Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

To TPS or Not To TPS or DRILL HOLE IN VOLK

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 PM
John H.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To TPS or Not To TPS or DRILL HOLE IN VOLK

Picked up a set of Volk GT-S. Made tire selection, however, I forgot one thing....the TPS issue. Maybe veteren and/or experienced Volk GT-S owners can answer my questions.

1. This was taken from a post....

Q: I bought aftermarket wheels and didn't move the TPMS sensors to the new wheels. What's up with the warning light (!).
A: After about 30 minutes of continual driving, if the system doesn't detect a signal from the four sensors, the warning will beep and the dash light (!) will illuminate. You CAN'T disable the warning or the light. Neither Nissan or any shop can disable it (it illegal if they do it).

So....what happens? Does it continually beep and flash? Intermittently? I would like a more detailed and expanded answer please.

2. Spoke to some vendors. I was rec. that my new Volks be drilled out to accept my old TPS sensors. I can see the logic in this, as the TPS can be mounted the way it was designed.....HOWEVER, by drilling a hole in the barrel, does this not compromise the integrity of the wheel?

3. Replacing Volk stem with TPS, standing up. Well, the TPS is designed to lay against the barrel. There is not much room between the sensor and road. Any hard impaction to the immediate area of sensor could damage it.

4. What are most GT-S owners doing?

5. Is there a way to defeat the sensors? Resistors? Re-programming? What GT-S owners doing in Japan?

Last edited by John H.; 04-10-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM
joe645733

ya dude, i left the tpm's on my stock wheels... and im kinda pissed now haha. but i dont get any light on for it, it just doesnt read anything when i go to it.

are the tpm's on the inside of the wheel? or the outside?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 PM
moforeynolds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1: Basically...it depends. People have had different results...including me.

I bought a set of Grand Tourings last year; they already had tires mounted so I just installed them without installing the TPMS from my stockers (there were TPMS already installed on the GTs, but obviously not programmed for my car). After I put the GTs on the light was always lit on my dash and every time I started the car this AMAZINGLY ANNOYING beep would sound that lasted about 30 seconds. That went on for about a week or two before it quit, but I would still get the light on my dash. I eventually had the existing TPMS programmed, and everything worked like OEM.

I sold the wheels about a month ago, TPMS included. I bought new tires for my stockers that I remounted, but I didn't reinstall the TPMS because I'm getting new wheels in the near future, and planned on doing the band method for those (there is a how-to in the DIY forums). That way I could put the TPMS on the new wheels, have tires mounted and then easily swap them on instead of having to keep the car on jacks for a few days. Anyway, point being is that my stockers are back on the car right now with no TPMS--but this time, no beep, and no dash light. The display obviously doesn't show any pressure readings, but that's it.

2. I've never heard of this. If it's been mentioned before here, I missed it. The TPMS do NOT need to be mounted in the OEM position to work (again, see the band-mounting method in the DIY forums). Drilling a hole is not necessary, and frankly I can't see how that would work. Maybe I'm not understanding this method correctly since this is the first time I've heard about this.

3. I guess you could replace the GTS valve stem with the TPMS, but why bother when the band method works? You DO need to have enough clearance to use the band method, so if you are going to run 30 series tires I can see that being an issue, but I don't know for sure. Many members with 35s have done the band method with no problems though.

4. Band method, I would assume.

5. Not that I'm aware of. I was hoping that I could just do something as simple as pulling a fuse to disable it, but unfortunately I haven't found a solution.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 AM
accordfreak

look in the DIY section
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-diy/30147-designed-a-way-to-mount-tire-pressure-sensor-to-any-wheel.html

if you plan to leave it out, why wouldn't you use something so useful. TPMS saved me numerous times.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:17 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/272900-read-this-before-you-ask-about-tire-pressure-monitor-tp.html

DO NOT DRILL YOUR WHEELS.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:46 PM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The TPS warning light flashes a few times when I start the car, then it just stays illuminated. Never had any beeping!!! The warning light never bothers me. Guess I'm just used to it.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:27 PM
abeklipse

I installed a set of GT-C wheels on my 04 Enth. about two weeks ago and so far I've driven the car through a full tank of gas with at least 30 min of continual driving. So far I have not had the warning light come on. I know the sensors are in working order.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:58 PM
ss350

I have the GTS. I used the band method. About a year later, still no problems.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:00 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by joe645733
ya dude, i left the tpm's on my stock wheels... and im kinda pissed now haha. but i dont get any light on for it, it just doesnt read anything when i go to it.

are the tpm's on the inside of the wheel? or the outside?
+1, I don;t get beeps, it just says --- when I scroll to the PSI portion!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 PM
ZR_Yancy

Can't a tire shop just relocate the sensors from one wheel to the new ones? Is it that complicated? I'm sure tire shops deal with sensors all the time when they have customers buy new heels from them I have them mounted. I called Discount Tire & asked them an estimate on swapping wheels & tires out with all sensors relocated to the new wheels & they said it's gonna be around $80 to do everything.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Same experience here (as zand02max reports). All you see is "---". (I have a 2003 Performance Modele with TPMS.)

