Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Anyone get the US Gov't Investigation Letter on Factory 350z Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribing for more info
Old 05-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully they sent one for the focked up clutch and oil consumption.

Still can't believe I haven't heard of somebody being serioulsy injured or killed because of the clutch.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know but isnt it weird that they would ask you if you bought your car new or used?

Wouldn't they ask people who bought the car directly from Nissan brand new first? Kinda like how if you buy a car used from the dealer you usually don't get all the recall notices until last if even at all?
Old 05-17-2008, 03:50 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
I don't know but isnt it weird that they would ask you if you bought your car new or used?

Wouldn't they ask people who bought the car directly from Nissan brand new first? Kinda like how if you buy a car used from the dealer you usually don't get all the recall notices until last if even at all?
Wrong, weird is like when you wake up with a sore a$$ and there is a $20.00 bill on your nite stand, and a note that says: thanks sexy call me.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:16 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad68
Hopefully they sent one for the focked up clutch and oil consumption.

Still can't believe I haven't heard of somebody being serioulsy injured or killed because of the clutch.
Oh yeah, clutch failures kill people all the time. Not like all those exploding tires, wheel failures or roll-overs.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Simple, if you bought it new then you the owner knows the complete history of the car. If you bought it used, you have no idea what the previous owner did, changed, etc.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe the tire feathering most of us had?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Simple, if you bought it new then you the owner knows the complete history of the car. If you bought it used, you have no idea what the previous owner did, changed, etc.
Makes sense.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

a couple minutes of interweb sleuthing yielded some answers from
"http://aboutpolitics.com/complaints/200_(insert the year)_/NISSAN/350Z"

searched at the various 03-07 nissan 350z listings.. here are some that were apparently 'officially filed' with the DOT

manufacturer: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
vehicle description: 2004 NISSAN 350Z VIN: JN1AZ34E24M
complaint location: VACAVILLE, CA complaint date: 01/07/2008
complaint description:

I PURCHASED A NEW 350Z CAR FROM ANTIOCH (CALIFORNIA) NISSAN DEALERSHIP IN 2004 WITH CHROMED ALLOY WHEELS. IN ADDITION, I PURCHASED AN EXTENDED WARRANTY. ON THE BELOW DATE A VACAVILLE NISSAN MECHANIC WAS TEST DRIVING MY VEHICLE WHEN THE RIGHT FRONT WHEEL CRACKED AROUND THE LUG NUTS AND FELL OFF IN THEIR PARKING LOT CAUSING DAMAGE TO MY VEHICLE AND UNREPAIRABLE DAMAGE TO THE RIM. NISSAN CORPORATION HAS ISSUED BULLETINS TO THE DEALERSHIP NOT TO CHROME ALLOY WHEELS FOR SAFETY AND PERFORMANCE REASONS. I WAS NOT NOTIFIED OF THIS STATUS...ONLY AFTER THE ACCIDENT DID THE VACAVILLE SERVICE MANAGER GIVE ME A COPY OF THEIR BULLETIN DATED 9/07. IT STATED MY WARRANTY IS VOID AS A RESULT OF THE DEALERSHIP CHROMING THE ALLOY WHEELS AS VERIFIED BY THE CORPORATE WARRANTY OFFICE . I HAVE CONTACTED BOTH DEALERSHIPS AND THEIR CORPORATE CONSUMER AFFAIRS OFFICE TO NO AVAIL. HOW MANY OTHER CARS WERE SOLD WITH UNSAFE CHROMED ALLOYED WHEELS? HOW DO I RETRIEVE MY OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES OF CAR REPAIRS, CAR RENTAL, AND REPLACEMENT OF DEFECTIVE WHEELS? *TR
and

vehicle description: 2003 NISSAN 350Z VIN: JN1AZ34D53T
complaint location: FRAMINGHAM, MA complaint date: 08/07/2004
complaint description:

VEHICLE EXPERIENCED A DEFECTIVE MATERIAL REACTION TO AN ALTERED ROAD SURFACE IN FRONT DRIVER'S SIDE RIM. A SET OF RAISED SUBWAY TRACKS RAN PARALLEL WITH THE ROAD I WAS TRAVELING ON. AS THE ROAD FORKED, I WAS FORCED TO TRAVERSE THE TRACKS IN ORDER TO FOLLOW THE APPROPRIATE ROAD. AS SOON AS THE INSIDE EDGE OF FRONT DRIVER'S SIDE RIM CAME IN CONTACT WITH THE SUBWAY RAIL, THE VEHICLE IMMEDIATELY "BOTTOMED OUT". AFTER BRINGING THE VEHICLE TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD I INVESTIGATED THE TIRE AND RIM AND FOUND NO APPARENT DAMAGE. AFTER COMPLETELY REMOVING THE RIM FROM THE VEHICLE IT WAS IMMEDIATELY APPARENT THAT THE INSIDE EDGE OF THE RIM HAD CAVED IN. THE OUTER EDGE OF THE RIM WAS UNDAMAGED, AS WAS THE TIRE ITSELF, BUT THE OUTER EDGE OF THE RIM SEEMED TO HAVE COLLAPSED IN ON ITSELF. THE IMPACT OF THE VEHICLE BOTTOMING OUT MUST HAVE DAMAGED THE ROTOR AND WHEEL STUDS BECAUSE WITHIN 500 FEET OF INSTALLING THE SPARE TIRE THE STUDS THEMSELVES BROKE FORCING ME TO HAVE THE VEHICLE FLATBEDDED TO THE DEALERSHIP. DEALERSHIP REFUSED TO REPAIR VEHICLE AS UNDER WARRANTEE CLAIMING DRIVER ERROR. THE LACK OF TIRE DAMAGE AND SIGNS OF DIRECT IMPACT DAMAGE TO OUTER RIM, SEEMS TO INDICATE A WEAKENED INNER EDGE TO THE RIM STEMMING FROM MATERIAL DEFECT FAILURE/
and

vehicle description: 2005 NISSAN 350Z VIN: JN1AZ34D85M
complaint location: NOTHVILLE, MI complaint date: 05/01/2007
complaint description:

WHEEL SPOKE FRACTURE ON 2 OF 7 SPOKES OF RIGHT FRONT WHEEL. DEALER CLASSIFIED AS DAMAGE NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY BUT NO IMPACT, ACCIDENT, OR TIRE DAMAGE EVER NOTED OR OBSERVED. QUESTIONED IF THIS WAS RELATED TO NHTSA ACTION NUMBER PEO6050 ENGINEERING ANALYSIS EA07-005 BUT DEALER HAD NO KNOWLEDGE. WHEEL REPLACED AT OWNER EXPENSE. NISSAN REQUESTED TO RESPOND ABOUT SAFETY OF THESE WHEELS, STILL WAITING ON RESPONSE.
and

vehicle description: 2006 NISSAN 350Z VIN: JN1AZ36A56M
complaint location: FRISCO, TX complaint date: 10/17/2007
complaint description:

I OWN A 2006 NISSAN 350Z WITH CHROME WHEELS. THREE OF THE WHEELS ARE CRACKED AND THE CAR IS UNSAFE TO DRIVE. THROUGH THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO GET NISSAN TO REPLACE THE WHEELS, I LEARNED THAT THE WHEELS ON THE CAR ARE AFTER-MARKET RE-CHROMED WHEELS. NISSAN IS NOT BEING HELPFUL IN GETTING THE PROBLEM RESOLVED BY REPLACING THE WHEELS. I AM REFERENCING NHTSA DEFECT ACTION NUMBER PE06050 AND ENGINEERING ANALYSIS EA07005. *TR
and

vehicle description: 2006 NISSAN 350Z VIN: JN1AZ34E76M
complaint location: UPLAND, CA complaint date: 08/25/2007
complaint description:

