Advan RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ctwentytwo
I thought it was from the major sponsors like how F1 (Vodafone, Oil Company's) or like Nascar with non-car part related major sponsors (Tide, McDonalds, etc.). Again, I must say that I doubt they'd run Rotas even if Rota (not to diss Rota, but it's the only knock off wheel company I can think of) gave it to 'em free... obviously.

Again Andy, I find your input as an insider, very helpful to correct some of the falicies related to the import scene.
F1 cars are factory backed - meaning F1 cars are actually manufactured by car manufacturers. F1 drivers are probably the highest paid athletes in the world and that doesn't include endorsements. I believe Michael Schumacher made more than Tiger Woods in his last year that he raced professionally in F1. F1 is VERY popular all over the world, just not here in the states. Majority of the sponsorship revenue that is generated goes into maintaining the cars as well as paying everyone that is on the payroll of the team and transporting the vehicles through the Formula One program. Usually, car manufacturer's that participate in F1 will have a specific budget amount for the year to build the car itself. Look at Honda, they had ZERO sponsors last year and their cars were painted with blue and green to promote the environment. The F1 circuit is huge and car manufacturer's also use F1 as a tool for marketing campaign's. Look at Mercedes and all the international commercials and ad's they came out with using F1 driver's like Hamilton, Räikkönen, Massa, etc. Car manufacturer's that don't generate enough revenue don't usually have the funding for F1, like NISSAN. Another reason why Toyota and Honda backs 2 teams; one manufacturer specific team and a partnership like Williams and Super Aguri. Do you know that cheapest sponsorship level on an F1 car is a $1 million dollars? At the end of the day, F1 is a sport that gets huge amounts of viewers and fans internationally, it's the ultimate motorsport. F1 or not, D1GP, Formula D, Nascar, etc, all have the same concept in running a professional race team and how they acquire sponsors.

I guess you can say that I am an insider but I'm just a huge Formula One fan and I also have friend's that own and mange professional race teams so I know the ins and outs of the structure. Don't forget that Performance NISSAN once had a professional race team that competed in the Grand Am Cup.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:47 PM
keioffice350z

This has been a great discussion... really, I've been given differing perspectives to my own, perceived and fact.

Smokey really aint a millionaire? With the prices we pay for real deal JDM parts, you'd think he'd be rolling. /sarcasm.

I'd always thought they'd have not F1 type budgets, but enough to choose parts.

Well, you've go to figure, doing business in Japan is VERY pricey. His shop is rather large, with tons of parking space. Must be super exspensive. The amount of marketing Top Secret used to do was quite a bit, (not sure what it is now) He's got a dozen cars either build or in the process of, he travels the world to race, and brings himself, his manager sometimes, his cars, extra parts, etc etc.

Than the lawyer fees and costs for leaving the country when kicked out! (e.g. U.K.)

It's not like one may wait til he's filthy rich to do these things. Smokey's also not that young. I'm sure it's a "do it now while I can" mentality.

Apexi - one would think with the volume they were doing, and events they were sponsoring, they were rolling in it. One quick sue job from OEM businesses over the Power FC and poof! finances gone, and sold to Autobacs corp!

Nah, alot of tuners rely on good discounts, or free parts. It's too much money to build cars from scratch every year otherwise. Even with free parts, it's still too much money. And you know......you CAN'T go to Tokyo Auto Salon with the same car 2+ years in a row......NO WAY. No one would look twice at your booth, let alone talk business with you.