And... I certainly would not drill any holes in an expensive wheel.

--Spike
Old 04-11-2008, 03:42 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR_Yancy
Can't a tire shop just relocate the sensors from one wheel to the new ones? Is it that complicated? I'm sure tire shops deal with sensors all the time when they have customers buy new heels from them I have them mounted. I called Discount Tire & asked them an estimate on swapping wheels & tires out with all sensors relocated to the new wheels & they said it's gonna be around $80 to do everything.
I do not believe you quite understand the challenge here. These are multi-piece wheels which are not the same as 1 piece wheels. They are different becuase of where the valve stem hole is at.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:51 PM
ZR_Yancy

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
I do not believe you quite understand the challenge here. These are multi-piece wheels which are not the same as 1 piece wheels. They are different becuase of where the valve stem hole is at.
Oh ok. I'm a bit wiser now. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM
LAKERSFAN

either use the banding method or leave them out. you dont get beeps. just a warning light.

DO NOT DRILL YOUR VOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:04 PM
John H.

Originally Posted by ZR_Yancy
The GT-S wheels have their stems located in the center of the barrel. The tube you see (that protrudes from behind the spokes) is an extension of that.

Most wheels with TPS are attached to valve stem, and are located near the outer portion of wheel. On the inside, the TPS usually sits on a ledge, where the lip of wheel curves.

Well, I ordered my rears. They should be in tomorrow or Monday. My fronts will be ordered tomorrow. By end week of next week, my Volks should have rubber on them.

As for my TPS dilemma, I decided to run without them. Yes, I did consider the various options. Dealing with warning light and a few chimes are not a problem.

I put approx. 100 miles RT each time for work. Furthermore, depending on time of day, one can easily spend 10 minutes or 60 minutes attempting to travel several miles of the same freeway. With such in mind, I hope you can see my concerns over this issue.

While researching TPS mounting options, I ran across a method that has not been mentioned in our forum....adapter. That is, you attach your TPS to adapter stem. However, I am not sure of the long-term performance of such a part. Here is a pic...

I saw several for sale on eBay. Also, I ran across some wheel sites selling such. Anyone try these out on their Volks yet???

Have a good weekend!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:12 PM
John H.

Default Photochop

If all goes well, my ZR should look like this by the end of next week!

Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 PM
ZR_Yancy

Originally Posted by John H.
If all goes well, my ZR should look like this by the end of next week!

Nice! What size are those?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:04 PM
John H.

I Photochoped a stock photo of my ZR. V0lks not on the car yet. The wheel specs are 19 x 9.5 and 10.5, tires on order are 255/35 and 285/35, fronts and rears, respectively. Offsets are F+30 and R+28....which is perfect for me. Got an outstanding deal from TheDuke. Most importantly, they are in **** condition....and I am a picky MF when it comes to buying things with my hard earned cash!

Last edited by John H.; 04-11-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Kinraze

Originally Posted by John H.
The GT-S wheels have their stems located in the center of the barrel. The tube you see (that protrudes from behind the spokes) is an extension of that.

Most wheels with TPS are attached to valve stem, and are located near the outer portion of wheel. On the inside, the TPS usually sits on a ledge, where the lip of wheel curves.

Well, I ordered my rears. They should be in tomorrow or Monday. My fronts will be ordered tomorrow. By end week of next week, my Volks should have rubber on them.

As for my TPS dilemma, I decided to run without them. Yes, I did consider the various options. Dealing with warning light and a few chimes are not a problem.

I put approx. 100 miles RT each time for work. Furthermore, depending on time of day, one can easily spend 10 minutes or 60 minutes attempting to travel several miles of the same freeway. With such in mind, I hope you can see my concerns over this issue.

While researching TPS mounting options, I ran across a method that has not been mentioned in our forum....adapter. That is, you attach your TPS to adapter stem. However, I am not sure of the long-term performance of such a part. Here is a pic...

I saw several for sale on eBay. Also, I ran across some wheel sites selling such. Anyone try these out on their Volks yet???

Have a good weekend!
I have also researched the adapter method, and found that in many non Z forums people were complaining about the difficulty of not damaging them while trying to have a tire mounted. The tire shops that mounted them had to go to extrordinary lengths to get the tires over them with out damage that they will most definately be damaged when the tires are removed for new ones. Tires have to fit tight and slide over the rim. The sensor would be located right in the middle making it difficult. Also there is a high probability of damaging your wheels because of all the extra pry bars it takes.

Last edited by Kinraze; 04-11-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:48 PM
joe645733

so is the tire pressure monitor on the outside of the wheel? or the inside? cuz i sold my stock rays to someone at work and that would be alot easier if theyre on the outside of the car.

Quick Reply: To TPS or Not To TPS or DRILL HOLE IN VOLK