SOMETIMES DRIVING, I HEAR LIGHT CRACKLING NOISE COMES AND GOES. FOR 9 MONTHS CHECKUP, I MENTIONED IT TO DEALER. HE SAID THEY TEST DROVE IT AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE. ON SAT EVENING, 8-25, THE FRONT RT SIDE OF RIM CRACKED & CAME OUT BOUNCING OFF FREEWAY! SCARY & DANGEROUS! WE JUST LET THE CAR SLIDE AND SCRAPE ON THREE WHEELS OFF THE NEXT EXIT. I HAD SPARE TIRE PUT ON & SLOWLY GOT THE CAR BACK HOME, IN SHOCK! MONDAY I HAD CAR TOWED TO NEAREST DEALER & THEY WEREN'T ABLE TO FIX MY CAR BECAUSE OF THE WHEELS. I DIDN'T KNOW WHY....BUT MANAGER THERE CALLED FOR MY PERMISSION TO HAVE IT TOWED BACK TO MY DEALER WITH ALL CHARGES PAID BY DEALER. I WAS DISAPPOINTED, DISRESPECTED, MISTREATED,& LIED TO. BOUGHT CAR IN GOOD FAITH & THEY LIED TO ME SOME MORE! I CALLED NIS MANUF CONSUMER AFFAIRS & FOUND OUT THAT THOSE RIMS WERE DIPPED CHROME! DEALER HAD NERVE TO GIVE ME SAME RIMS & TRY TO RETURN CAR BACK WITH DAMAGE BREAKING THE DISCS & LOWER ARM. ALSO REPAINTED THE SCRAPED BUMPER. HAVE PICS OF SLOPPY WORK WITH CAMERA PHONE. I EXPLAINED TO THEM I WANT IT FIXED BRAND NEW LIKE WHEN I FIRST DROVE OFF THAT LOT WITH IT AND I THOUGHT THEY UNDERSTOOD. I STILL NEED PRO TO THOROUGHLY INSPECT CAR. ALTHOUGH REPAIRS MADE, I DON'T FEEL SAFE DRIVING CAR ANYMORE. I SAID FIX CAR LIKE WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT IT- BEFORE THE DEFECTIVE WHEEL CAME OFF WITH REAL RIMS. HE ORDERED & PLACED IT ON MY CAR. SAT NIGHT, DEALER CALLED TO PICK CAR UP. I ASKED FOR INVOICE AND PAPERS. THEY SAID COME BACK MON. ASKED THEM TO HAND WRITE THAT THE RIMS ARE STOCKED & EVERYTHING NEW LIKE WANTED SO I CAN DRIVE OFF FEELING SAFE. THEY SAID CAN'T. AGAIN I LEFT DISAPPOINTED. NOTICED HEADLIGHTS DIMMER THAN BEFORE & ONE SIDE HIGHER THAN THE OTHER. MON, TOLD SERVICE MANAGER ABOUT LIGHTS. RESPONSE, "WE'RE SUPPOSED TO JUST REPLACE WHEELS." DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE RIGHT WHEELS OR NOT. I NEED A NEW CAR .DEALER NOT CONCERNED WITH PUBLIC SAFETY, ONLY PROFITS. I HURT EMOTIONALLY & PHYSICALLY! *TR

and

vehicle description: 2006 NISSAN 350Z VIN: JN1AZ36A06M
complaint location: SIMI VALLEY, CA complaint date: 07/30/2006
complaint description:

DT*: THE CONTACT STATED WHILE DRIVING 65 MPH ON NORMAL ROAD CONDITIONS, THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL SEPARATED FROM THE VEHICLE AND HIT THE RIGHT PASSENGER DOOR. THE CHROME WHEEL CENTER WAS OBSERVED TO BE STILL ATTACHED TO THE BASE WITH THE FIVE NUTS. WHEN THE OTHER WHEELS WERE INSPECTED, CRACKS APPEARED IN THE FRONT AND REAR WHEELS ON THE DRIVER SIDE. THE DEALER STATED THE CRACKS FROM THE WHEELS WERE DUE TO THE CHROMING PROCESS. UPDATED 08/29/06
and

vehicle description: 2006 NISSAN 350Z VIN: JN1AZ34D06M
complaint location: LOS ANGELES, CA complaint date: 10/11/2006
complaint description:

THIS COMPLAINT IS BEING FILED AS PART OF AN OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY PATROL INVESTIGATION INTO A MAJOR INJURY TRAFFIC COLLISION INVOLVING A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. THE CHP MAIT INVESTIGATION # IS SL-45-06. THE TRAFFIC COLLISION OCCURRED ON OCTOBER 11, 2006, WITHIN LOS ANGELES COUNTY AND INVOLVED A 2006 NISSAN 350ZX. DURING THE COLLISION, THE LEFT FRONT WHEEL SEPARATED FROM THE VEHICLE AND BOUNCED OVER THE FREEWAY DIVIDER AND IMPACTED A LAW ENFORCEMENT MOTOR OFFICER TRAVELING UPON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE FREEWAY. A PRELIMINARY INSPECTION OF THE WHEEL INDICATES A PROBABLE STRUCTURAL FAILURE OF THE WHEEL (MECHANICAL DEFECT). A REVIEW OF THE NHTSA COMPLAINT DATA BASE INDICATES THAT THE FAILURE OF THE WHEEL IS SIMILAR TO THE FAILURE NOTED IN NHTSA COMPLAINT #10164822. *NM
so far that seems to be the most serious one since it involved a CHP officer.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well. you lied to me. we're kind of done.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:18 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

The thing I find most interesting is question #8. If you find dents or cracks, you're supposed to call your dealer right away. I wonder if they will do something, especially if you're out of warranty. I may give them a call Monday just to see what they say about all of this.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Something else that is interesting...

Question #2 asks for the model but the choices do not include the Performance model which I believe has the same wheels as the 2003 Touring model (which is included in the choices).

