Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tread Separation on Continental Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 PM
DTenn913

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tread Separation on Continental Tires

Today I was driving home from Lubbock in my 2005 350Z, and my rear, passenger side tire experienced tread separation at 70 mph. The action of the tread coming off the tire broke off about a square foot chunk of my rear bumper, and the steel belting scratched and knicked the paint of my rear quarter panel severely. Anyone have suggestions of what to do about contacting the tire manufacturer about this obviously defective tire? The tire is a Continental TouringContact AS 235/50R-17. I could be mistaken on the exact name of the tire, but I believe that is it. I just hate how this defective tire caused about $2000 or more of damage to my car. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DTenn913; 10-20-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:01 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DTenn913
Today I was driving home from Lubbock in my 2005 350Z, and my rear, passenger side tire experienced tread separation at 70 mph. The action of the tread coming off the tire broke off about a square foot chunk of my rear bumper, and the steel belting scratched and knicked the paint of my rear quarter panel severely. Anyone have suggestions of what to do about contacting the tire manufacturer about this obviously defective tire? The tire is a Continental ContiTouringContact AS 235/50R-17. I could be mistaken on the exact name of the tire, but I believe that is it. I just hate how this defective tire caused about $2000 or more of damage to my car. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Take it to an authorized Continental Dealer and ask them to give you the 1800 number for defective claim. Explain to the store and Continental of the problem and damage that was caused due to the separation. You have to take pictures of the damage done to your car and send them the failed tire for inspection. If you dont have the tire anymore then you are SOL. If you have all the pieces then there will be a case number assigned and Continental will determine if:

A) The failure was caused by a defect and start a claim for you.

B) The damaged tire is free from any mechanical wear ie no alignment, balancing, lack of rotation wear or abuse such as flat spots from hard breaking ..etc..etc. They may want you to show proof of your maintenance record for the tire. If any of the conditions mentioned above are present then you've voided your warranty and the claim is voided.

C) If you've past A and B then they will then determine if the damage to your car was truely caused by the tire. That is determined by having somebody actually inspecting the car.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:49 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread needs some photos.