Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

i-forged interest (anyone)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 01:01 PM
havabooz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i-forged interest (anyone)

well..i interested in buying new wheels..and i know i will get a better price if there is a group buy...is anyone interested in buying i-forged wheels?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:08 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the rims from the 2nd groupbuy havent been shipped yet... he said he would consider another group buy when they were all finished.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:11 PM
havabooz

so do you think if i tried to place an order now i would be paying close to full price?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:33 PM
2003z

he might cut a deal
Old 06-16-2003, 01:41 PM
havabooz

who should i speak to and how do i get in touch with him

plus...wat is the best ( i know there are many opinions) size wheel and tire setup that fill the wheel well nicely and dont suffer any rubbing or anything like that

im interested in 19" fs aeros (??19x9 19X10??) (if i could go wider let me know)

and when i purchase..do i specify offsets (excuse m ignorance but what exactly are offsets..ive been hearing +23 and +24 are the best
Old 06-16-2003, 02:09 PM
ares
Veteran

offsets involve the actual orientation of the wheel from the hub, like the lower the number the farther out the rim will sit, high numbers will tuck the rim into the well. most want it flush with the body without rubbing, so low 20s seem to put it about there.

10s would probably be safe, it depends on offset and width, you only have so much room between brakes and the body, ect, it all comes together to a combo that works. best bet is to find someone who has a tire setup that you like, doesnt have to be iforged, just find a set that you like the size and orientation of, and get iforged in similiar setup.

these are mine in a 9.5 wide and 35 offset,
Attached Thumbnails i-forged interest (anyone)-im001146.jpg  
Old 06-16-2003, 02:40 PM
vics350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would talk to Vince at iForged. My wheels were ordered at the end of April in the 2nd Groupbuy and Vince called me Friday to let me know they would be shipping that day so I can't complain about the manufacturing time because I was expecting it to take longer than 7 weeks.

I ordered the 19" RS Aeros in brushed aluminum with +18mm front offset and +29mm rear offset.

If I can find the tires in time I will have mine installed by the July 12th meet we will have in CT. Maybe you can come up to our meet and see them firsthand. Their will be lots of cars with wheel upgrades and you can check them all out there.

Below is the link to the thread of everyone coming:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=29853

Below is the link to the flyer with all the details:
http://www.molaver.org/photos/350z/2003ctmeet.jpg

There is a caravan also coming up from NY that will meet at Fort Totten in Queens at 7:15 AM that day. There are at least 8 cars coming up as of this time and I'm sure more will sign up before the 12th.

Let me know if you can make it and I will add you to the list.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:49 PM
srobert910

If you want to order some Iforged wheels, the person you need to talk to is Vince Wong. His email address is vwong@iforged.com. From what i understand the rest of the 2nd group buy wheels will have shipped by this week. I think he would consider doing a 3rd group buy, but quite a few people have been making negative comments about him on this board. I think the customer service issues aren't as much of a problem. Vince is very good about responding to e-mails and phone calls with me. I don't think that you can buy a nicer wheel for the money. I was looking at HRE's before i joined the group buy. Even with the HRE groupbuy going on, it would have cost me way more, and honestly I would rather have the Aero style then the 445 or 545 style anyways. Good luck with whatever wheels you go with.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:41 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by srobert910
I think he would consider doing a 3rd group buy, but quite a few people have been making negative comments about him on this board.
People don't make negative commments for no reason. From my own personal experience, I would say they were probably justified.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:20 PM
ares
Veteran

yeah even 2003Z who was happy had to put spacers in cause the rims rubbed his brakes. I think alot of the negative things are being forgotten because the rims are sold at the price there sold at.

thing is, HREs are not the typical forged rims and prices shouldnt be compared to them to determine whats cheap or not, rays are actually cheaper than iforged, lighter, and there is no question about there quality. there are other companies like rays too that sell forged rims in the 2000$ range.

all negative comments were justified, and the only response Ive seen was "but they are so much cheaper than HREs" thats great...
Old 06-16-2003, 04:51 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by ares
all negative comments were justified, and the only response Ive seen was "but they are so much cheaper than HREs" thats great...
There are many variables in producing wheels that affect price. The forging processes and alloys can be different, the QC of the welding and finish work, etc. Just because iForged now boasts that they use the same clearcoater as HRE does not mean that the wheels are the same. You can put the same clearcoat on Hyundai and a Mercedes....it doesn't make them the same car.

