on this board:

When I finally spoke to Vince last Monday to confirm my order, I mentioned some of the negative things I had read on this site. He told me go back and check the site right away...he said that five more people had received their wheels, and they were raving about iForged. Funny...I couldn't seem to finds those posts........

I've barely started my relationship with iForged...and already something fishy.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:04 PM
damen

Originally posted by ZZtopp
I've barely started my relationship with iForged...and already something fishy.
all i have to say is, "if you smell something fishy then by all means cancel your order." i wouldn't want you to get service or a product that your not happy with.

i do hope that you are happy with your wheels and can post good things about iForged.

all i know is that i'm happy as hell that iForged did a group buy because there is no way i was ready to pay over $5500 in wheels and tires to be custom made for my car.

me personally i think, overall you'll be happy with you finish product. most of us here are. cust. serv. on the other hand is something altogether different.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:26 PM
ZZtopp

all i have to say is, "if you smell something fishy then by all means cancel your order." i wouldn't want you to get service or a product that your not happy with.

i do hope that you are happy with your wheels and can post good things about iForged.

all i know is that i'm happy as hell that iForged did a group buy because there is no way i was ready to pay over $5500 in wheels and tires to be custom made for my car.

me personally i think, overall you'll be happy with you finish product. most of us here are. cust. serv. on the other hand is something altogether different.

The thing is, I've never read anywhere that someone did NOT eventually get their wheels, or that the wheels were out of round, or that they fell apart, etc. Also, most people will report negative experiences, but rarely report positive ones.

Your points above are well-taken, and that is why I'm willing to give them a chance to earn my business, inspite of what I've read. I too would never spend over $5000 for wheels for a $35,000 car. The iForged wheels give me the look I want without having to do so....I'm merely trying to head off any service and quality issues before they happen.

I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, which sometimes has come back to bite me. If I do so this time, I hope that doesn't happen......and if my wheels turn out ot be as beautiful as those on your G35, I'll be happy.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:33 PM
damen

i totally feel you there. i heard bad things about them as well after i had placed my order and i still gave them the benefit of the doubt. it didn't come back to bit me and i don't think it will come back to bite you.

i would love to see them when they come. later.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:42 PM
ZZtopp

I guess Vince is up late tonight checking the board...he just sent me an e-mail with this link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...=567332&page=1

To his credit, he responded to my e-mail and assured me the wheels would be delivered within the time frame he promised.

He also made the point that the HRE and iForged wheels are clearcoated at the same place.

I respect his quick reply to my concerns and I'll discuss things further with him on Tuesday.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:25 AM
snook789

mucky sorry to hear that poor customer service helped ruin this day for you.
They day you share your new wheels with your fellow Z peeps

So lets turn this around for ya

Your wheels look great!!!! Nice choice.
Going to get alot of compliments on those wheels for sure!

Enjoy!
Old 05-26-2003, 04:43 AM
rouxeny

I dunno, I wouldn't spend $2000+ for wheels that weren't essentially perfect. You can get a set of 18" TE-37's for just about that price, and nobody has made any complaints about the quality. Not even little complaints.

$2000 is $2000, just because it's not $5000 doesn't mean that I shouldn't expect excellent quality.

I have no involvement nor interest in iForged wheels, but I wonder why people would risk buying wheels from somebody with such a history of poor public relations. If such things were said about Monkey Man, or Street Sports, or any of the other private wheel dealers, I would think that nobody would buy anything from them. $2000 is a lot of money to risk if you're not going to be absolutely satisfied.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:25 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HRE is a absolutely fantastic tire, unmatched quality I would hope, but I dont think any rim is worth the money they charge, if I had the money, I might buy it, but I would expect 110% customer satisfaction and perfect rims.

however that doesnt change the fact that you CAN make a very good set of rims, with perfect quality for less than 4000$.

I paid 2000$, I recieved a 100% FLAWLESS set of rims. for 2000$ I would have accepted nothing less. I dont care if its a ding on the inside of a spoke that no one could see short of removing the tire and pulling out a magnifying glass. 2000$ for forged rims buys me perfection.

its not a deal if its not equal quality.

there certainly seems to be stories about Iforged, I have not yet heard a "good" feedback, Ive only heard of people that are willing to overlook the problems for the deal. thats fine, but that doesnt change the fact that the problems were there.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:24 PM
J Ritt

Question

Did you guys research IForged before you ordered? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk...but there were numerous posts (my feedback included) on this and other boards that showed quite a bit of skepticism and animosity towards Vince and IForged's business practices. I think waiting 5 months for a domestic manufacturer is insane. I also think empty promises should not be tolerated, and that $2000 wheels should be of perfect quality.

I considered ordering from IForged...after reading the negativity about them all over the internet, I changed my mind. I ended up ordering a set of wheels from Rays Engineering (makers of Volk), and just got them on Friday. It took 3 months from the time I ordered them. They were custom offsets, and the quality was absolute perfection...the welds, the paint, the clearcoat...and they were under $2000.

I hope others read these posts and decide not to order. There are plenty of good wheel manufacturers and vendors out there. Seeing people get the run-around, bad service, and quality makes me mad. It's not that rare to see a bad post about a vendor. When they start popping up all over the place from lots of unrelated poeple, it's clear that there is an issue. Good luck guys...I hope it works out for you. I will be posting about my new wheels this week. If you want a good vendor who won't mess with you and give you the run-around, let me know. I really hope all of this gets resolved satisfactorily.

Quick Reply: iforged wheels, finally!