Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Items I need to complete my 1/4 mile car

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 06:25 PM
350ZMatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me clarify. I bought a track edition. 1st delivery in Queens. After 6,000 miles, i had Smithtown Nissan help me with my desire for pimp looking rotors. at the time there were no drilled replacement rotors available. They have a talented guy named andrew, who works on their clients cars in their race shop. He advised i dont drill used rotors. So i bought brand new OEM brembo rotors on the Z and had them drilled!

The old ones went back to Nissan.

Brembo still does not sell drilled rotor replacements for the track Z. However Stillen and other companies do.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by integrate
You had your brembo rotors cross drills?
Old 07-04-2003, 06:53 PM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I might as well add my $.02...

The only reason for a street car that goes to the dragstrip often to run crossdrilled rotors is for looks. The will not benefit you in that application. In fact, they will be more prone to problems such as accelerated pad wear and cracks in the rotors.

For applications such as roadcourse duty, some pads can benefit from drilling or slotting. However, cross drilling is very bad in this case because of the stress the rotors will endure. If you must do anything, slotting is preferred. And if you can get away with it, its still better to not even slot them.

BTW, Porsche rotors have holes in them, but they aren't crossdrilled. They are cast with the holes, which makes all the difference. I'm not gonna go into the metallurgy that proves this, but if anybody is interested I'll try to point you to threads on other technical forums that will explain it all. And they do use their cast iron rotors with these cast holes in many racing applications.

There's nothing wrong with Max running crossdrilled if that's what he wants. It sounds like he wants to make it look better, and if he likes crossdrilled, then that's fine. But you shouldn't expect to get any improvement in braking from the drilled rotors.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:40 PM
12SecZ

Thanks,

I apreciate your unbiased answer.

350ZMatt

Your D Blue Is Pimp Shiznit!

I'm not worried about once a month trips to the track during the short season I like the way you look. Some get it some don't.

The Stillens are a little pricey it's on my to do list.

I plan on Rotors, pads and calipers anyway 350ZMatt

plus SS lines!
Old 07-04-2003, 09:20 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no comment on use or reliability, cause I really dont have any clue on that.

but they look cool thats for sure. definitly gives the brakes a mean appearance behind those rims.

which are also nice by the way.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:23 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Cross-drilled rotors should be fine for 1/4 mile runs.......roadrace, no......drifting, no. The only way this could be bad for 1/4 mile runs is if you hot-lap it.

I think a lot of the negative comments about cross-drilled rotors were in reference to road-racing.

Ares....Max's car is also his daily driver, so removing the brakes entirely isn't really an option for him, although i'd personally love to see a Z with parachute packs on the back!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:01 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I realize thats not a feasable thing for a regular car, and I realize drag racers have parachuts and all to aid in stopping. that was just my basis in not understanding how brakes were very important in a quarter mile as drag racers do not have very much in the area of brakes at all, yet they manage to stop.

I do understand appearance, and performance in other areas.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:28 AM
GaryK

You are right about dragracers and brakes Ares. Hardcore drag cars, at least from what I've seen, will use the smallest lightest brakes they can. As long as they can stop the car one time and then get a nice cooldown, they are fine. There are aftermarket brake packages available for other cars, and they all use non-vented thin little rotors. Ultra lightweight, but after one stop you can't expect them to work again until they cool down.

For the 350z, the stock brakes should be plenty at the strip. They can stop the car very fast if need be. I found out how good they are the other night when a deer ran out in front of me. If I hadn't had my seatbelt on, I would have been tasting the dash or windshield....it stopped like I threw an anchor out. I just wouldn't expect it to stop like that repeatedly without some time to cool down.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:24 PM
D'oh

What a drama!

Stoptech = brake kits that come either Drilled or Slotted
Brembo = brake kits that come either Drilled or Slotted or Drilled and Slotted

Not sure about the others.

-D'oh!
Old 07-05-2003, 11:33 PM
integrate

Originally posted by 350ZMatt
Let me clarify. I bought a track edition. 1st delivery in Queens. After 6,000 miles, i had Smithtown Nissan help me with my desire for pimp looking rotors. at the time there were no drilled replacement rotors available. They have a talented guy named andrew, who works on their clients cars in their race shop. He advised i dont drill used rotors. So i bought brand new OEM brembo rotors on the Z and had them drilled!

The old ones went back to Nissan.

Brembo still does not sell drilled rotor replacements for the track Z. However Stillen and other companies do.

Hope that helps.
Oops, I must've been pretty tired. Yes, that is what I was asking... I meant to say "you had your Brembo rotors DRILLED?" haha..sorry.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:26 AM
SizongZ

From the last time I checked the Brembo website I saw that they did have drilled rotors for the Z.
Check it out... but they run over 300 bucks each I believe....
Old 09-01-2003, 09:03 PM
webcarconnection

Hey Max!
here you go Pal

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=41281
Old 09-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Max is gone man. He was banned awhile ago.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:28 PM
webcarconnection

WOW... we gonna miss all the crazy stuff he was doing in his Z!!!