Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Items I need to complete my 1/4 mile car

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 06:45 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Items I need to complete my 1/4 mile car

Drilled Rotors, Blue (powder coated) or Gold Calipers, and new pads (all for the front for now.

Yes, I did a forum search on drilled rotors and here is my results.

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?...der=descending

I have 2 days off (if I don't answer the phone) for the first time in what seems like a year so where they at? I want to order!
Old 07-01-2003, 07:56 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im lost, you decided to keep the nitrous kit .. I think. either that or you lost it

so no sc?

but what do brakes have to do with a quarter mile? the runoff ramp too short for you? haha
Old 07-01-2003, 11:01 PM
12SecZ

Im lost
Sorry,

I once was lost too but now I'm find, was blind but now I see.

I'm gonna run the 35HP N20 kit just to have fun purging and to add a little more cold air and fuel at launch plus the ATI Polished Pro Charger.

The brakes get real hot when doing 11.9 then stopping real hard and fast the drilled holes help keep them cooler and the larger calipers give you more stopping power.

Going fast is important but so is stopping fast too.

I have been checking around and it seems that Brembo doesn't make either drilled or slotted (I want drilled) for our car which just seems kind of dumb to me.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:30 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by MaxHax
I have been checking around and it seems that Brembo doesn't make either drilled or slotted (I want drilled) for our car which just seems kind of dumb to me.
This is not dumb, it is logical. Cross-drilled and slotted discs (drilled moreso than slotted) have a tendency to fracture or crack under high performance conditions. That is why those types of discs are never used on high performance track cars. A good example would be the Ferrari 360. The street model has cross-drilled brakes, but if you buy the F1 model or the new Challenge model you get solid discs.

The only brake I can think of used in high performance cars that is cross-drilled are Porsche PCCB brakes, but those are not made of metal (ceramic composite). If you could get a hold of a pair of those for your front brakes...that would be ideal since they are almost as good as carbon ones but offer superior durability. The fact that they glow under any sort of braking at all is just a badass bonus
Old 07-01-2003, 11:37 PM
12SecZ

Oh man now we have the dang resident genius here in his bone stock 55mph car with side air bags who never races talking about 200mph Ferraris.

Just forget I asked mang I'll find them.

If you don't know the answer quit taking up the bandwith to explain why I don't need sopmething I want every time I post it's getting ridicoulous (really) the board is so slow right now it's barely opening up pages!

Happened on the other thread too about the Tranny Cooler which EVERY car at our track just happens to have!

Does anyone here even race their Z's or at least Auto X them and know how to mod them?

Good grief.

/sign off goes to bed disgusted.

Last edited by 12SecZ; 07-01-2003 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:55 AM
syf0n

Hey man you don't have to be a f*cking douche, I'm just explaining basic facts about brakes that are easily attainable off of an number of websites. If you think I'm such a liar go look it up.

At any rate, all you are doing is coming off as a belligerent fool. You're taking one thing that I said in another thread about necessity (want versus need) and turning into a big dramatic ordeal. Grow up! You don't know me or my style of driving, so don't presume to judge.

On topic: I really think your car is mint and I was just offering some advice about types of breaks, since you seem to have a lot better means than me to mod a car right now and you're pretty good at it. Why come off so harsh? I wasn't trying to get in your face, just telling you that solid discs might be a bit better than you thought.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:07 AM
12SecZ

Didn't that feel good to totally just slam me?

I stilll can't sleep.

And you spelled breaks wrong in your quickness to lash out at me.

When someone says "what do you need brakes for when going 1120 mph it just irks me man.

It's also an appearance mod too ever think of that /

That maybe I like the way they look?

Every think I just wanted a name of a dealer and not all this crapola about your scientific reasons why I shouldn't buy them?

Thanks for the compliment though, I earn every penny I mmake though trust me. I was talking to someone the other day and fell aslepp on them it was a 30 min power nap and they were yelling at me (a member here and couldn't wake me up.) So I earn my toys. Let's get that out of the way with a quickness k?
You don't know me either. We are just text on a screen.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:11 AM
apsilon

You can get drilled rotors via Stillen.