...and, everything else Andy said. *laugh*
Old 01-10-2008, 04:18 PM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
F1 cars are factory backed - meaning F1 cars are actually manufactured by car manufacturers. F1 drivers are probably the highest paid athletes in the world and that doesn't include endorsements. I believe Michael Schumacher made more than Tiger Woods in his last year that he raced professionally in F1. F1 is VERY popular all over the world, just not here in the states. Majority of the sponsorship revenue that is generated goes into maintaining the cars as well as paying everyone that is on the payroll of the team and transporting the vehicles through the Formula One program. Usually, car manufacturer's that participate in F1 will have a specific budget amount for the year to build the car itself. Look at Honda, they had ZERO sponsors last year and their cars were painted with blue and green to promote the environment. The F1 circuit is huge and car manufacturer's also use F1 as a tool for marketing campaign's. Look at Mercedes and all the international commercials and ad's they came out with using F1 driver's like Hamilton, Räikkönen, Massa, etc. Car manufacturer's that don't generate enough revenue don't usually have the funding for F1, like NISSAN. Another reason why Toyota and Honda backs 2 teams; one manufacturer specific team and a partnership like Williams and Super Aguri. Do you know that cheapest sponsorship level on an F1 car is a $1 million dollars? At the end of the day, F1 is a sport that gets huge amounts of viewers and fans internationally, it's the ultimate motorsport. F1 or not, D1GP, Formula D, Nascar, etc, all have the same concept in running a professional race team and how they acquire sponsors.

I guess you can say that I am an insider but I'm just a huge Formula One fan and I also have friend's that own and mange professional race teams so I know the ins and outs of the structure. Don't forget that Performance NISSAN once had a professional race team that competed in the Grand Am Cup.
Yep, Big F1 fan too... although I don't know too much about the dollars and cents side of it. I think Schumacher was the top grossing "athelete" in the world at one time. Funny to think that globally, it crushes Nascar... and that some former F1 drivers are now turning to Nascar. It reminds me of Soccer, how it's not as popular here, but worldwide, it's nuts.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
PurelySwift

Definitely a good discussion going on in this thread. I'm for the Advan designs more than the Rays ones in general myself, but in this market of upsizing I'll be curious to see how they evolve the same way that the TE37 20" is now doing. I know, larger AVS and other Advan series wheels exist now, but the Advan Racing series will have to get larger sometime, and frankly the ultra-thin spokes of the RS lose a little of their... magic for me at 19".

Just to add more fuel to the fire, I'd definately agree that Work and Enkei make some of the best cast wheels in the industry, but let's not forget BBS. BBS does make forged wheels, but their cast wheels are also mind bogglingly strong.

Andy, in your perfect racing world, is it Rays, or BBS FTW?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Get_Zwole

do these wheels come with any type of center caps or do they look better open? ive only seen a select few of them. thanks.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Volk350Z
Master

Reason why alot of company Run Advan wheels is because they have agreement with Advan Tires, if you look at most of the big player in japan if they have Advan tires they have advan wheels. If you see Rays wheels most of them run all type of tires.

Personally I like my rays products.. I also do like Yokohama Wheels but until they finally release their forged wheels I dont think I will be changing brand anytime soon..

Trust me im connected to both company lol
Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
keioffice350z

Well, I think Yokohama ADVAN is the preffered tire for most tuners. Prior to the first US D1, there was a drift team from Japan regularly appearing at events, who were sponsored by Nitto. But if Nitto wasn't there...they were always running ADVAN.

Wish I had the money to run Yokohama....
Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
gsazabi

Some good info exchanged here. Just out of curiousity, does Rays have sponsor deal with Top Secret nowadays? I see all of their cars on Volks ever since last year.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:09 AM
ctwentytwo

Originally Posted by Volk350Z
Reason why alot of company Run Advan wheels is because they have agreement with Advan Tires, if you look at most of the big player in japan if they have Advan tires they have advan wheels. If you see Rays wheels most of them run all type of tires.

Personally I like my rays products.. I also do like Yokohama Wheels but until they finally release their forged wheels I dont think I will be changing brand anytime soon..

Trust me im connected to both company lol
Well, to add more fuel to the long and much debated Cast vs. Forged debate... a thread I read before choosing my wheels (a must read with Adam from Z1's comments on the topic):
https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/156116-ssr-what-2.html

Originally Posted by keioffice350z
Well, I think Yokohama ADVAN is the preffered tire for most tuners. Prior to the first US D1, there was a drift team from Japan regularly appearing at events, who were sponsored by Nitto. But if Nitto wasn't there...they were always running ADVAN.

