Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tires Mounted Improperly

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 AM
dtoma_esq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Mounted Improperly

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some insight on tire wear, alignment and handling issues if the following new tires are improperly mounted as follows:

I bought four (4) new Yokohama S-Drive tires:
(2) 225/50R17 for the front wheels (sized 17x7.5)
(2) 235/50R17 for the rear wheels (sized 17x8.0)

Instead of mounting the tires as intended above, the service department mounted the 225 tires in the rear and the 235 tires in the front. So the wider tires are mounted in the front, rather than the rear of the vehicle. Note that the wheels are where they are supposed to be. The tires were just mounted on the wrong wheels. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the screw-up until I got home and started cleaning the car. I would have went back but the service department is now closed for the long Memorial Day weekend.

I will not be able to bring the car back to the service department until at least Thursday morning (so that's at least 5 days of driving on the new tires - let's say approx. 30 miles a day). So here are my concerns:

1. Premature/noticeable tire wear for that short period of time? Since the tires in the front turn and the ones in the back don't, I'm concerned that there might be a particular wear pattern to the 235 tires (currently mounted in the front) that will be undesirable when they are remounted correctly in the rear (specifically concerned with handling).

2. Compromised steering response and/or handling due to having wider tires in the front? Potential understeer/oversteer issues? I like to take my curves tight and hard, but I'm thinking I should drive like grandma for the next few days to play it safe.

3. Is it safe to assume I will need to rebalance and realign the tires once they are swapped and mounted properly? I'm thinking this is justified since the wheels in the front and back are slightly different in weight and size. At the very least I think rebalancing is in order.

I would appreciate thoughts on this matter, especially if you're knowledgeable in the area. However, all comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 AM
DaytonaRoadster
Banned

excellent first post, well written and stuff

i dont think you have to worry about it over such a short period of time. Espically if you take it easy. They should rebalance them for you since they screwed up. You'll be fine

Last edited by DaytonaRoadster; 05-24-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 AM
sbZenth

Dont worry about it. Take it easy on the tires and you will be fine.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is it that what seems to be the most common problem with tire stores is incorrect mounting? I had a unidirectional tire mounted the wrong direction once. Is that job harder than I believe it to be? I guess reading and comprehension aren't a requirement for hire.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:57 AM
sbZenth

yeah. way too underqualified employees ftl. Thats why you have to know where you get your tires mounted.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:30 PM
dtoma_esq

I appreciate everyones input thus far. If anyone else has thoughts on this, I would really like to hear it. As long as I can get through the next 5 days without causing undesirable wear patterns or damage/stress to the car's steering components, then I'll relax.

Although, I should mention that I did experience a subtle drifting/swinging action in the rear of the vehicle when taking fairly tight curves... it's one of the things that triggered me taking a closer look at the tires when I got home. It's warm out, the road is dry, the tires are inflated properly and, obviously, there is plently of tread (the tires have only been driven 15 miles). I'm thinking that having the wider tires in the front might cause the car to oversteer a little bit, which I believe would explain the drifting/swinging feeling in the rear of the vehicle.

Could there potentially be another problem - possibly the wheel bearing hub assembly? My baby is pushing 95K so I have to question if its more than just the tires. Any thoughts?

-Dave

Last edited by dtoma_esq; 05-24-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:45 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll be okay, call the service dept first thing on Tuesday AM & let them know you will be coming on Thursday so that they can fix their f*ck up. If the tires are directional make sure they get mounted in the proper direction. Welcome to the site & next time never drive off without checking the work
Old 05-24-2008, 01:07 PM
dtoma_esq

Thanks for the feedback. That seems to be the general consensus. The Nissan service department already knows about the screw-up.. called them up immediately after I discovered it. If I wasn't so concerned about the tires being mounted incorrectly, I would have blown right back down there at Z-warp speed.

I've actually been a member since 2003 when I first bought the Z. I'm not sure why my earlier postings were deleted.. I guess because I haven't been on here in quite a while. Regardless, I usually check the vehicle before I leave the service department. I was just in a rush today cause it took much longer than I expected (not to mention I was anxious to try out out the new rubber). So I completely agree with you - I can't tell you how many times those checks have saved me repeat trips to the service department. In fact, I usually watch them work on it (I'll stand hours at a time just to make sure things are done right). Just goes to show you what happens when you start getting comfortable and let your attention slip a little. I could tell you stories about the things that other Nissan dealerships have done to my baby.. it would blow your mind away. I love this car (treat it better than a new born baby), but I absolutely hate the service experience. If I had the time I would work on it myself.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have VDC?
Old 05-24-2008, 01:33 PM
dtoma_esq

No VDC
Old 05-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i see not major problems with them as long as you keep driving to minimum. as for their mess up, i would make them correct it at no charge. or better yet, have them give your money back for the install
Old 05-24-2008, 04:58 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dtoma_esq
No VDC
You are OK. The mix-up is no big deal.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:41 AM
dtoma_esq

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

Just as a follow-up, I took the Z out early this morning to grab some coffee and fill up the gas tank. On the way back, I found a large empty parking lot and decided to run a little test:

I get the car up to speed a little bit and take a pretty agressive curve to the left and I get a rumbling noise. I do the same thing, but now to the right and there is no rumbling noise. Since the weight shifts to the opposite side of the car when you turn, I think my front (at least it sounds like it's coming from the front) passenger side wheel bearings are shot or on their way out.

I also got on the highway and got the car up to about 65 mph and started feeling/hearing a rumbling vibration. As I increase my speed going straight (no turning or curves), the sounds gets a lot worse. I stopped at about 85 mph because I was going deaf (sounded like an avalanche), not to mention the car became extremely unstable. Could also feel a constant vibration in the pedals (not in the steering wheel though). Still sticking with my theory on bad wheel bearings. I'm going to lift the passenger side of the car later and see if there is play in the wheel just to confirm.

Any thoughts?