I've found that you usually get what you pay for, and sometimes, you don't even get that.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:34 PM
havabooz

well now that youve totally scared me away from iforged..can you direct me to a company that has similar looking wheels at simila prices...basically i like the polished wheel with a big lip

any ideas?
Old 06-16-2003, 05:41 PM
ares
Veteran

axis se7en, but they are 1500 EACH, also the se7en mod, which are not forged.

also, from volk
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Volk/volkgtp.htm

from work
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Work/Work_Equip.htm

advan(not much of a lip on these)
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Advan/advanconn.htm

thats just a few options... look around in the wheel forum see all those that people already have gotten, see if any hit you the right way.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:09 PM
rodH

don't underestimate the quality of the steel and process that iForged uses to machine thier wheels, yes they had some clearcoat issues in the past and some PR issues, but the same company makes wheels for other VERY high end wheel companies.

lets not confuse clearcoat and PR issues with the quality of the forged metal and CNC process. It seems to have become popular/cool to rip on iForged around here, perhaps deserved, I don't know, I didn't have any complaints, so I can't say), but lets be careful when just piling on.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:25 PM
little_rod

Well, I do think too many people have jumped on them. They have had these issues in the past, but they seem to be improving by a lot. I ordered with the second group buy, and Vince told me that the rims were shipped last Friday, and gave me the tracking number. My rims are supposed to be here Thursday, and I have had no problem with waiting 7 weeks, cause I needed to get used to driving the car (coming from a truck) with my stock "training" wheels, lol.

I believe they have had some issues in the past. Heck, the 350Z has had some big issues in the past, and now the results are better. I wasn't first in line for the Z and I wasn't first in line for the iforged rims, and both have worked out fine for me as of right now.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:12 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by little_rod

I believe they have had some issues in the past. Heck, the 350Z has had some big issues in the past, and now the results are better. I wasn't first in line for the Z and I wasn't first in line for the iforged rims, and both have worked out fine for me as of right now.

C'mon......I know you want your wheels to be perfect...and I want your wheels to perfect as well. But to compare the Z, or Nissan, to a company like iForged is completely ludicrous. Are you kidding?

So what exactly are these "big issues" the Z has had in the past and how are they now better? I know of no production changes during this year's model run that have had anything to do with "big issues." Fill me in.

Last edited by ZZtopp; 06-16-2003 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:16 PM
little_rod

Originally posted by ZZtopp
C'mon......I know you want your wheels to be perfect...and I want your wheels to perfect as well. But to compare the Z, or Nissan, to a company like iForged is completely ludicrous. Are you kidding?

So what exactly are these "big issues" the Z has had in the past and how are they now better? I know of no production changes during this year's model run that have had anything to do with "big issues." Fill me in.
Well, I guess we would have to wonder what our definitions of "big issues" is. Any problems with my 30K investment in my car are bigger to me than my 2K rims. I guess "big issues" could have overstated it, but there were issues. There are owners who have been really upset over the excessive tire feathering, some sold the car. Others were dissatisfied with paint chipping, greasy windows, and the bose system sounding like crap.

There is really no comparsion as far as companys', but the PR issues don't have anything to do with the rims themselves. A few guys have reported some issues they had with quality, but the issues that I pointed out with our Z has something to do with quality too.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:22 AM
srobert910

The point of all of this is.... You can't get CUSTOM forged wheels for this kind of price anywhere. I mean no one rips on HRE's prices. What do they do that justifies such a high price? I know they are probl. the best quality wheel on the market, but it's not like they're making them out of titanium. I'm not bashing HRE's wheels at all, and if i could justify spending $5-6K on wheels for my $35k car, I would have a set. Also don't leave out Kinesis, Fiske and other custom wheel makers. You're not going to get any great deals from them either. For me Iforged was the only option. They make a great wheel, for a decent price. Granted they don't have the best customer service, but they are working on it. And as far as the Volk argument goes, Volk makes a great wheel, but try to order a custom offset or a custom finish. It doesn't exist. Not all of their wheels are forged either. The thing about all this is, everyone has different taste, and everyone will have their opinions, so just buy the product you want.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:59 AM
mcduck

havabooz...

I'm pretty sure that no one waited longer on their iForged wheels than I did and, on top of that, due to an error on my part in ordering the correct width wheel, I've actually had to return my rear wheels to be widened.

That said, don't let the naysayers turn you off from iForged.

Simply put, when my wheels first arrived, they were as good as the best wheels I have seen. The only (minor) flaw I found was with the iForged logo on the centers and that is not very noticeable. If you want my full review, look for my thread called "Brickyard + Tint + iForged = Awwww Yeeah" or something like that. I wrote a very lengthy review of the wheels, the order process and so forth.

The only flaw with the product was one I induced by buying tires too wide for the wheels I ordered. You want a story of excellent customer service???? Vince offered to correct this for me at no charge... for a mistake on my part where he could have simply said, "that's the way you ordered them." But he didn't... and for that, I put them above and beyond many others on customer service.

I maintain the only issue I really had was the lengthy delay on delivery, but by recent accounts it seems iForged is turning out wheels in much quicker fashion.

I think it comes down to... can you wait a few extra weeks to get a near HRE quality wheel for half the price?
Old 06-17-2003, 01:34 PM
ZZtopp

I wasn't going to relay this story on this forum, but perhaps you guys need to hear this.

The guy who sold me my tires told me an interesting story: several months ago, he was mounting a set of tires on some 20" iForged rims for a BMW and a weld cracked during the mounting process. "Did they fix it?" I asked. Yeah, eventually" he replied, "but would you want those wheels on your car?"

I have no idea if this story is true, but he had absolutey no axe to grind (I had already purchased Volk wheels somewhere else) and he quickly volunteered it after I mentioned that I had originally considered iForged wheels.

Like I said, you usually get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: i-forged interest (anyone)