Wish I had the money to run Yokohama ....
Yokohama's ADVAN line is expensive... just thinking about Neovas give me the chill.

But the newly released S.Drives are very affordable and come in a ton of sizes, more importantly, the 245-285/35-40/18-19 Z sizes. Definitely my next set.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Volk350Z
Master

Well, to add more fuel to the long and much debated Cast vs. Forged debate... a thread I read before choosing my wheels (a must read with Adam from Z1's comments on the topic):

well im not saying Cast Suck.. its just that forged method of making wheels are better.. If not they why do it?

Last edited by Volk350Z; 01-11-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by PurelySwift
Definitely a good discussion going on in this thread. I'm for the Advan designs more than the Rays ones in general myself, but in this market of upsizing I'll be curious to see how they evolve the same way that the TE37 20" is now doing. I know, larger AVS and other Advan series wheels exist now, but the Advan Racing series will have to get larger sometime, and frankly the ultra-thin spokes of the RS lose a little of their... magic for me at 19".

Just to add more fuel to the fire, I'd definately agree that Work and Enkei make some of the best cast wheels in the industry, but let's not forget BBS. BBS does make forged wheels, but their cast wheels are also mind bogglingly strong.

Andy, in your perfect racing world, is it Rays, or BBS FTW?
RAYS all the way. Even Bridgestone couldn't stop giving RAYS praises about the wheels in F1.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
terrorist22

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
RAYS all the way. Even Bridgestone couldn't stop giving RAYS praises about the wheels in F1.
How come I never see RAYS in ALMS, LMS, or the FIA GT? Not a knock on RAYS but even BBS has had trouble making wheels for some teams. Corvette Racing switched from BBS to OZ (they ended up w/ BBS again) because of wheel cracking
Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Volk350Z
Master

Originally Posted by terrorist22
How come I never see RAYS in ALMS, LMS, or the FIA GT? Not a knock on RAYS but even BBS has had trouble making wheels for some teams. Corvette Racing switched from BBS to OZ (they ended up w/ BBS again) because of wheel cracking
Because Rays don't give out free wheels. Most team have a budget so they can't afford to buy wheels.. All Super GT car with rays wheels buy them.. Even Williams F1...

you will start seeing Rays in WTCC Super 2000 next year, WTCC only allow Cast wheels so Rays made a Cast wheels that meet their Maximum weight of 9kg for 17x9.0.

also you still start seeing Rays in LMS when the New GTR start showing up there..

Just keep your eyes open for more to come..
Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought most of the F1 wheels used were made by BBS?

Oh these are sick btw, these are the RE30's they used in the 06' season right?

Last edited by 97supratt; 01-11-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

is there a pik of those on a Z?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:14 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
is there a pik of those on a Z?
That would be one low rider looking Z with the wheels sticking out . lol
Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I thought most of the F1 wheels used were made by BBS?

Oh these are sick btw, these are the RE30's they used in the 06' season right?

BBS, OZ and Enkei.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:03 PM
cbr900son

Just know this about the Quality of Advan... and when really considering Forged vs. Cast (Enkei's M.A.T)... The Option Stream Z that ran in the ’03 Silver State Classic Challenge that flipped 7 times and got mangled over 200 MPH... it was running on ADVAN TCII. Why would they put 2nd rate wheels on that kind of car/race?

Also, the Z's that run in Super Taikyu are mostly on Advan wheels... wheels you buy off the shelf. If you keep your eyes open, you'll notice alot of Time Attack and Tuning Shops use almost exclusively Advan/AVS wheels. Shops like HKS Kansai and Yashio Factory. Enough of my Advan propaganda though...

This is the gunmetal color right?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 PM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by cbr900son
This is the gunmetal color right?
Need your eyes checked? They look like bright chrome to me
RS gunmetal color is VERY dark compared to other GM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

just bought a set in GM for my PPW..ill shoot you some pics when i get them on..

Quick Reply: Advan RS