Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Advan problem. anyone heard anything like this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 PM
tware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had runout checked on a Hunter balancer, the old style that you run the arm around the rim, they are dead on round. Two wheels, possibly three are doing it
Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Plz keep update for us.

thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 AM
tware

bump to beg for any ideas..
Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 PM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tware
bump to beg for any ideas..
The t6's are HOLLOW. Open the caps on the spokes and make sure there is nothing in them. The only other Yokohama wheel that uses Enkei's hollow core technology is the ADVAN TCII.

BTW, the T6's are AVS, not Advan... though both are Yokohama wheels.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:18 PM
tware

Thanks. I have had the plugs out and flushed the hollow spokes out with compressed air and then later, water. The hole is 1" and its nearly impossible to get anything down in there to inspect the area inside. I even considered trying to find a scope to look around. May go out the airport and call in some favors, they have some things to inspect stuff like this..

In the first week, I did have the worst wheel dismounted and no less than 10 people in the shop took turns very closely inspecting the wheel.. by this point, I had taken the caps off just so no one would lose them.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 786 Posts

sounds like the valve stem to me. The noise seems to occur when the valve stem is at the bottom of the rotation ( if sound if delayed a bit, else its a few degrees after it reaches the bottom)
Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
tware

damn, very observant. Brad/theprofessional mentioned that above, but I didnt notice the position as it turned. I dismissed it because if you look at the wheel, its nowhere close to the bead. The stem is on that second step and at least an inch inboard.. but I'm gonna throw that wheel on and roll with a some hard foam or tape around the valve stem to see what difference it makes. I'm out of other things to try.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:23 PM
tware

wasnt the valve stem. I was able to secure it by wedging something (hard felt like you use under furniture) and duct tape.. I mean, it was wedged quite firmly and the noise didnt change one bit. Then, I taped it down the other way, again no change in pitch with the clicking.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 AM
DustinZ33

It's hard to imagine what it could be. It's the same, identical noise every rotation.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Manu

If you spin the wheel by itself, does it make noise ?

Did you try replacing the valve entirely ?

Does the noise go away at speed ?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:58 AM
tware

no, it takes load and it more pronounced when turning.

no, I didnt replace the valve, the tire has been dismounted and inspected, including the valve. What I tried yesterday with hard foam and tape was a longshot, thats really already been checked in the first days of this issue.

no, it increases with speed. I cant say I've taken them past 50mph more than 2 time, but I've heard it at 45mph+ when going around a turn.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:16 PM
tHisZ_bFAST

Sounds like the axle clicking.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Fleet Z

This is only a suggestion but I would make sure the lug nut isn't bottoming itself out on the wheel stud and giving the impression that the wheel nut is tight. I would try to screw the nut on and make sure you're getting the depth needed into the wheel to properly tighten the wheel. If the inside of the nut bottoms against the end of the stud, you could torque this thing to death and still have a loose wheel. The clinking sound I believe is the movement of one metal surface against another. It sounds like a cracked wheel but isn't a cracked wheel. One of your comments was interesting when you said the noise wasn't there when it was very cold. Metals contract in the cold and it could have been cold enough to tighten the wheel to nut connection just enough to eliminate the noise. Once the wheel/tire/brake assembly begins to warm up, the noise comes back.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:32 PM
tware

Originally Posted by tHisZ_bFAST
Sounds like the axle clicking.
Sound like it, true.. but its not. Clicks on Adam's (idwin) car and he's already running low offset w/o issues

thanks tho
Old 03-21-2008, 04:36 PM
tware

Originally Posted by Fleet Z
This is only a suggestion but I would make sure the lug nut isn't bottoming itself out on the wheel stud and giving the impression that the wheel nut is tight. I would try to screw the nut on and make sure you're getting the depth needed into the wheel to properly tighten the wheel. If the inside of the nut bottoms against the end of the stud, you could torque this thing to death and still have a loose wheel. The clinking sound I believe is the movement of one metal surface against another. It sounds like a cracked wheel but isn't a cracked wheel. One of your comments was interesting when you said the noise wasn't there when it was very cold. Metals contract in the cold and it could have been cold enough to tighten the wheel to nut connection just enough to eliminate the noise. Once the wheel/tire/brake assembly begins to warm up, the noise comes back.

thanks, great suggestion. I have tried 3 sets of lugs, including long style tuner lugs. Popping lugs were my first idea. I thought it might even be a taper/seat issue, so I got Rays lugs, that engagement area is massive on the Rays. Tried that last Friday, no go. When I took the Rays off, I could see everything had seated perfectly.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Willowns

Well something I may suggest...You said you couldnt find anything to fit down in the hollow spoke. Well at parts stores they sell these mirror things just liek the dentist uses put with an extenable pole...like a pointer stick. Just find one of these, stick It down in the hollow spoke (if it will fit) And shine a flashlight down in there and then maybee you can see something!?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 PM
tware

I tried, the holes are less than 1", so the smallest mirror I could find was too big. I meant to get a dental mirror. I need to do that. but the spokes are curved anyway, i probably need to borrow a scope like this
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94958
Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd almost bet its the valvestem..nothing you are going to wrap it in is going to solve it, you need to change the stem
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd almost bet its the valvestem..nothing you are going to wrap it in is going to solve it, you need to change the stem to eliminate that as the cause. I've seen this happen on all sorts of wheels

as for getting a replacement, any dealer can, but it won't be fast...T6 were never a popular wheel, even in Japan, when compared to other Advan models. If you are in a huge rush, we can air one in (not cheap, but it's fast)
Old 04-16-2008, 08:55 PM
tware

I would agree... it makes sense and is a common cause of a noise like that. but the last thing I did was have a plain rubber valve stem swapped in, remounted tire. The noise did not change at all.

One thing I didnt really mention here, but I did on the other thread about being taken for the money on these (in OT)...
the two wheels that were clicking were filled with some sort of penetrating oil when I got them.. I noticed right away that something was leaking from the plugs as I unboxed those two wheels.

ckiesz assured me this was either some oil cleaner he had used or some sort of anti corrosion stuff he put in there (ACF50). There was more than enough to affect balance so I immediately removed the goo. I dont know if the sound would have been lessened by the oil.

While I wasnt all that happy about having to clean out the oil/cleaner (I was never clear on which it was), what he said sorta checked out.. he worked the airport and ACF50 would have been something that wouldnt have hurt the wheels.

He mentioned hearing loose lug nuts once but the noise stopped when he tightened them. That led me to try Rays lug nuts and use a dremel to knock down a small ridge on the lug seat.

I tried 5 different lugs on this (1 stock, gorrilla, Rays, some at the tire shop, and whatever Adam (idwin) has on his car). They all clicked exactly the same, no change.
I use small dremel wire wheel to knock down that ridge alittle bit, but I really wanted to grind it down completely.

It would seem logical that he raced these wheels with loose lugs and wallowed out the lug seat. And I considered taking them to the machine shop to have those seats cleaned up properly.. But, that still leaves me with why 2 clicking wheels were full of oil.. It really makes me think I dont have the full story and I'm just wasting my time. I'd really like to use the wheels some day, I really loved them.

Quick Reply: Advan problem. anyone heard anything like this?