FWIW syf0n is correct, they'll likely crack if you do enough hard stops on them. Seeing as you're only looking at one hard stop with followed by time to cool down you may be OK. Just keep an eye on them.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:53 AM
joust75

Everyone here is exaggeating the fragility of drilled rotors!! While they may not be the best choice I still know plenty of auto Xers who run drilled rotors. And they got no beef. These horror stories come from those who buy the crapo drilled rotors out of the 2 page ads in 'Super Street' for cheap stores that specialize in Altezza and neon lights.
It seems some people get an idea from others on the forum and then put the idea on a bronze plaque and refer to it as gospel to show how much they know about cars
Old 07-04-2003, 02:01 AM
syf0n

If you are doing hardcore driving, drilled discs are a BAD dea. No racing team would ever recommend them, and no professional drivers use them. They are fine for the occaisonal autocross, but if you are tracking your car consistently they are bad news.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:05 AM
integrate

Drilled Rotors - I wouldn't recommend them, but if you do buy them, make sure they're from a reputable source.

I just witnessed drilled rotors crack at Streets of Willow a little while ago.

Last edited by integrate; 07-04-2003 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:42 AM
12SecZ

I didn't ask for opinions I asked for dealers this board has gone to hell as far as I am concerned, no one helps or cares anymore they just trash talk,

Syphon I let you slide on the trash talk telling me to grow up but it won't happen again bud.

Should I share your PM to me about getting arrested so now you can't afford the cat pipes and you flaked on the guy aftewr I *really* ordered them.

In another thread you said your car would remain all stock. Now you are talking about buying exhaust and CAI and catpipes etc. Get it straight mang.. I bet you don't even have a Z!

Syphon your a rude foul mouthed flake.

I spent months modding my car and posting pics etc and now all I get is crap.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it. The Stillen link was the only response that was OT here in this thread.

Sad...
Old 07-04-2003, 07:50 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does this look like vender classified? thats apparently what you need.

and no I didnt know brakes were important in a quarter mile. hell if you want a quarter mile monster Id bet money you only need rear rotors and cut rotational mass. pretty sure atleast real drag cars dont even have front brakes.

you sure do get bent outa shape real easy. and Im guessing this will further **** you off, but thats ok.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:27 AM
12SecZ

What a nice thing for yet another mod to say that it's ok to **** me off.

My days here are soooo numbered.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Moroccan_Mole

Originally posted by joust75
[B]Everyone here is exaggeating the fragility of drilled rotors!! While they may not be the best choice I still know plenty of auto Xers who run drilled rotors. And they got no beef.
cone dodgers dont go above 50-60mph though
when youre doing hard repeated stops from 100mph+, is when youre going to run into problems with drilled rotors. granted they look awesome, they are simply not suited for track applications.
if you wanted to get them cryo-treated, that may be a different story.

ares is right, you do get bent out of shape very easily ... relax, you act like everybody is plotting against you. a couple of people give you constructive comments or tell you that your post is in the wrong forum, and you blow it way out of proportion.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

And you spelled breaks wrong in your quickness to lash out at me.
Breaks: Shatters, fractures, fails.

Brakes: Something that stops a car.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:58 PM
350ZMatt

I got mine at Smithtown Nissan. Ask for Dan Z. His handle here is "bluefish"

I have over 10k on my odometer and have logged 4000 miles with my new cross drilled rotors. Do not get this procedure done on used rotors. And also, change the brake pads when you get them drilled.

I have had no cracking and the stopping power feels the same. I have not done any motor trend type testing though.

Its just pimp. and I didnt want to get larger brakes just yet so this was the easiest thing for me since mine came with brembos. here are some pics.

PS. what is going on with this message board? seems like the fish bowl has gotten too small all of a sudden. I miss the days when we were all trying to get photos of our Z's coming from Japan into the harbor!
Attached Thumbnails Items I need to complete my 1/4 mile car-brembo.jpg  

Last edited by 350ZMatt; 07-04-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:00 PM
350ZMatt

another glamour shot
Attached Thumbnails Items I need to complete my 1/4 mile car-4.jpg  
Old 07-04-2003, 06:18 PM
integrate

You had your brembo rotors cross drills?
Old 07-04-2003, 06:21 PM
ZRAYGO

nice roters

Quick Reply: Items I need to complete my 1/4 mile car