Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

iforged wheels, finally!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 03:41 PM
mucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iforged wheels, finally!

Well after almost 5 months I finally got my wheels. They look awesome, but could be better. I guess for half the price of HRE's they are pretty good. I noticed that one of my rear wheels had a ding on the inside edge and the tire shop said no big deal. I noticed little fibers and flaws in the clearcoat, nothing real bad ,but not perfect. Also, I needed a hub spacer for the wheels to fit properly. I called Vince from Discount tire to see if he could send me a spacer and he was certain I didn't need one. He was absolutly wrong! Lucky for me discount tire had a set that fit. Iguess it's a standard size(73 to 66mm) I think. Anyway, I love the look of the wheels on the car and will try to post pics. If I had it to do all over again, I would never buy from iforged. All the waiting and runaround I wouldn't want to deal with again. I thought Vince knew his stuff, but after his comment about the hub spacer, I tend to wonder.
Hope all you other guys got yours,
Matt
Old 05-24-2003, 04:27 PM
ZZtopp

I placed an order for some 2 piece Aeros last week....your post does not encourage me. Vince told me it would take about six weeks, and that the fact that I ordered a silver painted center instead of something brushed or polished would make the process quicker.

What wheels and finish did you order? What reason could they have given you that could justify it taking FIVE months?? Why the need for a spacer? Was this a hubcentric ring or did iForged just give you the wrong back space?

The more I think about my decision to go with iForged instead of Volks, the more I think I might have made a mistake. This latest info that the quality was just average may force me to cancel my order.

I'd love to see some pictures.

Last edited by ZZtopp; 05-24-2003 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:56 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not for anything, but I needed a spacer for my volks... I assume there is not like another size volk that would not require it... but I dont know that for sure.

it was included in the package, along with lugnuts to fit the smaller holes.

only thing NOT included was a damn tire jack to fit the new lug nuts... had to go buy one from pepboys, but I guess that cant be expected, but something for everyone to keep in mind, those with volks that had a shop put their tires on, if you get a flat, might be in for a rude suprise when you realize you cant take the tire off.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:03 PM
RacerX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mucky & Ares,

Do you mean hub centric rings when you say spacers? It's pretty normal for wheel manufacturers' to include hub centric rings to fit your vehicle. If you actually are talking about wheels spacers I would be surprised. One reason I am leaning towards Volks are because they come in the correct offsets and don't need spacers.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:04 AM
mucky

I meant hub centric rings and no the wheels did not come with them and yes Vince said I DIDN'T need them. The wheels are above average, just not perfect and I think the still look awesome. If I were to buy HRE wheels and they came out like mine I would be dissapointed for a $1000 per wheel. The wheels I got were FS-6 with the brushed finish. I think one reason it took longer to get my wheels was the fact that I was in on the first group buy and I know they were offering a second one. It certainly should not have been as long as it was though. Today I am going to try to Crystal Guard my car and will pos pics if I get a chance tonight. I would like to here from the other people that were wating as long as I, to know if they recieved there wheels and what they thought of the quality.
Matt
Old 05-25-2003, 06:19 AM
mcduck

I would like to here from the other people that were wating as long as I, to know if they recieved there wheels and what they thought of
I'll let everyone here know what I think when mine arrive. I've been waiting almost four months. I was ready to cancel the order when Vince called me, unsolicited, to tell me the wheels were on the way back from clearcoating and that they would need a week to finish them and ship them out.

I received an email last Tuesday saying they had got them back, so I am expecting them to be on the way this Tuesday or Wednesday.

I am not very happy with the turnaround or the order process in general, but will reserve my full review until I have the wheels in my grubby little hands... which better be within the next two weeks.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:12 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hubcentric, spacer? no idea, little ring that went inside the big hole to make it fit onto the hub properly.
Old 05-25-2003, 02:29 PM
Fall-Line

Exclamation What?

Guys,

What were the reasons that Vince gave you for such a delay?

Christ, I would have been on a plane already to pay IForged a visit If I were either of you....Your wait is beyond what I certaily would have tolerated.

Where you mislead or strung along?

I ordered wheels in the SECOND groupbuy. Vince told me my wheels would be ready to go out by next Thursday. DId he make such promises to you guys all this while?

Fall-Line
Old 05-25-2003, 05:19 PM
mcduck

Fall-Line...

To answer your question... yes. Vince seems pretty cool on the phone, but don't expect your wheels to be on the way until you have a tracking number that you can verify. They don't seem to be very good at estimating completion times.

I know several people on this board were repeatedly over several weeks that their tires would ship "next week".

In my case, I specifically and clearly wrote on my order sheet not to ship my wheels until March 10th (a good 6 weeks after I placed my order). Somehow, that got interpreted as don't start construction until March 10th. Needless to say I wasn't happy, but mistakes do happen. We are now beyond 9 weeks since work began on my wheels.

I was ready to cancel my order when Vince, of his own accord, contacted me to give me an update. Since he said the wheels were soon to be finished (and because I was offered a concession for the long delay), I decided I would be cool and grant them a little more time... though, I'm not happy with the delay, by most accounts it sounds like they are worth the wait.

