Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

To TPS or Not To TPS or DRILL HOLE IN VOLK

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Kinraze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The actual sensor is on the inside of the wheel. You will have to remove the tire to get the sensor out.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:08 PM
moforeynolds

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John H.
If all goes well, my ZR should look like this by the end of next week!

WOW it will look like that?...so you ordered 22s? just kidding man, post up pics when you get them on!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:00 PM
John H.

Originally Posted by moforeynolds
WOW it will look like that?...so you ordered 22s? just kidding man, post up pics when you get them on!
I'm busted! Although the size may have been "slightly" exaggerated, those are the actual wheels I purchased. The original pic I modified is below....

I'll post pics when Volks go on.

Last edited by John H.; 04-12-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 AM
=Cerberus=

Originally Posted by LAKERSFAN
either use the banding method or leave them out. you dont get beeps. just a warning light.

DO NOT DRILL YOUR VOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG CAPS LOCK IS AUTOPILOT FOR COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So is he going to suffer a terribly excruciating death if he *gasp* drills the volks? they are just wheels man. If he took them to a skilled machine shop they could do anything he wanted.

I personally would go with the band method, since it is just easier, cheaper, plus it will allow you to undo what you did if you want to sell them. Though i am sure if you did it right, a set of nice volks that would accept the stock TPMS units would sell here pretty easy.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:06 AM
eclipZe

Originally Posted by John H.
I'm busted! Although the size may have been "slightly" exaggerated, those are the actual wheels I purchased. The original pic I modified is below....

I'll post pics when Volks go on.
OT. Is that your car? If so what rear spoiler is that?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:01 AM
asianracerchick

that's weird!...i didnt put the stock TPS on my GTS, i just used the Rays valves and it works just fine...it reads accurately and even tells me when and which tire is low of air without the stock TPS...why is that mine's works perfectly well and most owners are having a lot of problems?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 AM
John H.

Originally Posted by eclipZe
OT. Is that your car? If so what rear spoiler is that?
Yes, it is my car. The spoiler is a Central 20 replica. I purchased it from Ken at Shine Auto. I think he said it was his last one for a roadster.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shyguy010

So is he going to suffer a terribly excruciating death if he *gasp* drills the volks? they are just wheels man. If he took them to a skilled machine shop they could do anything he wanted.
no but skilled shop or not the wheels could suffer a premature failure costing alot more in the long run. Volks or not, i would not drill any wheel at all, period
Old 04-14-2008, 07:13 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by asianracerchick
that's weird!...i didnt put the stock TPS on my GTS, i just used the Rays valves and it works just fine...it reads accurately and even tells me when and which tire is low of air without the stock TPS...why is that mine's works perfectly well and most owners are having a lot of problems?
Thats not even possible, just think about it for a second. Maybe the shop banded your TPMS sensors for you already?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:13 AM
asianracerchick

Originally Posted by redlude97
Thats not even possible, just think about it for a second. Maybe the shop banded your TPMS sensors for you already?
probably...but i wasn't told by the shop of anything about having them band any TPMS sensors...maybe they just took the intiative of doing it for me
Old 04-15-2008, 10:01 AM
John H.

For those unfamiliar with the Volk GT-S wheel, here are a pair of unmodified 19 inchers (x10.5 top, x9.5 bottom)

*Note the location of the Volk valve stems on the barrels of the wheels.

Last edited by John H.; 04-15-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM
John H.

Originally Posted by asianracerchick
That is FN weird. I just had my rear tires installed at Status. Of course, I asked not to transfer and/or install the TPS. On my way home (approx. 38 mile drive), I drove through typical stop/go 5PM traffic. At times, the 405 would open where I could travel at regular freeway speeds. Total time travelled was almost 2 hours. AT NO TIME, did I get a sensor light or ring/buzz warning of any type. Instead, I got a steady tire psi reading of 34R and 35L. WTF!?

I am starting to gather info on this TPMS used in the Z. Apparently, Nissan replaced and/or updated the TPMS control unit/module in mid year 2005. Furthermore, the early c/u/modules were liberal. I have yet to check my prod. date, however, I suspect my vehicle has the earlier version of the c/u/modul.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:20 PM
John H.

Just wanted to report back that the TPMS light did come on. Also, I noticed there are no PSI readings in the monitor. In my previous post, my ignition only cycled once after the tires were installed. I believe it takes several cycles with some travel for the TPMS to recognize that the TPS are INOP and/or missing. Yet to hear a warning ring. Of course I am in a ZR with lotsa road noises.