That might just be an oversight since the Performance model is discontinued.

--Spike
Old 05-18-2008, 12:58 PM
StandardIdiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that you guys brought this up, After i bought my 03 350z all my 4 wheels were in perfect condition and i know because of the way i wash them. then one day about a week later i was walking out to my car and i found that one of the spokes on my rim was completely cracked all the way thru. The car is a touring edition with the 18 inch rims. I thought it was super strange and i know in that week i didnt hit any potholes. It just gave me an excuse to buy new wheels. Wierd. I hope there not breaking while people are driving and getting hurt.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phreaktor
Kayfunk?
Lol~ Your life long buddy now, I take it?? Didn't he give you a great deal on an exhaust or something?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damnit, I want questionnaire...
Old 05-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Master Shake

Original PE06050 case was closed in April 2007.

There is now an ongoing Engineering Analysis (EA07005).

-------------------------------------
NHTSA Action Number : EA07005 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
NISSAN / 350Z 2005-2007
Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Component :
WHEELS
WHEELS:RIM
Date Investigation Opened : April 3, 2007
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION (ODI) OPENED PE06-050 BASED ON TWO CONSUMER COMPLAINTS ALLEGING INCIDENTS OF WHEEL SEPARATION WHILE DRIVING DUE TO SPOKE FRACTURE. ONE OF THE INCIDENTS RESULTED IN A CRASH AND SERIOUS INJURY WHEN THE SEPARATED WHEEL STRUCK A CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY PATROL OFFICER ON A MOTORCYCLE ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE FREEWAY. DURING PE06-050, ODI DETERMINED THAT BOTH INCIDENTS OF WHEEL SEPARATION INVOLVED NISSAN WHEELS THAT WERE SUBJECTED TO AN AFTERMARKET "RE-CHROMING" PROCESS. BOTH INCIDENTS OCCURRED IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. INFORMATION PROVIDED BY NISSAN SHOWED THAT PROBLEMS WITH "RE-CHROMED" WHEELS WERE CONCENTRATED ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY IN CALIFORNIA. NISSAN HAS ISSUED DEALER BULLETINS, MOST RECENTLY IN AUGUST 2006, WARNING AGAINST "RE-CHROMING" WHEELS BECAUSE THE PROCESS MAY DAMAGE WHEELS. NISSAN ALSO SUBMITTED COMPLAINTS AND WARRANTY CLAIMS CONCERNING CRACKED SPOKES IN ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT NISSAN ALLOY WHEELS. THESE CLAIMS AND COMPLAINTS WERE NOT CONCENTRATED IN ANY PARTICULAR GEOGRAPHIC REGION, BUT WERE FEW IN NUMBER. ACCORDING TO NISSAN, MOST OE ALLOY WHEELS WITH CRACKED SPOKES CAN BE ATTRIBUTED TO IMPACT DAMAGE. THIS INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS TO FURTHER ASSESS THE CAUSES OF SPOKE CRACKING IN ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT NISSAN WHEELS AND IN WHEELS SUBJECTED TO "RE-CHROMING" AND TO ASSESS THE RISK OF ADDITIONAL WHEEL SEPARATIONS IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES.

Last edited by Master Shake; 05-19-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:14 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm not surprised to hear about this if it is true.. I think there are a couple of members here that had cracked stock rims after they powder coated them..

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/276900-cracked-06-rim.html
Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Master Shake

Originally Posted by leemik
Well I'm not surprised to hear about this if it is true.. I think there are a couple of members here that had cracked stock rims after they powder coated them..

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276900
I think most dealers send the wheels out somewhere to get chromed. Might depend greatly on where they sent them out -- and how well they done. I doubt they all when to the same place or even same company/chain. Maybe there were a few bad shops in the whole process?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've seen three different PC shops take in 06 wheels and they come out to crack a little down the line

What I fear most is... With the heat treatment to process the wheels, wouldn't it be similar to aging the wheel? So.. In a few years, what is going to happen to the non-altered 06 wheels.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Master Shake

Originally Posted by iStan
Well, I've seen three different PC shops take in 06 wheels and they come out to crack a little down the line

What I fear most is... With the heat treatment to process the wheels, wouldn't it be similar to aging the wheel? So.. In a few years, what is going to happen to the non-altered 06 wheels.
Good point. I think it applies to the 04/05 6 spoke wheels too, so those might start to show up even sooner. My wheels are 05 6 spoke, and were sent out by a dealer (hopefully, not in CA) to be chromed. This was when the car was new in 2005.

Last edited by Master Shake; 05-19-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone get the US Gov't Investigation Letter on Factory 350z Wheels?