As it stands, I expect to have my wheels shipped this week and have them by the end of the next week. If not, at that point, I will be cancelling my order.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:45 PM
rouxeny

I don't know a lot about wheels, or specifically how they're manufactured, but 9+ weeks to make a set of wheels? I hope they're made by hand!

It doesn't take 9 weeks to make a car, it shouldn't even take 9 days to make some wheels.

Is there any explanation as to the time required? I mean, they're machine cut, then machine polished I would figure.

The only way I would think it would take that long would be if you had to mine the ore and smelt it yourself.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:58 PM
damen

i have one question for you guys. would you rather pay full price and have your wheels in the 6 weeks expected? not saying vince or iForged is right, but when i ordered my wheels, knowing that they aren't as big as HRE and weren't costing as much as HRE i was too upset that i didn't have them in 6 wks. i was getting alittle excited that they weren't here but, these are just wheels. i think some of us make too much of little things in life. guys that have ordered your wheels, if you haven't done so already, go to any wheel or tire shop and buy some hub rings. mine only cost $2.50. some of you that say the wheels aren't perfect or to your liking, i would say call vince and let him know that. either way i guarantee the compliments will have you changing your mind. because i know that you wouldn't want to send them back for small imperfections. i didn't. i know the wheels will get road damage so it's no big deal to me on the little imperfections.

for those of you that want absolutely perfect wheels go and order from HRE. not meaning to step on anyones feet but, i get alittle tired of reading the same ole thing over and over and over.

good luck guys with your orders. i'll bet 95% of you guys will be happy with your wheels either way. (taking longer than normal or having minor imperfections)
Old 05-25-2003, 06:01 PM
mucky

Fall-Line,
Yes, Vince strung me along. Initially, I was told about 3-4 weeks. After the 6th week I called on a Monday and Vince said my wheels would ship that Friday. This went on,no joke, for 5 more weeks. About 3 weeks ago I e-mailed them to check the status and was told they were at the clearcoaters. I think it was May 12th I contacted the place my wheels were supposed to be at, wich they were, and tried to get an estimate on their finish date. I was told by that Friday(16th). My wheels shipped the 15th. The guy at the clearcoat place was very helpful and didn't try to give me the runaround. In the beginning, Vince seemed to be an alright guy. Boy was I wrong. The thing taht really pissed me off and why I started this thread was the fact that I didn't need the hubcentric ring and the tone of voice he used. He was clearly wrong! I still love my wheels, but I wouldn't expect your wheels in the time frame Vince quoted you .

Matt
Old 05-25-2003, 06:06 PM
mucky

Damen,
I agree with you about the quality issue and buying HRE wheels. I stated this in my first post. For the price the wheels are very nice and I can live with the small imperfections. I wouldn't have minded wating 5 months if Vince would have been honest and not strung me along. I also had no problem buying the rings from discount tire, but it was the way Vince told me I DID NOT need them.

Matt
Old 05-25-2003, 06:13 PM
mucky

Here are some pics, if this works. This was after an all day Crystal Guard Pro application. I will try to take better pics .
Enjoy,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails iforged wheels, finally!-dscf0025.jpg  
Old 05-25-2003, 06:14 PM
mucky

Another
Attached Thumbnails iforged wheels, finally!-dscf0026.jpg  
Old 05-25-2003, 06:14 PM
mucky

And another
Attached Thumbnails iforged wheels, finally!-dscf0027.jpg  
Old 05-25-2003, 06:15 PM
mucky

And yet another
Attached Thumbnails iforged wheels, finally!-dscf0031.jpg  
Old 05-25-2003, 06:16 PM
mucky

Last one, with the flash
Attached Thumbnails iforged wheels, finally!-dscf0032.jpg  
Old 05-25-2003, 06:30 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by mucky
Fall-Line,
Yes, Vince strung me along. Initially, I was told about 3-4 weeks. After the 6th week I called on a Monday and Vince said my wheels would ship that Friday. This went on,no joke, for 5 more weeks. About 3 weeks ago I e-mailed them to check the status and was told they were at the clearcoaters. I think it was May 12th I contacted the place my wheels were supposed to be at, wich they were, and tried to get an estimate on their finish date. I was told by that Friday(16th). My wheels shipped the 15th. The guy at the clearcoat place was very helpful and didn't try to give me the runaround. In the beginning, Vince seemed to be an alright guy. Boy was I wrong. The thing taht really pissed me off and why I started this thread was the fact that I didn't need the hubcentric ring and the tone of voice he used. He was clearly wrong! I still love my wheels, but I wouldn't expect your wheels in the time frame Vince quoted you .

Matt

It's this kind of business practice that I hate: if you know it's going to be twelve weeks or more, then tell me upfront...don't lie to me and then compound it with more lies to cover your ***. I'm sure some people would not have ordered if they knew it was going to take so long, but that should have been their decision....one based on facts, not lies.

I've been told six weeks, and the only reason I now disbelieve it is because of what I've read on these boards. I was always convinced there was a problem at iForged, but I thought it was more related to service than quality. Now that I'm reading about some possible quality issues, I regret having ordered from them.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:38 PM
ZZtopp

....and then I see some great looking wheels like yours, and it makes the decision to cancel even harder. Are those 18" or 19" wheels?

Quick Reply: iforged wheels, finally!