Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Staggered widths for Base (no VDC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008 | 08:57 PM
Phantom Menace

Default Staggered widths for Base (no VDC)

Hi Gang,

I've been doing some searching and cannot find a straightforward answer. I'm thinking about 19"x8.5" (front) and 19"x10-10.5"(rears). Now, from what I understand, the cars with VDC need to be careful to keep the sizes pretty close. However, I do not have VDC and would like to make my rears much wider than the fronts. Would this cause any major handling issues (e.g. under/over-steer, etc) ?
Any positive advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2008 | 05:30 AM
davidv

If you want to run 245 mm front and 305 mm rear go for it. For me this would be a under steering disaster. For you? Haven’t the faintest idea.
Old 05-06-2008 | 05:44 AM
Chad68

Haha, I'm running that disaster and the car sticks like glue.
Old 05-08-2008 | 08:53 AM
Phantom Menace

ok...1=bad and 1=good....

bump.
Old 05-10-2008 | 08:49 PM
Phantom Menace

dang...no one wants to buzz in here?
Old 05-11-2008 | 06:16 AM
Chad68

Originally Posted by Phantom Menace
dang...no one wants to buzz in here?
Yer gonna have to stir up some **** somehow, to get people to respond. People like to reply to flame/ban type threads.

Here's the plan...

Ya gotta get a few people (noobs) arguing back and forth, as to why it will and why it won't work. Then the wise ones who actually know what they are talking about will chime in and set the book straight on what you can expect out of that type of setup.

Then the noobs fighting back and forth will start to pick on and question the wise ones info/contribution. The wise ones will eventually get tired and pissed because they know they are right and tell the others they're just a bunch of noobs and the wise ones will stop replying to the thread and defending why the wise ones are correct and why the others are all a bunch of noobs.

It can get really interesting when you get two wise ones arguing back and forth because they use really fancy words.

Then you will have to re-read what the wise ones said. It's important to read what the wise ones said (before and if the wise ones started to argue back and forth). Reason being sometimes when wise ones argue with another wise ones they sometimes say things that aren't totally true because they feel threatend because one wise one might know fancier words.

Then after you have re-read the wise ones threads (pre wise to wise fighting)you will need to do some more searching on your own and try to come up with your own conclusion

By the way, I'm not wise because if I was, I'd be asleep right now
Old 05-11-2008 | 12:12 PM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by Chad68
Yer gonna have to stir up some **** somehow, to get people to respond. People like to reply to flame/ban type threads.

Here's the plan...

Ya gotta get a few people (noobs) arguing back and forth, as to why it will and why it won't work. Then the wise ones who actually know what they are talking about will chime in and set the book straight on what you can expect out of that type of setup.

Then the noobs fighting back and forth will start to pick on and question the wise ones info/contribution. The wise ones will eventually get tired and pissed because they know they are right and tell the others they're just a bunch of noobs and the wise ones will stop replying to the thread and defending why the wise ones are correct and why the others are all a bunch of noobs.

It can get really interesting when you get two wise ones arguing back and forth because they use really fancy words.

Then you will have to re-read what the wise ones said. It's important to read what the wise ones said (before and if the wise ones started to argue back and forth). Reason being sometimes when wise ones argue with another wise ones they sometimes say things that aren't totally true because they feel threatend because one wise one might know fancier words.

Then after you have re-read the wise ones threads (pre wise to wise fighting)you will need to do some more searching on your own and try to come up with your own conclusion

By the way, I'm not wise because if I was, I'd be asleep right now

Dude! You're hilarious! You said you're in SR, right? I gotta take a look at your set up! I work in San Bruno and am in Daly City most of the time. PM me if it is possible for us to meet up sometime so I can check your set up? BTW, you lowered on anything?
Old 05-11-2008 | 12:53 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

9.5's fit in the front , and if you plan on a 295 or 305 rear tire i would run a 265 at the smallest up front . Most likely a 275/30-19.
Old 05-11-2008 | 02:20 PM
35oZephyR

The VDC issue is more about the diameter of the wheel throwing off the system. For your base, you're talking about width size right?

I run 235 front 295 back Michelin PS2's on my base. I know it seems unorthodox but from the way I drive, I see no under-steer or oversteer. Pretty damn neutral compared to my previous 255/275 T1-R combo.

But then again you have to take into consideration what kind of rubber, suspension and camber/toe setting you're running with. Also if you have altered the weight balance in the car (e.g. removing spare, adding audio equipment etc...)

With everything close to stock, I would stick with what everyone else is telling you:

245/265 (265 series more popular with 18')
245/275 (pretty standard when going with the wheels you mentioned)
255/275 (a little heavier on steering but grabbier on the nose)
255/285 (Beefier and stickier for higher hp, but gas mileage will hurt a tad.)

245/35 and 275/35 is probably best for your everyday base on an 8.5 and 10.5 wheel.

This is just judging from what I've used, minus the 18" application of course.