Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Driving the Z in snow....suggestions for chains??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Jcolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving the Z in snow....suggestions for chains??

We rarely see snow in NC but on those occasions when we do get snow and I have to drive the Z with my summer performance tires, what are my options? I'd like to carry a set of easy to install chains. Does anyone know who makes them???
Old 01-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcolman
We rarely see snow in NC but on those occasions when we do get snow and I have to drive the Z with my summer performance tires, what are my options? I'd like to carry a set of easy to install chains. Does anyone know who makes them???
You must be old like I am. I say this because in the late 1960’s through the 70’s you could outfit your sports car with “chains.” They were not really chains; we called them cables because they were wire cables fitted over the rear drive wheels. I used these on my Porsche 911. But in those days this car had narrow tires (narrow by today’s standards) that sat very inboard, inside the car’s fenders.

There is no good way you can mount chains or effective cables on modern performance cars. These cars (like the Z) have tight/sophisticated suspensions with almost no room for chains or cables. Mounting chains will probably result in fender damage.

--Spike
Old 01-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by Spike100
You must be old like I am. I say this because in the late 1960’s through the 70’s you could outfit your sports car with “chains.” They were not really chains; we called them cables because they were wire cables fitted over the rear drive wheels. I used these on my Porsche 911. But in those days this car had narrow tires (narrow by today’s standards) that sat very inboard, inside the car’s fenders.

There is no good way you can mount chains or effective cables on modern performance cars. These cars (like the Z) have tight/sophisticated suspensions with almost no room for chains or cables. Mounting chains will probably result in fender damage.

--Spike
I guess I am showing my age! I learned to drive in the mid 60's and clearly remember strapping on a set of chains to go skiing before studded snow tires were popular.

Regarding todays cars, I suspected that was the case but I was hoping someone had come up with a solution. Thanks for the answer.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:14 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What does your owners manual say about snow chains?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:41 AM
cwest350

your in NC and worried about snow lol?

come up north, THEN you might have something to worry about.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by cwest350
your in NC and worried about snow lol?

come up north, THEN you might have something to worry about.
That's one of the reasons I live in NC. I grew up in Colorado and got sick and tired of dealing with snow.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by davidv
What does your owners manual say about snow chains?
Never thought to look.

I just checked and it says; "tire chains may be used. Use only SAE Class S chains which are designed for minimum clearance"

Now....I just need to find some.

edit: gotta love the internet. www.tirechains.com has some cable type class S for my 245/45/18 tires. $38.94 w/shipping.

Last edited by Jcolman; 01-04-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Never thought to look.

I just checked and it says; "tire chains may be used. Use only SAE Class S chains which are designed for minimum clearance"

Now....I just need to find some.

edit: gotta love the internet. www.tirechains.com has some cable type class S for my 245/45/18 tires. $38.94 w/shipping.
I never tried the steel cables. In an emergency I think they will be OK.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:25 AM
NickRaine78

Chain it to the garage wall and take the bus!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by NickRaine78
Chain it to the garage wall and take the bus!!!
I wish I could ride the bus to work sometimes. If it snows overnight, I'll take my wife's car but there have been times I've been at work and we'll get a little snow. All it takes in NC is a little snow and people go nuts! I've got a 17 mile commute and the last time we had a 1/2 of ice/snow mix it took me nearly 4 hours to make it home due to all the traffic accidents, cars all over the road, etc. and that was when I was driving a Miata which does a lot better in snow than the Z.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by davidv
I never tried the steel cables. In an emergency I think they will be OK.
My thought is that if I have them....I'll never need them. Just like the emergency generator we bought after the last big storm. We haven't lost power since I bought the damn thing.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:02 AM
NickRaine78

I wish I could ride the bus to work sometimes. If it snows overnight, I'll take my wife's car but there have been times I've been at work and we'll get a little snow. All it takes in NC is a little snow and people go nuts! I've got a 17 mile commute and the last time we had a 1/2 of ice/snow mix it took me nearly 4 hours to make it home due to all the traffic accidents, cars all over the road, etc. and that was when I was driving a Miata which does a lot better in snow than the Z.
I know what you mean, when I lived in SC and NC all it took was an inch or so and the State would shut down! 1 freakin plow in SC when I lived there!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 AM
ZKansasZ

Just replace your summer tires with all season and you will be all set, judging that there is not much of snow in NC!
Trust me, I live in KS, I know, haha
Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by 350z-noob
Just replace your summer tires with all season and you will be all set, judging that there is not much of snow in NC!
Trust me, I live in KS, I know, haha
I'll probably do that when it comes time to replace my current tires. Still, a wide profile tire is going to suck ***** when it comes to driving in the snow.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM
ZKansasZ

I'll probably do that when it comes time to replace my current tires. Still, a wide profile tire is going to suck ***** when it comes to driving in the snow.
how wide is your tire?
I have stock oem specs(225 front and 245 rear) on 4 seasons tires Falken912 and I drove on 3-4 inchese of snow the the last 3-4 weeks now. Tires spinning, a couple time. Fish tail? a couple time. But taking off slowly, turning slowly and driving SLOWLY will get you by
Old 01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Jcolman

how wide is your tire?
I have stock oem specs(225 front and 245 rear) on 4 seasons tires Falken912 and I drove on 3-4 inchese of snow the the last 3-4 weeks now. Tires spinning, a couple time. Fish tail? a couple time. But taking off slowly, turning slowly and driving SLOWLY will get you by
245/45/18 on the rear but they're Michelin Pilot sports with about 1/2 the tread gone. They do well on wet roads and quite well on dry but on snow??!!!!.....I have my doubts.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 AM
ZKansasZ

I have same size since I have an 03 Touring z.
wish you luck, sir ! But beside switching to all season tires, idk what else to tell ya.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Jcolman

I have same size since I have an 03 Touring z.
wish you luck, sir ! But beside switching to all season tires, idk what else to tell ya.
I hope that the chains I just ordered will end up never being used. They'll just stay in the garage or trunk as a pagen offering to the snow gods!!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I hope that the chains I just ordered will end up never being used. They'll just stay in the garage or trunk as a pagen offering to the snow gods!!
If you do ever mount the cables, please post a picture.

Here’s a case where I believe you are required to have tire chains/cables:
If you drive up to Tahoe (CA) for skiing, and the DOT issues a mandatory chain advisory, you cannot drive anywhere if you don’t have chains/cables. I think they allow a 4WD with snow tires all-around; but if you have 2WD, snow tires aren’t enough (you are required to mount cables). I hit this with a rental a couple of years ago, and had to wait until the advisory was removed.

If I’m wrong about this, hopefully someone will post the correct information.

If I’m correct, your link is certainly useful. Heck, for $38+, I think I’ll buy a set and put them in the trunk (just in case).

Thanks to Jcolman for doing the research and finding a solution.

--Spike
Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this driver might have been an NC native:

Quick Reply: Driving the Z in snow....suggestions for chains??